oil in intercooler 09 wrx - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 11-21-2009, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
oil in intercooler 09 wrx

on my race bikes and cruisers i always get rid of the stock "Kleen" systems which pumps O2 into the exhaust to help with emissions and routes the crank case breather line into the air box. this is good for the enviorment but causes the nasty back firing with race exhausts and doing wheelies and the 16,000 rpm red lines WILL pump oil up into the air box! which sucks because you get oil all over everthing. it is however illegal to change that because if your motor blows they want the oil to get caught in the air box and in the combustion chamber before it goes threw the exhaust and onto the track.

even though its illegal to touch the crank case vent, everyone still removes the O2 pumps and lines which is legal but everyone still routes the crank case breather line to the Reed valves where the O2 pump used to sit, so the oil will go into the exhaust and get burned up instead of getting into the air box. as long as the motor doesnt blow we are talking about a very very very small amount of oil day to day so the exhaust can handle it and burn it up with no problems or white smoke ect!! it also adds some horse power due to the Reed valves put a suction in the crank case which moves the pistons better and blah blah blah

NOW my question. since every motor is basically the same i know the wrx has to have a crank case breather line. WHERE IS IT?? and when i popped my intercooler for the first time i saw oil around the turbo mounting location. which means oil is once again like the bikes, being aloud to get up into the intake system! Perrin sells a oil catch can but it seems like the WRX needs 3 of them because theres more than just a crank case vent.

who here has either used a catch can or found a way to route the crank case line and the other 2 im hearing about into the exhaust system??? im sure routing into the exhaust is fine because the amount of oil i saw was 2 maybe 3 drops which is nothing. i just dont want it to keep building and building in my intercooler and where ever else? pics and a how to would be nice. Perrin only tells you how and i dont want to cut the wrong lines, there seems like a WHOLE LOT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-21-2009, 06:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jose002 is an unknown
Holy Wall of text batman! and I actually have no clue. PM a Mod and theyll help you out.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-22-2009, 01:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
Catch Can Pictures Directory

If you click the compare directory it one of the photos has lines marked out so you can see what lines are being used.

Also, by doing a search on NASIOC I found a thread all about these that ought to help you out. It has a couple how tos and what-not. That's where I actually found this photo for you.

Catch Can FAQ - NASIOC

I read through it for a while and I believe it has everything you'll need to know. Everything I read sounds like it only takes 2 for our cars. I hope this helps!
post #4 of 8 Old 11-22-2009, 01:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
The oil is coming from the turbo...not the intake, btw. The turbo is oil & coolant cooled. The oil will slip past the turbo and make its way into the intercooler eventually.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-22-2009, 02:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
It's just blow by... Just set up your catch cans and it'll be reduced significantly. make sure to use two tho, one coming off the valve cover vent and the one from the PCV. It happens with most cars, just ours have the intercooler to cool the air and when that happens the oil vapor condenses and turns back into a liquid. I'll be putting a couple on mine when I do my FMIC to keep it clean inside.

-Chris
post #6 of 8 Old 11-22-2009, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
easyer said than done when i dont know what to be cutting and tapping into. to many lines running every which way.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-25-2009, 01:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
I dunno if this really helps 100%, but here's a diagram of the PCV connection and intake duct for our cars. I couldn't find anything awesome for the blow by gases yet.

intake_duct.gif
post #8 of 8 Old 11-25-2009, 10:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
http://www.perrinperformance.com/sha.../asmeng600.pdf

The instructions for the perrin unit have some descriptions on how to find what you need.

I was wrong about the PCV too, I meant crank case vent. PCV works but then the can will see vacuum and boost and that can be bad if it's not rigid.

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement