Perrin cold air intake - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-27-2010, 03:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

458Italia is an unknown
Perrin cold air intake

Hey guys, I was wondering if a Perrin cold air intake would provide any performance on a stock tuned car. Or, would it be bad for the car because of the non tuned fuel-air mixture. Perrin claims that it would not hurt a stock tuned car, but I wanted to run it by you guys to get some feedback. Here's the link : Perrin Performance - Intake Cold Air WRX STI 2008 - 10. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-27-2010, 04:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I ran it on mine for 6 or so months with no ill results. I don't think it really helps though, its more for the sound. It may have added a bit during tuning, but I'm not sure.

-Chris
#3 Old 06-01-2010, 10:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

soup_notzee is an unknown
will not hurt your car.
#4 Old 06-06-2010, 06:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

Speedy308 is an unknown
Be careful, Installed it on mine w/ a Perrin downpipe and I felt a big difference in the low end and the car felt slightly sluggest around 4-5k then more power up top. The sluggishness was because the car was running lean between 4-5k rpms. I was seeing in the 16:1 range. I uninstalled it and the car's a/f's are nice a rice and the car runs smoother. Pissed cause now i have a intake sitting around until I can go get a tune.
#5 Old 06-06-2010, 12:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
^^i cant beileve you did that with no tune. these cars run so dangerously lean from the factory it scares the crap out of veteran tuners. at 16:1 you could have blown that motor in under a second or two. that is serious blown motor territory. not to mention the DP WILL cause over boost on the stock tune, so 16:1 plus 18-20psi on a stock map, consider yourself extremely lucky, if you didnt do heat damage to the piston tops already.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
#6 Old 06-07-2010, 09:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

soup_notzee is an unknown
speedy's situation was because of the downpipe and CAI, not just the CAI like the OP is asking.
#7 Old 06-10-2010, 07:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

Speedy308 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
^^i cant beileve you did that with no tune. these cars run so dangerously lean from the factory it scares the crap out of veteran tuners. at 16:1 you could have blown that motor in under a second or two. that is serious blown motor territory. not to mention the DP WILL cause over boost on the stock tune, so 16:1 plus 18-20psi on a stock map, consider yourself extremely lucky, if you didnt do heat damage to the piston tops already.
I KNOW, luckily i noticed it right away in 1st-2nd gear and wasnt hitting but 14psi max, so thats why i took it off right away, its now sitting in the box. Trust me, that car is not seeing that intake again until tuning time. God that could have been bad. Screw Perrin for advertizing their product like the car will be all fine and dandy when its obviously not.

Soup: regardless of dp or not, that car is not going to be running safe a/f's with that intake.
#8 Old 06-16-2010, 09:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

mxrtoso is an unknown
so on a 08 wrx it would do the same? make it run bad? or would it be ok? all i have is a COBB AP stage 1
#9 Old 06-16-2010, 12:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
^^call perrin if you get there CAI. they can send you a map to run there CAI safely. i think you need a DP also. it will be a stage 2 map but with CaI also.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
#10 Old 06-26-2010, 01:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
^^call perrin if you get there CAI. they can send you a map to run there CAI safely. i think you need a DP also. it will be a stage 2 map but with CaI also.
They will charge him something like $180 for that map.

Perrin's intakes require custom tuning to use.
#11 Old 10-07-2010, 09:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

jfariasiii is an unknown
I just bought an 11 wrx. Can You recommend an intake, down pipe, and exhaust plus a good place to have it tuned in the LA area? Thanks in advance.
#12 Old 05-24-2011, 11:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

jimbo058 is an unknown
I have been running the Perrin Cold-Air Intake with a SPT Stainless-steel dual-exhaust system on my '09 WRX. I installed the "Stage 1 + CAI" Accessport program supplied by Perrin. The car runs great! I drove it around the neighborhood for awhile, and then took it out to the open road and punched it. It took off like it had rocket boosters. The thing runs like a stripe - ed ass ape !!! My buddy couldn't handle it past the top of 3rd gear. He said "Ok, Ok ... slow down ... slow it down"! It sure satisfied my need for speed, and kudos to Perrin for a custom program that definitely feels by the seat of my pants faster than the baseline Stage 1 program that came with the Accessport. Remember with any kind of mods, all the pieces must be in place for performance and safety !!!
#13 Old 05-31-2011, 03:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

Bulldog71ss is an unknown
I noticed a bit of a gain on the 08, not massive, but more than I thought it would add. Spool up time was the biggest benefit really.
#14 Old 05-31-2011, 08:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

OBEE_Racing is an unknown
I have an 08. I didnt drive my car tuned with the PERRIN CAI for maybe 6-8 months i wanna say? I never had any problems, it just ran lean like expected, actually resulting in a nice little gain in MPG.

I ordered my accessport from PERRIN also then with some other stuff. The map was included in the price. you selected you WRX SPEX. like (year) (stage) (octane your car runs) The gave me a call couple hours later to confirm my mods, had the map i think the next morning in my email.

Chris - 2008 WRX sedan w/ vf52 setup now!
#15 Old 05-31-2011, 03:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

Bulldog71ss is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEE_Racing View Post
I have an 08. I didnt drive my car tuned with the PERRIN CAI for maybe 6-8 months i wanna say? I never had any problems, it just ran lean like expected, actually resulting in a nice little gain in MPG.

I ordered my accessport from PERRIN also then with some other stuff. The map was included in the price. you selected you WRX SPEX. like (year) (stage) (octane your car runs) The gave me a call couple hours later to confirm my mods, had the map i think the next morning in my email.
I forgot about that. My mileage went up as well, about 1.5 mpg on average.