New Guy & A Little About Me - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 09-18-2010, 09:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

Satin-T-Rex is an unknown
Adam welcome once again! I'm sorry i believe we got off on the wrong foot. I am Dan, I drive a 2010 WRX Hatchback in Satin Pearl White (hense the Satin-T-Rex). Now before I continue lets get one thing straight! The 2010+ Subaru's have NOTHING to worry about concerning said engine problems etc. I posted on NASIOC.com another subaru forum, and the guys were VERY helpful in explaining to me all problems have been resolved. NO WORRIES and thats coming from me. Any way on with business! If there is one thing I can to do make your life 10x better or to "pay it forward" etc. etc. without question it would be to GET A WRX! These things are a blast to drive in all conditions. You would really get the chance to have some fun in the summer on the mountain roads of Colorado. And even better be able to tear up the parking lots in the winter. The list goes on but I will try to keep things short. As anyone on here will tell you... if you can't find your answer don't be afraid to ask. Any way in case you didn't know for the money the stock WRX is QUICK. Thats why mods are all the more fun. To answer your questions I am going to give you a few links. The first is to Cobb's website obviously. They claim Stage 2 will cause you to see increases of 16% horsepower and 20.5% torque. If you do the math that is roughly 307hp and 294 ft/lbs. at the crank. I am not sure exactly at the wheels but a proper dyno is the only way to know for sure. As for what those numbers might look like on the track? Well that's what I have attached the Car and Driver link for. They actually took and 09 to the Stage 2 level. Now yes they did spend a lot of money on a custom tune. But not to worry that was only because they added a cold air intake, which not only isn't a must but also doesn't bring you many gains. Any way check both of these out, and feel free to ask questions.

CobbTuning.com - 10 AccessPORT

Five Steps to Making More Power in Your Subaru WRX - Gear Box - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 09-18-2010, 09:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

Satin-T-Rex is an unknown
I am not to familiar with the tranny situation so I can't comment. Although from what I have read the 5 speed seems SO junky I would assume the best way to "bulletproof" it would be to get rid of it. Again don't quote me. As for power from what I have read the stock motor is good for around 350hp at the wheels (safely). After that pretty much your only option would be to go for forged rods and heads. In which case your looking at spending some money. If I may add my 2 cents . I am not sure if you are aware but unlike today's muscle cars (i.e mustangs), WRX's only weigh in at roughly 3,250lbs. That is about 250-500 pounds lighter then a lot of other performance vehicles on the road. That being said although 275 or 300hp doesn't sound like much, at the wheels of a car that light i think you'd be surprised at its ability to go. I mean after all that much power at the wheels is around 350-375 at the crank. If I were you I would start with Cobb Stage 2, then just add an intake, top mount intercooler (TMIC), and Walbro 255 fuel pump then top it off with a Pro Tune on your local dyno. If I am not mistaken something like that should put you at around anywhere from 300-335 at the wheels. Which remember is probably going to be damn near 400 at the crank. Not to mention all together with labor should only run you a few thousand. 400chp+3,2350=.... come on now you do the math.
#18 Old 09-18-2010, 04:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

Lucky7s is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satin-T-Rex View Post
Adam welcome once again! I'm sorry i believe we got off on the wrong foot. I am Dan, I drive a 2010 WRX Hatchback in Satin Pearl White (hense the Satin-T-Rex). Now before I continue lets get one thing straight! The 2010+ Subaru's have NOTHING to worry about concerning said engine problems etc. I posted on NASIOC.com another subaru forum, and the guys were VERY helpful in explaining to me all problems have been resolved. NO WORRIES and thats coming from me. Any way on with business! If there is one thing I can to do make your life 10x better or to "pay it forward" etc. etc. without question it would be to GET A WRX! These things are a blast to drive in all conditions. You would really get the chance to have some fun in the summer on the mountain roads of Colorado. And even better be able to tear up the parking lots in the winter. The list goes on but I will try to keep things short. As anyone on here will tell you... if you can't find your answer don't be afraid to ask. Any way in case you didn't know for the money the stock WRX is QUICK. Thats why mods are all the more fun. To answer your questions I am going to give you a few links. The first is to Cobb's website obviously. They claim Stage 2 will cause you to see increases of 16% horsepower and 20.5% torque. If you do the math that is roughly 307hp and 294 ft/lbs. at the crank. I am not sure exactly at the wheels but a proper dyno is the only way to know for sure. As for what those numbers might look like on the track? Well that's what I have attached the Car and Driver link for. They actually took and 09 to the Stage 2 level. Now yes they did spend a lot of money on a custom tune. But not to worry that was only because they added a cold air intake, which not only isn't a must but also doesn't bring you many gains. Any way check both of these out, and feel free to ask questions.

CobbTuning.com - 10 AccessPORT

Five Steps to Making More Power in Your Subaru WRX - Gear Box - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver

I didn't think we got off on the wrong hand. Thanks for the information.
#19 Old 09-18-2010, 04:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

Lucky7s is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satin-T-Rex View Post
I am not to familiar with the tranny situation so I can't comment. Although from what I have read the 5 speed seems SO junky I would assume the best way to "bulletproof" it would be to get rid of it. Again don't quote me. As for power from what I have read the stock motor is good for around 350hp at the wheels (safely). After that pretty much your only option would be to go for forged rods and heads. In which case your looking at spending some money. If I may add my 2 cents . I am not sure if you are aware but unlike today's muscle cars (i.e mustangs), WRX's only weigh in at roughly 3,250lbs. That is about 250-500 pounds lighter then a lot of other performance vehicles on the road. That being said although 275 or 300hp doesn't sound like much, at the wheels of a car that light i think you'd be surprised at its ability to go. I mean after all that much power at the wheels is around 350-375 at the crank. If I were you I would start with Cobb Stage 2, then just add an intake, top mount intercooler (TMIC), and Walbro 255 fuel pump then top it off with a Pro Tune on your local dyno. If I am not mistaken something like that should put you at around anywhere from 300-335 at the wheels. Which remember is probably going to be damn near 400 at the crank. Not to mention all together with labor should only run you a few thousand. 400chp+3,2350=.... come on now you do the math.
Yeah, that's sick that the car can run 13.1 in the 1/4th...with less than 300 horsepower. I would imagine that 350 horsepower would put you around the mid 12 second mark easily.
#20 Old 09-18-2010, 09:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Forged heads? Never heard of that....

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae