Perrin Drop in Filter - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 02-18-2010, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

sub08wrx is an unknown
Perrin Drop in Filter

i just ordered my drop in perrin filter, dose anyone have one, and did you notice any power diferince, are sound differince?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-18-2010, 11:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I have a K&N panel filter in my 07 WRX, and in fact, that was the very first mod I bought for the car and I installed it at 800 miles. Honestly, I didn't notice much of a difference between that and the stock filter since the whole car was basically brand new and I was still excited about it and breaking it in properly for the first 1,000 miles. It's really hard to notice a few hp difference just by driving it, but I'm sure it helped out a little.

Also, I realize your car is a 3rd generation and mine's a 2nd gen, but I'm sure the difference is probably about the same.

So, I guess to answer your question: no, I didn't notice any sound or power difference.

John
07 WRX
post #3 of 11 Old 02-18-2010, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

sub08wrx is an unknown
Thanks For The Imput
post #4 of 11 Old 02-19-2010, 03:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

Smokin'Joe is more helpful than not
I got mine right after the break in period along with the short throw shifter adapter from Perrin and I did notice a slight increase in turbo sound, but it's not always noticeable though. Just when your windows are all up and you get a quick spool. It already paid for itself though having to not buy the paper replacements. I like to clean it more often than recommended just to keep the air clean and odd smells out (or just hit recirculate on the airflow if you hit a smelly patch of road, lol). I definitely feel it was worth it IMHO.

Joe

Only use roads to get to the dirt; Then keep it sideways! >;D
post #5 of 11 Old 02-19-2010, 07:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Smokin'Joe: Do you know the car has two air filters? One in the plastic intake box (the one sub08wrx is referring to - many people replace that one with a K&N, Perrin, or other brand drop-in panel filter) and there is another one in the glove box - THAT one is the one that filters the cabin air (stuff that comes through your vents). The one in your intake box only filters air to be sent through your engine. Maybe you know that, but the way you worded your response made it sound like maybe you thought the filter in the intake box filtered your cabin air as well - it does not. Sorry if you already knew that, but I just wanted to make it clear for anyone else who might not know

I agree though, I've cleaned my K&N filter once already and I'm about to do it again and it's definitely a nice way to save a few bucks.

John
07 WRX
post #6 of 11 Old 02-20-2010, 07:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

Smokin'Joe is more helpful than not
Man Show, you would be correct in your first assumption that I was not aware of the cabin air filter in the glove box, lol. I'm going to have to check that out :P Learn something new everyday! Good lookin' out man---show, haha

Joe

Only use roads to get to the dirt; Then keep it sideways! >;D
post #7 of 11 Old 02-20-2010, 08:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

ratfink is a helpful contributing member
Neither of my cars came with the cabin filter, I had to buy one for both of them. Made a pretty big difference in exhaust smell when following someone.

Brad

AEM CAI, Perrin ELH wrapped, Catted Downpipe, Stage II XPT tune, K4RT30Y STS, lip, shark fin
post #8 of 11 Old 02-21-2010, 10:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

Yeah, I just recently read that the cabin air filter is an optional part to be installed at the discretion of the dealership (most probably don't waste the time/money actually doing that). I'm curious to see whether or not I actually have one. I ordered one and intend to change it (or actually install it) as part of my 60k maintenance. Some people put a nice smelling dryer sheet in theirs, but I think I'm just going to rock the plain filter and see how that goes.

John
07 WRX
post #9 of 11 Old 02-25-2010, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

sub08wrx is an unknown
got the filter yesterday and put it in, no power differince but can hear the turbo spool up a lil louder not much, and with the quick spool to 4 grand u can here the bov valve every now and then, but well worth the 40 bucks
post #10 of 11 Old 04-01-2010, 10:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

10046252 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub08wrx View Post
got the filter yesterday and put it in, no power differince but can hear the turbo spool up a lil louder not much, and with the quick spool to 4 grand u can here the bov valve every now and then, but well worth the 40 bucks
Just ordered mine. The last thing I wanted to throw in there before I put all the parts I ordered on the car.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-01-2010, 02:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
I noticed a difference in sound, not power.

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2