New to modding. Don't know much yet. Help! - Subaru WRX Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 12-24-2013, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Ryan510 is an unknown
New to modding. Don't know much yet. Help!

Hey guys, I just got my 11 sti sedan last week. I'm kind of new to the modding scene but I definitely want to start Makin my sti faster. For right now I would like to make it at least a Stage 2 but I don't know exactly what I would need to do so. I know a downpipe, intake and stage 2 tune. But is there anything else that would be good or something I'm missing? Or anything that would make stage 2 even better? I would like to keep my exhaust from the axel back if possible, it came straight piped from the axel back but idk if it's a full exhaust or just axel back or a custom. Help is greatly appreciated. Sorry for the noob-ness
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-24-2013, 11:43 PM
Premium Member

Nathan21 is an unknown
First step
go buy a Cobb access port either a v3 or a v2

Second step
While your on cobb's sight, but their catted downpipe, catless dp you will be spending more to prevent boost creep and other problems

An intake is optional but it will add a little extra speed, I would suggest AEM CAI since this is the set up I am running.

Then once you get that stuff in, go to a local muffler shop and have them make you a custom 3" strait pipe catback muffler delete will be your cheapest option(around $100)

Oh and this should have come first but welcome to the forum, pics of your new baby would be great too ;-D

Also what is your future goal for your car performance wise?

Nathan
2011 WRX Premium
2012 Fozzy
1979 C3
Anti-BOV Gang!
post #3 of 19 Old 12-25-2013, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Ryan510 is an unknown
Thanks so much. I talked to a guy at the dirt bike shop that sponsors me ### he's a Subie guy and I asked him about doing a tune because he tunes, just to give it some more power right now till I get the money for stage 2 and he told to get an air/fuel gauge and that the UEGO (I think that's what he said) was a good one, is that necessary? Thanks for the help!

And here she is! I'm in love with it, put over 1000 miles on it already in a week lol. 2011 charcoal Grey with 54k miles. Already plasti dipped the emblems and silver bar on the trunk and sides, as well as the chrome trim on the windows.

Attached Images

post #4 of 19 Old 12-25-2013, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Ryan510 is an unknown
And future plans, not sure yet. Would like to be stage 3 within the year. Only set plan so far. Just kinda goin with it

post #5 of 19 Old 12-25-2013, 02:47 AM
Premium Member

Nathan21 is an unknown
Wow she is a very beautiful car! And I am diggin the gold rims as well! And if you get an Cobb Access port, you won't need the gauges till later, you can read so much on that little thing, it is pricy but very well worth it!! For going stage two right now! I actually posted a thread about gauges a few weeks back asking the locals if they are needed and for the most part I got no.
Also did you buy the car bone stock or does she have mods on her?

Nathan
2011 WRX Premium
2012 Fozzy
1979 C3
Anti-BOV Gang!
post #6 of 19 Old 12-25-2013, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Ryan510 is an unknown
Okay. And it's all stock except the exhaust, it's either a muffler deletion, or a whole new exhaust, or both lol I haven't dug into and looked at it real well because I have been driving it so much. All I know is that it sounds absolutely amazing and is loud. It's perfect really I think. It's loud but it's a smooth and clean kind of loud, not raspy at all. Probly one if the best sounding Sti's I have heard. I will try to get a good video and post it to YouTube then on here soon.

post #7 of 19 Old 12-25-2013, 10:12 AM
Premium Member

boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
If the guy at the dirtbike shop knows what he's doing and your going to have him tune your car then take whatever advice he tells you. just ask questions and do research on his tuning abilities before you pull the trigger on such a make or (literally) break investment. Ask for references or talk to people he's tuned. My tuner highly prefers you to have a wideband for him to tune it. Most tuners either have one for use during tuning sessions or want you to have one. You must have a bung for the sensor in your dp for a uego though.
arewmors and Nathan21 like this.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #8 of 19 Old 12-26-2013, 12:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Welcome

1st-a guy you know tunes? Research it.... your car needs a great tune... not a good tune.

2nd-gauges, research what you think you know and then look a little bit more (oil pressure, oil temp, boost and AFR)

3rd-they covered most if not all of it.

She sure is puuuurrrrdy

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #9 of 19 Old 12-26-2013, 03:36 PM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
The only thing you NEED for a stage 2 setup is the DP. Def stay catted and roll with Cobb, Invidia, or Nameless IMO as they're tried and true! A full TBE (turbo back exhaust) will give you a "true" stage 2 setup, but on the 08+ only the DP is really needed...compared to earlier gens. And if you do buy a CBE, for the love of god please buy something reputable and not straight pipes. Just my personal opinion. You stated you don't want "raspy" and that's what straight pipes will give you.

And an intake is pretty much pointless unless you want the added intake/spool noise. Take that $200 you'd spend on that and upgrade the shifter assembly. The "upgraded" setup on the STi's is still a joke compared to say a "Super Shifter Set" from TiC. But you def don't need the intake for a stage 2 setup. If you want the noise go for it, but def don't if you're looking for HP gains. They'll be extremely minimal!

And with tuning I'd find a Subaru specific tuner. Like Boo said this is the one thing you absolutely can't compromise on or accept second best. Def get yourself an AP though as it's the first thing you'll need everytime you change anything, and it also allows you to monitor a lot of things you couldn't if you were OS tuned like myself.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
boo-key, Nathan21 and Sub14WRX like this.

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
post #10 of 19 Old 12-26-2013, 04:23 PM
Premium Member

boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
^^great advice. Listen to this guy^^

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #11 of 19 Old 12-27-2013, 11:51 AM
Premium Member

Nathan21 is an unknown
Wow Brandon WTG for hittin the nail on the head on that one!!

Nathan
2011 WRX Premium
2012 Fozzy
1979 C3
Anti-BOV Gang!
post #12 of 19 Old 12-30-2013, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Ryan510 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by the RIOT act View Post
The only thing you NEED for a stage 2 setup is the DP. Def stay catted and roll with Cobb, Invidia, or Nameless IMO as they're tried and true! A full TBE (turbo back exhaust) will give you a "true" stage 2 setup, but on the 08+ only the DP is really needed...compared to earlier gens. And if you do buy a CBE, for the love of god please buy something reputable and not straight pipes. Just my personal opinion. You stated you don't want "raspy" and that's what straight pipes will give you.

And an intake is pretty much pointless unless you want the added intake/spool noise. Take that $200 you'd spend on that and upgrade the shifter assembly. The "upgraded" setup on the STi's is still a joke compared to say a "Super Shifter Set" from TiC. But you def don't need the intake for a stage 2 setup. If you want the noise go for it, but def don't if you're looking for HP gains. They'll be extremely minimal!

And with tuning I'd find a Subaru specific tuner. Like Boo said this is the one thing you absolutely can't compromise on or accept second best. Def get yourself an AP though as it's the first thing you'll need everytime you change anything, and it also allows you to monitor a lot of things you couldn't if you were OS tuned like myself.

Thank you. You helped a lot!

post #13 of 19 Old 12-31-2013, 10:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

lfuller1988 is an unknown
Modding

I have a 2012 WRX. I achieved 335hp/390tq with catless turboback exhaust, typhoon intake and a fuel rail kit, 1000id fuel injectors as well as a DW fuel pump (all running off of E85) I have an open source tune though, not a fan of the accessport. Good luck on future modding!
the RIOT act likes this.
post #14 of 19 Old 12-31-2013, 08:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfuller1988 View Post
I have a 2012 WRX. I achieved 335hp/390tq with catless turboback exhaust, typhoon intake and a fuel rail kit, 1000id fuel injectors as well as a DW fuel pump (all running off of E85) I have an open source tune though, not a fan of the accessport. Good luck on future modding!
crank HP I hope?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #15 of 19 Old 12-31-2013, 10:03 PM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
crank HP I hope?
Werd! He should def be at atleast 350HP on e85 with those mods. You know me though...OS fan.

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan