Subaru WRX Forum banner

New to modding. Don't know much yet. Help!

7K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  arewmors 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I just got my 11 sti sedan last week. I'm kind of new to the modding scene but I definitely want to start Makin my sti faster. For right now I would like to make it at least a Stage 2 but I don't know exactly what I would need to do so. I know a downpipe, intake and stage 2 tune. But is there anything else that would be good or something I'm missing? Or anything that would make stage 2 even better? I would like to keep my exhaust from the axel back if possible, it came straight piped from the axel back but idk if it's a full exhaust or just axel back or a custom. Help is greatly appreciated. Sorry for the noob-ness
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
First step
go buy a Cobb access port either a v3 or a v2

Second step
While your on cobb's sight, but their catted downpipe, catless dp you will be spending more to prevent boost creep and other problems

An intake is optional but it will add a little extra speed, I would suggest AEM CAI since this is the set up I am running.

Then once you get that stuff in, go to a local muffler shop and have them make you a custom 3" strait pipe catback muffler delete will be your cheapest option(around $100)

Oh and this should have come first but welcome to the forum, pics of your new baby would be great too ;-D

Also what is your future goal for your car performance wise?

#3 ·
Thanks so much. I talked to a guy at the dirt bike shop that sponsors me ### he's a Subie guy and I asked him about doing a tune because he tunes, just to give it some more power right now till I get the money for stage 2 and he told to get an air/fuel gauge and that the UEGO (I think that's what he said) was a good one, is that necessary? Thanks for the help!

And here she is! I'm in love with it, put over 1000 miles on it already in a week lol. 2011 charcoal Grey with 54k miles. Already plasti dipped the emblems and silver bar on the trunk and sides, as well as the chrome trim on the windows.

Attachments

#5 ·
Wow she is a very beautiful car! And I am diggin the gold rims as well! And if you get an Cobb Access port, you won't need the gauges till later, you can read so much on that little thing, it is pricy but very well worth it!! For going stage two right now! I actually posted a thread about gauges a few weeks back asking the locals if they are needed and for the most part I got no.
Also did you buy the car bone stock or does she have mods on her?

#6 ·
Okay. And it's all stock except the exhaust, it's either a muffler deletion, or a whole new exhaust, or both lol I haven't dug into and looked at it real well because I have been driving it so much. All I know is that it sounds absolutely amazing and is loud. It's perfect really I think. It's loud but it's a smooth and clean kind of loud, not raspy at all. Probly one if the best sounding Sti's I have heard. I will try to get a good video and post it to YouTube then on here soon.

#7 ·
If the guy at the dirtbike shop knows what he's doing and your going to have him tune your car then take whatever advice he tells you. just ask questions and do research on his tuning abilities before you pull the trigger on such a make or (literally) break investment. Ask for references or talk to people he's tuned. My tuner highly prefers you to have a wideband for him to tune it. Most tuners either have one for use during tuning sessions or want you to have one. You must have a bung for the sensor in your dp for a uego though.

#8 ·
Welcome

1st-a guy you know tunes? Research it.... your car needs a great tune... not a good tune.

2nd-gauges, research what you think you know and then look a little bit more (oil pressure, oil temp, boost and AFR)

3rd-they covered most if not all of it.

She sure is puuuurrrrdy

#9 ·
The only thing you NEED for a stage 2 setup is the DP. Def stay catted and roll with Cobb, Invidia, or Nameless IMO as they're tried and true! A full TBE (turbo back exhaust) will give you a "true" stage 2 setup, but on the 08+ only the DP is really needed...compared to earlier gens. And if you do buy a CBE, for the love of god please buy something reputable and not straight pipes. Just my personal opinion. You stated you don't want "raspy" and that's what straight pipes will give you.

And an intake is pretty much pointless unless you want the added intake/spool noise. Take that $200 you'd spend on that and upgrade the shifter assembly. The "upgraded" setup on the STi's is still a joke compared to say a "Super Shifter Set" from TiC. But you def don't need the intake for a stage 2 setup. If you want the noise go for it, but def don't if you're looking for HP gains. They'll be extremely minimal!

And with tuning I'd find a Subaru specific tuner. Like Boo said this is the one thing you absolutely can't compromise on or accept second best. Def get yourself an AP though as it's the first thing you'll need everytime you change anything, and it also allows you to monitor a lot of things you couldn't if you were OS tuned like myself.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#14 ·
I have a 2012 WRX. I achieved 335hp/390tq with catless turboback exhaust, typhoon intake and a fuel rail kit, 1000id fuel injectors as well as a DW fuel pump (all running off of E85) I have an open source tune though, not a fan of the accessport. Good luck on future modding!
crank HP I hope?

#18 ·
New to modding as well , just picked up my 2014 WRX sedan

I ordered a CAI for it. After that im lost. I just want to get it to around 3HP. Any suggestions ? also Ive been told that once you get intake and exhuast done , then it needs to be tuned or I run the risk of damaging the engine ... is this true ?

Will post pics soon.

#19 ·
YES! Very true! You must tune for a CAI and DP (downpipe). If you don't you run the risk of doing damage and throwing codes, not good! You can pick up a Cobb AP and tune your car. The AP has pre-made tunes called OTS maps for your car. They have tunes for your car with just a Cobb intake, stock intake, or AEM intake. Also they have tunes for your car with one of those three intakes and any catted DP you install. Then it is highly recommend that you get a protune from a local tune/performance shop, that will put your car on a dyno and tune it. Or if you don't have any local performance shops then you can get an etune, which is used with the AP and a shop will work with you via email to get your car tuned correctly. You must tune for an intake and downpipe though. A cat-back does not need a tune if you want to get one right off that bat. Do your research before purchasing and installing mods to your car. It will save you time, money, and headaches in the long run. If you are unsure, then ask questions, by starting a new thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.