Old vs. new FP Green turbo? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 08-11-2010, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Old vs. new FP Green turbo?

So my goal since I got my STi was to accumulate the parts for a nice turbo swap in the garage as I get deals on them and save them in the garage until it's complete. This guy is selling an old and new style green at killer prices. I have no idea what the difference is. I don't want something with a lot of lag, I love quick acceleration. Is one of these better than the other for that?

New Style FP Green Turbo for Subaru WRX/STi

Old Style FP Green Turbo for Subaru WRX/STi

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-11-2010, 08:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
absolute nothing, because neither of those are 3"inlet or HTA housings, mitsubishi just updated the TD06 compressor housing.
But both of those are GREAT PRICES....I would buy both if I were you and sell one on NASIOC and it'll pay for both

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #3 of 17 Old 08-11-2010, 08:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
also I would be weary of the "newer" style one. It's missing the FP model plate, and they are identical to any TD06 frame turbo. It should look like this.
Attached Images

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #4 of 17 Old 08-12-2010, 02:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Either someone has lost their mind pricing those like that, or there is a catch.
post #5 of 17 Old 08-12-2010, 03:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

betting you there are blown seals in both

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #6 of 17 Old 08-12-2010, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Well I'll know soon. He says there is no shaft play, but I'm having them inspected tomorrow by Surgeline. I asked if "hypothetically a turbo had little to no shaft play, could there still be something wrong inside?" He says basically no, they can usually tell with a visual inspection. This true?

And Basco...What kind of spool time should I expect? These turbos reasonable to rebuild? You seem to be familiar, I'd be very appreciative of a quick rundown. All I know is what I read on their site, and they only have the HTA green description.

Oh, and he said the nameplates just came off, but he bought them new...I dunno. I guess if I get a clean bill of health from the shop and they confirm they are what he says, does it matter?

-Brandon
post #7 of 17 Old 08-12-2010, 08:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
Well I'll know soon. He says there is no shaft play, but I'm having them inspected tomorrow by Surgeline. I asked if "hypothetically a turbo had little to no shaft play, could there still be something wrong inside?" He says basically no, they can usually tell with a visual inspection. This true?

And Basco...What kind of spool time should I expect? These turbos reasonable to rebuild? You seem to be familiar, I'd be very appreciative of a quick rundown. All I know is what I read on their site, and they only have the HTA green description.

Oh, and he said the nameplates just came off, but he bought them new...I dunno. I guess if I get a clean bill of health from the shop and they confirm they are what he says, does it matter?
as for the visual inspection question, yeah a good professional can tell just pretty much by looking and feeling it out.

spool time: because your a 2.5 I would expect it to start to come on-line about 3500RPM with full boost before 4250. On my 2.2 stroker it was very daily drivable around town, the only time I had issues with it was top gear acceleration from any speed below 45, but as soon as I would cross 50 it would wake up enough to get me around.

Rebuild: FP charges 450 for a base rebuild but it gets outragous fast and most people end up paying FP between 600 and 800, and I've been quoted 300-380 from some very very high end turbo shops for a complete rebuild (Mikes Turbo and The Boost Lab) and, because the FP Green is a mitsubishi/garrett combination there are a plethora of rebuild parts out there.

as for the HTA, all that did was increase the power potential for the Green by about 30-50BHP no real change in spool up like the larger frame HTA's

and the model plate is riveted on so I don't think it would be that easy for it to just come off

-Matt

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #8 of 17 Old 08-12-2010, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Sounds good. Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it man. Tried to give you rep, apparently I did it before, it won't let me

I'll update with how it goes. I'm going to call the shop tomorrow, probably pick them up tomorrow or Saturday.

-Brandon
post #9 of 17 Old 08-12-2010, 10:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

haha it's all good, I'm just glad I can share my knowledge.

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #10 of 17 Old 08-14-2010, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

YA, that just happened. 2 FP greens for a great price. Go me.

They checked out with a clean bill of health. Little to no play. The guy at the shop said he rarely sees turbos that do still have the nameplates. Could just be him, but that's what he said. Thanks for the help, I'll be selling one on Nasioc and get a free turbo out of the deal.

-Brandon

Last edited by Chase; 08-16-2010 at 11:10 PM. Reason: No need to flaunt prices :)
post #11 of 17 Old 08-14-2010, 11:24 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Good deal Brandon. Now we just have to sit around and wait until you install it, lol.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #12 of 17 Old 08-24-2010, 08:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
GL.....If I was you. I'd be in the market for a Bigger TMIC, Injectors, 3 port BCS, and FP. But, I know you're probably already doing that. I stayed away from FP for personal reasons...but, it'd be nice to see what you get.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #13 of 17 Old 08-25-2010, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Thanks man, I've kind of been going rounds with my tuner, trying to decide where to go with the motor next. With the money I could get selling the turbo, I could get a bigger IC, IC chiller kit, protune and meth to max out the potential of the VF39. I LOVE the spool time I have now, and I am honestly happy with it.

But the car guy in me wants to see 400 hp. I don't know how happy I'd be with something that didn't come alive until after 4000 rpms. Plus my tuner and I both think if I throw on this turbo, it won't be long until I'm looking at a full rebuild, which I'd like to avoid.

You guys can weigh in, pros and cons, max out the stage 2 or go for it?

-Brandon
post #14 of 17 Old 08-26-2010, 12:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
I wouldn't be all that concerned about the spool time, as the only time you can't change that is in first gear. Lag is easily overcome with a simple downshift and our gears are short enough you're talking about a fraction of a second before you have full boost. You'll also get that amazing satisfaction, and regardless, we're all on a road that will likely take us to a rebuild of the transmission and then the block. I just like to know power is there. I really don't use it all that often. When I want it, I need it to be there, but I am pretty happy keeping my foot off the pedal as I don't feel like I need to prove anything. I'd say build it with the FP. It's not irreversible, so it's not like you can't go back if you're genuinely dissatisfied with it.
post #15 of 17 Old 08-26-2010, 11:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Well, without the supporting mods...it would be silly to just do the turbo. My turbo spools a little bit later than the VF39...but, it pulls like a champ to redline. I do miss the earlier spool, but its either downshifting to get a quick kick in the pants to get the car going or just wait a extra second to then get the full kick of the turbo. Either way...I love the feel of the new turbo. I just want to see how it performs with cooler air and a new tune in the winter.

But, its up to what you can spend and how much you can afford.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement