Perrin Lightened Crank Pulley - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-01-2010, 03:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

Ducks is an unknown
Perrin Lightened Crank Pulley

I'm thinking about getting a Lightened Crank Pulley for my 09 wrx but wanted to see what others thought about it. How hard is it to install and what benefits does it give and anything else anyone has to say that would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-01-2010, 09:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Install sucks because there is no tensioner on the AC belt. You have to either get a special tool to do it or have a friend under the car pulling on the belt like hell to get it back on.

Alternative: Put a tensioner on the car (there are still bolt holes for it) and use the belt I believe off of the LGT)

-Chris
#3 Old 06-01-2010, 12:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

02WRXbugeye is an unknown
I have had the perrin crank pulley on my car for 20k. I didn't notice much of a difference but it was cheap(got it for $35 brand new) and install wasn't that hard. If you have a friend to help out it makes it easier.
#4 Old 06-01-2010, 02:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

operadude is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
Install sucks because there is no tensioner on the AC belt. You have to either get a special tool to do it or have a friend under the car pulling on the belt like hell to get it back on.

Alternative: Put a tensioner on the car (there are still bolt holes for it) and use the belt I believe off of the LGT)
If you get the lightened pulley you will need to buy a new belt from Subaru. The replacement "stretch fit" belt comes with the special tool to install the Belt and it's not very difficult to install. Also the New pulley that Perrin Makes for the 2008+ models is designed so that you can easily get the belt back on. The Perrin 08+ model has a modified rear belt keeper or lack of one.
I bought the Perrin before the design change and the belt stretch tool Subaru provided with the belt didn't fit in the holes to keep the special tool in place properly. We held the tool in place with some plastic ties and the belt slipped on pretty easy.
I'm not sure if there was any performance improvement. There may have been but hard to tell.

Fabio
2008 VF52 WRX Opensource Magnus Motorsports Stage 3 Tune
#5 Old 06-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
I would not waste the money. Although I have not seen any adverse affects of it as of yet, I also saw no worth while benefits when the money could have been better spent elsewhere..

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#6 Old 06-01-2010, 06:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ducks is an unknown
Thanks alot that all helps. I dont think im going to get one
#7 Old 06-01-2010, 09:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vew View Post
I would not waste the money. Although I have not seen any adverse affects of it as of yet, I also saw no worth while benefits when the money could have been better spent elsewhere..
I agree with this statement. I've had one on my 07 WRX for over 2 1/2 years and 45,000+ miles and I'd honestly rather have the $99.00 + shipping I spent on it - except I didn't buy it... it was a gift. Not really worth it to me in retrospect, but for a ~$100.00 mod, it's decent, I suppose. I'd say if someone else buys it for you, it's good. If you have to shell out your own hard-earned dollars, it's probably not worth it, unless you just care about the bling factor and are happy to include it in your list of mods... so when someone asks you "what's done to your car?" and you can respond partially with "...and a Perrin lightweight crank pulley..." How's that for a mixed-opinion?

John
07 WRX