Perrin Downpipe Question - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 06-02-2010, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Speedy308 is an unknown
Perrin Downpipe Question

Whats going all, Just got a 09 WRX Hatch and was looking to purchase a downpipe and AP as my first mods. I was leaning towards Perrin's downpipe and I was curious on whats people thoughts are on the signle piece downpipe they offer. I had a Mazdaspeed 3 and had a two piece downpipe. I know the single piece DP's are harder to install on the Speed3 but I dont know if that is the case here. Also is there any problem with that long of a downpipe not flexing? Also is this one of the better downpipes for the car. I personally lke the divorced wastegate pipe design of the downpipe. I had god luck with it on my Speed3. Glad to be a proud owner of the WRX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-02-2010, 07:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
the perrins fine. with the cat it isnt the best for power or spool but if you wanna be legal go for it. i had it and it fit perfect and only perrin makes a two piece. that being said one pieces are easy to install and have no problems!! thats why everyone else only use one pieces. perrin only makes a two piece because it has two cats to be super legal.

if you want to save money and get more power i highly recommend Invidia. the fit and finish are also top notch and its cheap! fredbeansparts.com has both and the best prices guaranteed!! just call though, there internet prices are higher then what they'll sell for.

if your near a tuner i wouldnt buy the AP. its $595 and OTS maps they come with dont have a lot of punch in them because there made super super safe. you can spend $350 on a custom open source tune and get a lot more power while still being safe.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
post #3 of 18 Old 06-03-2010, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Speedy308 is an unknown
Thanks for your help. I went with the Perrin one piece downpipe for 470. actually lower than the invidia on that site. I know you said he will sell for cheaper but its all around the same price. I figured one piece would be good, plus less chance of leaking.

So I will be getting the Perrin CAI as well. I wasnt planning on taking the car to a tuner right away. So taking it to a creditable Subie tuner will be able to tune it without a AP or similar device? Thats sweet if thats the case.

Again, thanks for the help. I'm stoked! Oh and yes I want to stay legal, they have emissions here and I went through the troubles of a catless downpipe with the Mazda, Dont feel like messing with uninstalling and reinstalling for emissions testing.
post #4 of 18 Old 06-03-2010, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Speedy308 is an unknown
Another question for someone on here if they have this or know anything about it. If doing a perrin downpipe and CAI, looks like perrin offers maps for the AP. Now while most stage 2 maps only take in acount the exhaust, would the perrin map for the cai and downpipe be worth the investment?
post #5 of 18 Old 06-03-2010, 03:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy308 View Post
Thanks for your help. I went with the Perrin one piece downpipe for 470. actually lower than the invidia on that site. I know you said he will sell for cheaper but its all around the same price. I figured one piece would be good, plus less chance of leaking.

So I will be getting the Perrin CAI as well. I wasnt planning on taking the car to a tuner right away. So taking it to a creditable Subie tuner will be able to tune it without a AP or similar device? Thats sweet if thats the case.

Again, thanks for the help. I'm stoked! Oh and yes I want to stay legal, they have emissions here and I went through the troubles of a catless downpipe with the Mazda, Dont feel like messing with uninstalling and reinstalling for emissions testing.
wow really? i just got the Perrin 4-5 months ago for $370 and the catless Invidia i have now for $255 shipped.

re-think the Perrin CAI. i personally hate the foam filters. TurboXS uses K&N and i only paid $170 shipped for that from fred beans again.

correct you dont need a AP to tune. a tuner should have software and a laptop to just plug into your ECU. you can even buy this. i dont know the software but the hook in device is called a Tactrix cable. he'll tell the ECU what to do and save the map inside. the only downside is you only have one map unless you buy that Tactix cable. then he can make multiple maps and with your laptop you can go in and switch. you'll also be able to log runs, read CEL's do everything the AP does and the cable is only $180. you see the AP works a little better because its so small but spending more money isnt my thing. plus the laptop is better to read and do things on.

ya we have testing around here too. you either put your OEM DP back on, (which in these cars its very easy) or you take your heat shield off your OEM DP and weld it to your new DP. when looking the new DP looks like it has a CAT . the tuner will also make the car run like stock at idle so you'll pass a sniffer test too.

post #6 of 18 Old 06-03-2010, 03:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Another question for someone on here if they have this or know anything about it. If doing a perrin downpipe and CAI, looks like perrin offers maps for the AP. Now while most stage 2 maps only take in acount the exhaust, would the perrin map for the cai and downpipe be worth the investment?
they do have a OTS map for the CAI which is nice. again only if you live no where near a tuner the AP works the best. the AP still costs $595 while a custom tune will be 300-400. again the map Perrin or Cobb makes will not get as much power as the custom tune. if you want all the functions of the AP then by all means buy it. if you want the most out of your car then you need a custom tune which will throw away the AP maps. so you'll spend 595 plus 300-400. again if you dont mind a laptop spending $180 plus 300-400 gets you all the same stuff but keeps a few hundred in your pocket.

post #7 of 18 Old 06-03-2010, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Speedy308 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
wow really? i just got the Perrin 4-5 months ago for $370 and the catless Invidia i have now for $255 shipped.

re-think the Perrin CAI. i personally hate the foam filters. TurboXS uses K&N and i only paid $170 shipped for that from fred beans again.

correct you dont need a AP to tune. a tuner should have software and a lot top to just plug into your ECU. you can even buy this. i dont know the software but the hook in device is called a Tactrix cable. he'll tell the ECU what to do and save the map inside. the only downside is you only have one map unless you buy that Tactix cable. then he can make multiple maps and with your laptop you can go in and switch. you'll also be able to log runs, read CEL's do everything the AP does and the cable is only $180. you see the AP works a little better because its so small but spending more money isnt my thing. plus the laptop is better to read and do things on.

ya we have testing around here too. you either put your OEM DP back on, (which in these cars its very easy) or you take your heat shield off your OEM DP and weld it to your new DP. when looking the new DP looks like it has a CAT . the tuner will also make the car run like stock at idle so you'll pass a sniffer test too.

Wow, his website says like 480 something. Do you think he would drop it that much if i called! So the intake is not good huh... I personally have never been a fan of the oily K&N filters though.

Hmm, that gives me alot to think about...i could just buy the cable and take my car to a tuner. I will use a dashawk for logging so thats no biggy.

Damn is that filter bad is or that a personal preference cause i ordered it...can be cancelled though.
post #8 of 18 Old 06-03-2010, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Speedy308 is an unknown
Quote:
they do have a OTS map for the CAI which is nice. again only if you live no where near a tuner the AP works the best. the AP still costs $595 while a custom tune will be 300-400. again the map Perrin or Cobb makes will not get as much power as the custom tune. if you want all the functions of the AP then by all means buy it. if you want the most out of your car then you need a custom tune which will throw away the AP maps. so you'll spend 595 plus 300-400. again if you dont mind a laptop spending $180 plus 300-400 gets you all the same stuff but keeps a few hundred in your pocket.
makes sense...I wasnt planning on taking it to a tuner anytime soon so i was leaning towards the AP with the ability to go in the future and use the ap to have the ability to change back to stock tune if needed for some reason. That website you referenced is selling ap's for 495. Now do you know if cobb's maps have tunes for intakes or would i have to purchase the perrin maps?
post #9 of 18 Old 06-03-2010, 03:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Wow, his website says like 480 something. Do you think he would drop it that much if i called! So the intake is not good huh... I personally have never been a fan of the oily K&N filters though.

Hmm, that gives me alot to think about...i could just buy the cable and take my car to a tuner. I will use a dashawk for logging so thats no biggy.

Damn is that filter bad is or that a personal preference cause i ordered it...can be cancelled though.
hmm, well they just re-did there website and all there prices went up. my front mount on there site was only $960 and i got it for $935. now it says $1000 or something. just call and tell them a month ago it was $370 so what gives, ask for Jeremy. everytime i call they knock a hole bunch off.

the intake is good. well i never heard anything bad about them which means they made the MAF housing correct. the filter is here nor there. people love one or hate another. its your call. i just thought since everything on my car is just about TurboXS and it was so cheap id go with that. and its turned out great so far. they make good stuff and are way cheaper then most companies. lol my CBE was only $449 shipped from fred beans again!!

post #10 of 18 Old 06-03-2010, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Speedy308 is an unknown
Quote:
hmm, well they just re-did there website and all there prices went up. my front mount on there site was only $960 and i got it for $935. now it says $1000 or something. just call and tell them a month ago it was $370 so what gives, ask for Jeremy. everytime i call they knock a hole bunch off.

the intake is good. well i never heard anything bad about them which means they made the MAF housing correct. the filter is here nor there. people love one or hate another. its your call. i just thought since everything on my car is just about TurboXS and it was so cheap id go with that. and its turned out great so far. they make good stuff and are way cheaper then most companies. lol my CBE was only $449 shipped from fred beans again!!

Very nice! Yeah I will call and ask whats the deal with the higher prices....See what they will give them to me for. Thanks. I will stick with the perrin intake then, hope its good for me
post #11 of 18 Old 06-03-2010, 03:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
makes sense...I wasnt planning on taking it to a tuner anytime soon so i was leaning towards the AP with the ability to go in the future and use the ap to have the ability to change back to stock tune if needed for some reason. That website you referenced is selling ap's for 495. Now do you know if cobb's maps have tunes for intakes or would i have to purchase the perrin maps?
lol the 495 is not for your car, they get you in with that! perfect advertising.

sounds like the AP is for you then and for the time being. just remember your car will see more power down the road. also that map is made for cars all over the US for 12 months out of the year. they dont run perfect for everyone. if you hit fuel cut or boost cut by over boosting it fells like your car hits a brick wall!! it will scare the crap out of you but its ok. it happens a lot with OTS maps, specially when it gets colder. they cant make one map work for everyone everywhere.

EDIT: and as far as i know Cobb doesnt have a CAI map, specially not for a Perrin haha. you'll prob have to buy it or just buy from Perrin, there all $595 no matter what.

post #12 of 18 Old 06-03-2010, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Speedy308 is an unknown
Quote:
lol the 495 is not for your car, they get you in with that! perfect advertising.

sounds like the AP is for you then and for the time being. just remember your car will see more power down the road. also that map is made for cars all over the US for 12 months out of the year. they dont run perfect for everyone. if you hit fuel cut or boost cut by over boosting it fells like your car hits a brick wall!! its will scare the crap out of you but it ok. it happens a lot with OTS maps, specually when it gets colder. they cant make one map work for everyone everywhere.
HAHA Yeah i see the "Starting at" part now. Yeah my speed3 hit fuel cut in the winter, sucks! I know the tunes are alittle conservative since they have to accomedate everyone, but i dont want to push the car that much either... so down the road, I will go with a custom tune, but once i get the money I may just do a ap....who knows. I got time to figure it out.
post #13 of 18 Old 06-04-2010, 12:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

crazyfast is an unknown
dont have too much to say about the specific down pipe ir intake being discussed, but i do have some input on the foam filter.

i'm on the formula sae team for my school and we have done extensive flow analysis's on all types of intake and filter combos for our engine package. we've shown over and over that foam filters tend to flow a LOT better than even the K&N cotton ones per filter size. they aren't as easy to clean sometimes sure, but if you want fast foam is what you want. thats all assuming that the filter is designed right of course.

just my $.02
post #14 of 18 Old 06-04-2010, 01:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

people like me hate the foam filter though becuase it flows more air, it flows more dirt into the motor also. i wouldnt use them in any dirty places with sand ect. i dont know just not for me from what ive seen before.

post #15 of 18 Old 06-04-2010, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Speedy308 is an unknown
Quote:
people like me hate the foam filter though becuase it flows more air, it flows more dirt into the motor also. i wouldnt use them in any dirty places with sand ect. i dont know just not for me from what ive seen before.
Yeah thats never good. If I get to feeling uncomfortable with it, there are always other filters...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement