Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-on Tech (EJ255/EJ257 2.5L 2008+ WRX, STi, and GT) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Pro Tune vs. Cobb AP (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/pro-tune-vs-cobb-ap-31010/)

thesaltyguy 07-07-2011 09:09 PM

Pro Tune vs. Cobb AP

Been debating this topic for a few months...go pro or do it myself with an ap. I have heard all the pros and cons of both. Pro tune is made just for your car, while cobb ap is set maps from a base car they tested out in the middle of texas...differnent enivorment and all that good stuff. But hes my situation, got a 11 wrx, got cbe on it so far and lookin to put on a cobb sf intake and a invidia dp...know i need to get a tune once they r on....now i can get a ap for like around 500 give or take and i got a local tuner that will tune it around 300-400...pro tune sounds great ### it will tune it just to "my" car and no some smoes they dynoed in texas but w a ap i can do it right in my garage, and if anything ever came up i could reflash it to whatever i want....i'm curious to what yalll all think and whats best, more gains w/ pro tune???....thanks

brfatal 07-07-2011 09:13 PM

A protune is well worth the $800. Cobb's maps are base maps, not complete maps that would ideal for you to run the car with.

thesaltyguy 07-07-2011 09:20 PM

base maps and not complete maps....explain

rex2002 07-07-2011 10:46 PM

the route i went was cobb. yeah its a base map but still gave me plenty of power for the time being. right now im running stage 2. next is the 16g stage map. and then after that im throwing a sti short block in it. and the good thing about the cobb is that you can protune with the cobb to get all the hp for your car.also as a plus it has a lot of useful tools/code reader built into the cobb.

RcrsWetDream 07-07-2011 10:58 PM

How about just an OS tune? No need for an AP and the tune will run you 3-400 from a known shop.... I've never paid more than $150 for a tune though.

pzr2874 07-08-2011 05:32 AM

[quote=thesaltyguy;263887]base maps and not complete maps....explain[/quote]

Base maps=What is loaded or what you can download from the COBB website=OK for a little time but not ideal for a long time=a step up from a limp mode map.

Complete/Specific tune=What you want due to every car running different.

c2bcoolwrx 07-08-2011 08:42 AM

[quote=RcrsWetDream;263889]How about just an OS tune? No need for an AP and the tune will run you 3-400 from a known shop.... I've never paid more than $150 for a tune though.[/quote]

^^^^This.

You do not need a Cobb AP. Many shops do open source tunes (using a tractrix cable and a laptop). Thus, you will only be paying for a tune and dyno time. Cobb AP is really unnecessary, I used to have one sold it and went open source and have not looked back since.

Also, the OTS (off the shelf) maps from cobb are "one size fits all." Basically, they leave a lot to be desired and do not take all the factors of your car into play (elevation, gas quality, special quirks of you car). Basically, get a custom open source tune from a reputable/experienced Subaru tuner (not just any shop/any idiot) and you will have a much better performing car.

Its kind of like when everyone used to think they needed AOL to get the internet...it was super easy to use, but really not that good. Now we know we just need a connection and can use whatever software we want (Internet Explorer, Firefox).

pzr2874 07-08-2011 09:27 AM

^^ The OP needs ease over an OS tune.

Switching back and forth on the AP is MUCH easier than OS tuning. Especially when in warranty time (most of the warranty at least).

BTW... OS "base maps" are the same as the AP's OTS maps....

c2bcoolwrx 07-08-2011 03:30 PM

Whats hard about switch. Plug the cable in, turn on laptop, start software, switch tune. Really not that hard.

psinuse 07-08-2011 03:33 PM

[quote=pzr2874;263904]^^ The OP needs ease over an OS tune.

Switching back and forth on the AP is MUCH easier than OS tuning. Especially when in warranty time (most of the warranty at least).

BTW... OS "base maps" are the same as the AP's OTS maps....[/quote]

*raises hand*

thesaltyguy 07-08-2011 07:10 PM

i always thought OS tunes were for big over hauls, like bigger turbos or larger intercoolers, just thought id save myself some cash and look into the ap, but i want watns best for my car too. Want the most bang for my buck too. Knewn a pro tune was always better ### it tuned ## car to the fuel i use, the area or elevation i'm at and just makes the tune for my car only...ap is just a easy plug and play from waht i hear...easy

turmic 07-08-2011 07:27 PM

Its easy...it does get you some nice features in a small package. Other wise you have to tote your laptop around and a tractrix cable every where you go. While a AP can store away in your center console or glove compartment easily. You can be like Josh and have it hooked up 24/7 lol. Is it necessary to have? No, not everyone will like it or want it. But, its your personal opinion and your money. I own one and love it. Especially the last time I was breaking in my engine. God, I'd have a CEL about every 5 mins that I could just clear with my AP, turn my engine off at a convienant place, turn it back on, and drive for quite a while until it came back on. It turns out the front O2 sensor crapped out also, but it was a lot easier to carry a AP around then a laptop.

Edit: Your assumptions are correct. A protuned AP map is much better than a base or off the shelf map (OTS).

psinuse 07-08-2011 08:15 PM

*raises hand*

RcrsWetDream 07-08-2011 08:28 PM

Just follow this:

Convenience: AP
Cost effectiveness: OS

turmic 07-08-2011 08:28 PM

*slaps Keith's other hand with a ruler*