PowerFlo Oil Filters - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-13-2010, 09:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

LewdWRX is an unknown
PowerFlo Oil Filters

Has anyone heard of PowerFlo oil filters? I think the is a Puralator filter from what I can find.

Anyone have any issues with them? I found out this is what my shop uses. PowerFlo oil filters and Castrol Synthetic Blend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-13-2010, 09:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
Only use OEM! Cheap on line in 6 packs. Why not save labor and do it yourself? If your not changing it I hope mods don't get to crazy.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
#3 Old 08-14-2010, 11:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

LewdWRX is an unknown
What difference does it make who changes it, as long as they are a reputable shop?

I don't change it b/c I am VERY busy. I drive 35-40K a year in this car alone. I change my oil every month to month and half.

Why only OEM....Explain what the difference is. No opinions....what specific facts make the OEM part the BEST.
#4 Old 08-24-2010, 07:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I don't have the facts in front of me. But, Subaru probably has R&D'd their filter for turbo applications more than any OTS filter out there. OEM or a filter with a high micron filteration rating (meaning it cleans up dirt that other filters leave behind). That should pretty much be good enough for most.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#5 Old 08-25-2010, 10:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Yeah, I can't cite any specific facts either, but I know when I was researching different oil filters back in the day, I decided OEM filters were the way to go. I've used them since the car was brand new - now 20 times with either Redline or Royal Purple 5w30 synthetic oil and I have no complaints (no leaks, there were never any visible bits of debris in my oil every time I changed it, the prices are reasonable if you buy them in bulk - 6 packs or 12 packs can usually be found easily online).

I'm sure if you search around a bit, you can find some specific facts based on data.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#6 Old 08-26-2010, 07:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

LewdWRX is an unknown
Okay. I will take you guys word for it. For what it is worth I didn't go with this filter. I put a Bosch on this time due to the unavailability of a OEM unit. I will do a little more research.

My family has always used Wix on their circle track vehicles. These cars get a tear down after every couple races though. They always seemed to be pretty good.
#7 Old 08-26-2010, 08:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quite honestly, the brand of filter you choose doesn't really matter all that much. Sure, there may be some differences in the type or amount of filter medium they use, how it's packed inside the case, the amount of pressure they're rated for, the color and labeling of the damn thing... but the real benefit you get is replacing the oil and the filter on a regular basis. When it comes down to it, they all pretty much do what they're supposed to do - filter out some debris. What they can't do is filter out water - condensation that builds up inside your engine when it's turned off. I'm pretty convinced that most of the arguments you'll hear will be based on some test where one filter out-filtered another by however many particle bits or maybe one can hold a bit more pressure than the rest or someone cut them apart and measured the amount of filter material and one had slightly more than the rest or they like they way certain ones are packed inside the case or some filter material can hold slightly smaller particles than the rest... etc.

Other than that, many arguments will be from people who have used whatever filter for however many years and they're emotionally attached to them because they haven't failed on them yet or because they can get them super cheap and they're convinced they work just as well as the rest - actually, both of those apply to me with my precious OEM filters

But if you crave specific details and want information overload on the subject, www.bobistheoilguy.com is a nice place to search around for that kind of stuff.

John
#8 Old 08-26-2010, 09:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Wix filters are quite good and have been proven to be one of the best on the market for a while.

That said, I did just order a fresh 6-pack of oem filters + crush rings from subarugenuineparts on Tuesday. For $38 it's not a bad price for oem... Shipping on the other hand makes it a bit expensive.

-Chris
#9 Old 08-26-2010, 10:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
I did just order a fresh 6-pack of oem filters + crush rings
Ha! You're hooked on them too

I found a case for a reasonable price a while ago and I'm still working my way through it.

John