New to tuning, in need of some advice - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 09-22-2010, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
MMR
WRXtuners Member

MMR is an unknown
New to tuning, in need of some advice

Good morning WRX tuners!

i recently (2 months ago) acquired a 2010 WRX sedan (big fan of the rally blue WRX), and everything is still stock. I would be looking to do some soft tuning to my new baby, but i am new to this entire tuning universe, and all the guides i could find only pointed to older models of my car. If any of you peoplecould give me a few words of advice on wich parts i could buy, and in wich order you would recommend doing it, i would be very gratefull.

now on to my needs:

-ideally keep the whole project under 6000-7000$ (im aware that is quite a short budget for tuning)
-im not looking for a 450 HP monster. But the more bang i can get out of the budget, the better it will be
-i would love to have more aggresive engine sound, as i feel that my engine doesnt growl a lot (i read something somewhere about replacing the CAI and/or exhaust being the solutions to this, but they required other mods beforehand in order to not damage your engine).

So i was thinking about the following:
Perrin performance stage 2 kit
new injectors, potentially fuel pump (if stock doesnt do)
top mount intercooler and a cold air intake (Perrin package)
a turbocharger, but i do not know much about those. however im aware that they all have different specs, and i would be looking for lower-end boost and lower boost-lag possible (hence the top moint intercooler).

I would like to know if my project makes any sense, of if i did any blatant mistakes in the choosing of the parts. any feedback on those would be greatly appreciated.

I'm aware there could have been a guide posted to this somewhere in the forums, but i could not get my hands on it, so i decided to get a new thread started.

I thank you for your time, and hope i can get some good advice here!

Dwayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-22-2010, 01:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

anxiouz is an unknown
With that big of a budget you can go nuts. I would just go read a ton of forums to see what other people have done. It sounds like you don't know too much about modding these cars so I can't recommend spending a few grand on parts that you don't know what they do.

If you're a total novice then getting a "power package" from Perrin or Cobb is the easiest way to go.
post #3 of 17 Old 09-22-2010, 02:28 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
If you are looking for power, first thing to do is read up on EM (Engine Management). After deciding which you like (and/or a tuner depending if you have one close and can talk to). Then its a DP (Down Pipe), CBE (Cat Back Exhaust)...that will be covered by most generic maps. Then after that theres a bigger IC (Intercooler; be it FMIC or TMIC), a 3 port BCS (Grimmspeed is top notch), a CAI, bigger injectors and fuel pump. That can most likely max out your stock turbo, but also needs custom tuning (either road or dyno tune). Other things are headers, manifold things of that nature depending on how much you want to get into. If you do all those (headers and manifold not really needed) you will be pretty much setup for a turbo upgrade if you ever want to go into it.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #4 of 17 Old 09-22-2010, 09:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

chrischilders22 is an unknown
^^^^ pretty much what he said. ive put roughly $4000-5000 in mine and i have right around 300whp, and she scootssssssssss haha. its alot of power

my mods;

Turbo xs Front mount intercooler $1100
turbo xs DP $250ish
Turbo xs Cold air intake $220ish
walboro 255 fp $100ish
3 port boost control solenoid $100-120ish
Cat back exhaust $600-1000ish (just depending)

and then a tune. some people go with access ports, i just get mine tuned by a tuner.

thats what i have and my car hauls butt. im going to do injectors and e85 tune next, that should bump the power up a bit. any more than that and the trans and clutch come into play

turbo xs DP,turbo xs cai, turbo xs FMIC,3port BCS,walbro255 fp, spt catback, perrin BOV, 300ish whp
post #5 of 17 Old 09-23-2010, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
MMR
WRXtuners Member

MMR is an unknown
Thanks for the replies, it did point me what i should be searching for.

after a few hours of googling around, i was wondering wich brand i should go for, considering i will most likely start with a stage 2 mod? Perrin's seem nice (despite a few horror stories i found on NASIOC); but i heard some good of COBB (although i cannot seem to find any stage 2 package for the 2010 wrx).

i assume the stage 2 would net me some noticable performance increase, as well as a louder engine growl? or would the CAI be more what i should look into for noise? Also is the CAI + stage 2 covered by the maps on perrin's accessport? (i guess the answer is that im better off with a protune, but i was just wondering)

Dwayne
post #6 of 17 Old 09-23-2010, 12:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Just pickup the "stage2" goodies first... then from there you can see what you like.... don't go all at once with you car.... It will benefit you and everyone on the streets if you learned your newfound power before you go balls to the wall .... The downpipe alone will assist on a little noise you might want. I would stand clear of a CAI mainly because of your location. SRI will suffice (after your exhaust is done) <-- My .02

I would personally go with COBB products when you can.... Their R&D is 2nd to none.

I'm not too sure the Perrin staged maps include their CAI and TMIC goodies.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #7 of 17 Old 09-23-2010, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
MMR
WRXtuners Member

MMR is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Just pickup the "stage2" goodies first... then from there you can see what you like.... don't go all at once with you car.... It will benefit you and everyone on the streets if you learned your newfound power before you go balls to the wall .... The downpipe alone will assist on a little noise you might want. I would stand clear of a CAI mainly because of your location. SRI will suffice (after your exhaust is done) <-- My .02
Please elaborate on why i should stay clear of a CAI? im curious!

Also, on the topic of newfound power, just imagine, two months ago i was rolling with a Nissan NX1600 1993, everything was still stock, despite good maintenance, that car had 350000 kilos... and i bought a 2010 rex. when day and night isnt enough of a gap to describe the difference...

Last edited by MMR; 09-24-2010 at 12:15 PM.
post #8 of 17 Old 09-23-2010, 03:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I'm not a fan of CAI's simply because of the water and snow.....

More power to ya.....

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #9 of 17 Old 09-23-2010, 06:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

anxiouz is an unknown
The CAI puts the air filter way down low so if you live in a place where you get lots of rain or snow that melts and leaves big puddles...there's always a chance that the intake could get wet. And if you suck water into the engine = hydro-lock = car is dead.
post #10 of 17 Old 09-23-2010, 07:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

red104dr is an unknown
I'm surprised no one jumped all over you on the CAI question. Most people will advise against them because they have a tendency to through off the MAF sensors signal that is so critical for maintaining proper fuel/air mixture. I ran one at stock tune, but had to remove it after doing some mods, because I was seeing a too lean condition in the engine.
post #11 of 17 Old 09-24-2010, 08:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

^^ He's addressed the CAI issue because of Perrins maps... he needs to call Perrin on it... if it's tuned for... why not ?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #12 of 17 Old 09-24-2010, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
MMR
WRXtuners Member

MMR is an unknown
on the topic of the maps, i contacted perrin performance last night for informations, and they offered me a free map if i bought the CAI direct from them, so i am not too worried about running too lean (although id probably rely on a protune over perrin's but it could do alright)

only thing that would worry me is pzr2874's point... rain here isnt that bad, but we do have 3-4 fts of snow during winter here (dont even try, i know you guys are jealous!). and i do not intend on missing the fun with my new AWD ride... i guess i will have to do without a CAI, i wouldnt want to risk my engine over something as stupid as snow getting in and blowing it up unless there are any ways around?

Last edited by MMR; 09-24-2010 at 03:28 PM.
post #13 of 17 Old 09-24-2010, 01:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

Gains aren't that big on a CAI... maybe 10-15Hp tuned....

Don't get me wrong... snow wont mess with the ingesting problem....

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #14 of 17 Old 09-24-2010, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
MMR
WRXtuners Member

MMR is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Don't get me wrong... snow wont mess with the ingesting problem....
but what about anxiouz's reply saying water and snow puddles potentially messing up the engine and your line about not being a fan for those specific reasons?

Also, the CAI was mostly for the sound, but from what i ahve found out, the difference is barely noticeable, and the power gain, as you poijted out to me, is quite small (10-15 hp). i would be better off saving my money for something more worthwhile
post #15 of 17 Old 09-24-2010, 02:25 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
You can get the same sound using a short ram intake if thats all you want.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"