Over spooling the turbo? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 09-16-2009, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BLK09WRX is an unknown
Over spooling the turbo?

Not sure what it is, but I just had the COBB TBE and AP with stage 2 map installed on my 09 wrx. It pulls great and sounds awesome. But sometimes when I get on it in the higher rpm's it'll make this whistleing noise and the motor will stop gaining power. I can press on the gas but nothing will happen while making that noise. Not sure if anyone knows what this might be. Overspooling the stock turbo or maybe just something simple as a leak at the downpipe. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance, Chris.

Last edited by BLK09WRX; 09-17-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-16-2009, 05:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
Does it do it all the time? what rpm does it happen?i dont think its overspooling the turbo but i could bewrong. i would check for and leaks like you already said..
post #3 of 19 Old 09-16-2009, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BLK09WRX is an unknown
It doesn't do it all the time but I've only had it since monday and it did it that day when I was on the highway getting ready to pass a car. I was too close to home to turn around and go back to the shop. I emailed them this question too but still waiting on a reply. It's done it 3 times. I'll get to around 4-5k rpm's and it'll make that noise and stop accelerating.
post #4 of 19 Old 09-16-2009, 09:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

Maxman is an unknown
I just bought a 2004 WRX wagon and I have what sounds to be the same problem, mine started as a whistle at around the higher rpms and that was the day I drove it off the lot. I didn’t think twice about it. Now it sounds like two whistles at anywhere from 1900-redline. It’s going into the shop tomorrow. My father road in it and thinks it may be the turbo…not looking forward to that on the count that I just replaced the one in my Saab 95 (w/64,000 mi) for around $1400. Also the dealer said it may be a loose belt, I tightened them and it made no difference, maybe it will for you.
post #5 of 19 Old 09-16-2009, 09:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxman View Post
I just bought a 2004 WRX wagon and I have what sounds to be the same problem, mine started as a whistle at around the higher rpms and that was the day I drove it off the lot. I didn’t think twice about it. Now it sounds like two whistles at anywhere from 1900-redline. It’s going into the shop tomorrow. My father road in it and thinks it may be the turbo…not looking forward to that on the count that I just replaced the one in my Saab 95 (w/64,000 mi) for around $1400. Also the dealer said it may be a loose belt, I tightened them and it made no difference, maybe it will for you.
well whatever it is....dont get stuck paying for it. You have a 90 day warranty?
post #6 of 19 Old 09-17-2009, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BLK09WRX is an unknown
Haven't had a chance to check for any exhaust leaks but I ran the Accessport to see what it was pushing on boost and it would read -8.0 at idle. The lowest it got was -9.9 and the highest boost was 19.1 psi. Does this sound normal? I know stock the 09 is around 13-14 psi.
post #7 of 19 Old 09-18-2009, 03:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

Smokin'Joe is more helpful than not
My stock '09 5 door is running 20Hg in idle and max psi is 14 ish (don't have the digital stuff to tell me what's in-between the lines). Just for comparison though... You have a tuned map and a turbo back exhaust (I have the cat back SPT forgot to mention) so it's definitely going to run different. Makes me curious if the turbo to DP is leaking for sure unless you have an aftermarket BPV. Get a buddy and have an ear near the turbo when spooling up. Bet you that's what it is.
post #8 of 19 Old 09-18-2009, 06:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

midniteblack is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to midniteblack
Sounds like you may be having a boost leak somewhere. check all of your rubber couplers around your intercooler to make sure they're on securely and tight. Also check around for any loose hoses, like around your BPV, turbo and intake manifold area.
post #9 of 19 Old 09-18-2009, 09:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

ratfink is a helpful contributing member
For stage 2, 19lbs sounds about right.

BTW you can't get the turbo to build boost with no load on the engine. You'd have to lift the car and e-brake it to get boost to build sitting still.

Brad

AEM CAI, Perrin ELH wrapped, Catted Downpipe, Stage II XPT tune, K4RT30Y STS, lip, shark fin
post #10 of 19 Old 09-19-2009, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BLK09WRX is an unknown
Well, I checked all the hoses going to the intercooler and the bpv and everywhere else and they all seem just fine. The only thing I can think of is maybe there is a leak where the downpipe meets the turbo. Of coarse I don't have a jack or jack stands to get up under the car and check so I'll just take it to an exhaust shop and have them take a look for me.
post #11 of 19 Old 09-19-2009, 05:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

09dub is an unknown
i dont think that would b the case... i belive you would hear a very loud exhaust leak.
post #12 of 19 Old 09-22-2009, 01:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
With a whistling sound, I wouldn't look for an exhaust leak, I'd start with areas that can have a whistle sound, like the stock BPV. I have heard that some people leak at around 20 lbs. 19 isn't that far off. Given if all the other hoses and connectors are tight, it's more likely going to be something internal. (I don't think the wastegate would make that sound, but check the AccessPort to see wastegate duty when you're driving. Is the boost dropping when it happens? I've never actually used the "logging" function of the AP, but I'm sure you could do a run (legally, please) to briefly make the car do it, and then stop and check the log. See what the scenario is when you do the pull. If boost drops, you can narrow it to a leak in the "boosted portion" of the manifold/BPV. Are you still on the stock BPV? I guess I could have asked that first.
post #13 of 19 Old 09-23-2009, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BLK09WRX is an unknown
Yea I'm still using the stock bpv. I'm not sure what aftermarket one I want to get. My wife wants it to make the cool blow off sound but all I really care about is if it works good for the car. I'll take it out either today if I have time or tomorrow and post the results up on here as soon as I can so you guys can check it out. Also, thanks everyone for the input. I'm not new to turbo'd cars but the subaru is a whole new beast than I'm used to dealin with. But I'm glad because I'm learning...so once again, thanks.
post #14 of 19 Old 09-24-2009, 12:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

shaky1 is an unknown
Is it a metallic-sounding whistle or just air? The metal squeaking whistle could be compressor surge. Comes from over revving a small turbo. Had it on my rx7
post #15 of 19 Old 09-27-2009, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BLK09WRX is an unknown
Well, I don't know if I just didn't do it right but the AccessPort didn't save the info so all I can tell you right now is the boost portion. It spikes up to 19 but it tapers off and stays at a constant 12-13psi. That seems pretty low to me. Any ideas of maybe a boost leak somewhere. I haven't been able to find any leaks and I'm running out of ideas.