New Guy & A Little About Me - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 08-13-2010, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Lucky7s is an unknown
New Guy & A Little About Me

Name is Adam, I currently reside in Florida, and am 21. I have lived in Florida for the past 12 years, but plan on moving to Colorado as soon as possible. I am a double major in Finance and Marketing, and hope to get my masters in both. I, for the most part, love all kinds of cars. I love muscle cars, exotic cars, sporty sedans, sport cars, you name it.

As of recently, I have really started to consider buying the new 2011 WRX sedan. I love how it looks and performance wise, it has quite a bit of potential. The WRX also offers AWD, which is huge, for when I do move to Colorado here soon. The WRX also has room in the back, unlike most sporty cars now a days, with the exception of a few.

I have narrowed down the selection to three cars... the first being the WRX sedan, the second, being the new turbo'ed sonata, and the last choice, would be the genesis coupe. I personally believe the 11' WRX sedan leads in the race however.

I have come here to learn as much as possible about the WRX/STI.

To conclude, you might ask...if you get the WRX...what are your plans? Color wise, Red. I would love to do some kind of carbon fiber lip, new rims, new brakes, maybe take the wing off the STI and get a carbon fiber version...maybe do a carbon fiber vinyl wrap for the roof. Performance wise? Basically bolt on's and a tune for now. Maybe within a year, maybe less, depending on things, maybe a turbo upgrade. I wouldn't want more than 475hp.

-Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-13-2010, 11:18 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
You chould probably look into the STI (thats what most people will tell you). Either way you will need an engine build if you want that much power, more than likely the transmission will need rebuilt (especially the WRX). But the WRX is a great car, lots of fun even at stock power levels. Keep reading around and you will find out the proven ways to get what you want out of your car. Good luck with your decision.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #3 of 20 Old 08-15-2010, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Lucky7s is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
You chould probably look into the STI (thats what most people will tell you). Either way you will need an engine build if you want that much power, more than likely the transmission will need rebuilt (especially the WRX). But the WRX is a great car, lots of fun even at stock power levels. Keep reading around and you will find out the proven ways to get what you want out of your car. Good luck with your decision.
There are a few reasons as to why I won't be getting the STI.

1). I can't afford a 35k car, right now
2). I want to do something different (I don't follow the path most taken)

Realistically, right now, I will probably just do the basic bolt on's, a nice aggressive tune, and cosmetic upgrades that I talked about. I am sure the 350 horsepower range would be attainable without having to build the engine up, or having to rebuild the transmission.

I agree, the wrx is a nice car. Probably one of the main reasons, as to why I am looking at getting this car. Not to mention, moving to Colorado, the WRX would be the ideal car for me, being AWD and all.

I will definitely stay, and read around, and what not. Thanks.
post #4 of 20 Old 08-15-2010, 11:16 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I understand not being able to afford the STI, thats why I have a WRX. Having 350 HP might not break the tranny, but you better treat the car with ALOT of respect then. I have 330HP and my clutch didnt last too terribly long (but there was other factors also). If you upgrade the clutch it just puts more stress ont he gears, not really a good idea. And 350 HP is about the limit to the stock pistons. The car/engine could last a day, a year, who knows but that depends again on the tune and your driving habits. Again Im not trying to discourage any of this, I myself am doing it (just got a new transmission in stalled) and wont let anyone tell me different either. Just trying to share what I know and have gone through already.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #5 of 20 Old 08-22-2010, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Lucky7s is an unknown
Quote:
I understand not being able to afford the STI, thats why I have a WRX. Having 350 HP might not break the tranny, but you better treat the car with ALOT of respect then. I have 330HP and my clutch didnt last too terribly long (but there was other factors also). If you upgrade the clutch it just puts more stress ont he gears, not really a good idea. And 350 HP is about the limit to the stock pistons. The car/engine could last a day, a year, who knows but that depends again on the tune and your driving habits. Again Im not trying to discourage any of this, I myself am doing it (just got a new transmission in stalled) and wont let anyone tell me different either. Just trying to share what I know and have gone through already.

As for not being able to afford the STI...I figure, why push what I can spend? That never works out, for anyone. I would rather play it safe, and have extra money. So, I can either put some away or buy some mods here and there.

As for the horsepower and the transmission...350 horsepower will be the tops for now. I don't plan on doing more than the basic bolt on's and a nice tune. I would assume, that, that should get me close to the 350 horsepower range. I will definitely be contacting a few reputable performance shops to see what my limits will be.

Thanks for talking about your experience. I welcome any advice you may have.
post #6 of 20 Old 08-24-2010, 08:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
The hyundai sonata and genesis are basically stripped down Mitsubishi Evolution engines and are not meant for a lot of play or upgrading. My tuner tunes EVOs and STIs. He looked into the Genesis and said he won't be touching them. The platform has a inheriant weakness in the engine and you'd basically have to swap everything over to EVO engines and then run that off the Hyundai ECU. There are some compatiability issues with the swaps and its just too big of a headache to get into. Which is why he won't get into it.

2008 WRXs and up MYs might be able to withstand 350 whp on their transmissions just fine. So, far people have been running around that power level and not having any problems. But no one knows if they'll stay reliable that way. The Pistons reguardless of year will fail at that level when they are pushed too hard for a while.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #7 of 20 Old 08-25-2010, 07:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

OBEE_Racing is an unknown
Quote:
This must be my first time back on since winter. Anyhow, Im currently getting my tranny a makeover. Getting the clutch and flywheel upgraded. About to drop in Walbro fuel pump and Deatchworks injectors in next week too. But yah man, my clutch finally went after all the mods.

Chris - 2008 WRX sedan w/ vf52 setup now!
post #8 of 20 Old 09-10-2010, 01:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

mjt09wrx is an unknown
Well here is my take on it.. If you at all are lookin to mod the wrx has endless options from small power to some big numbers. The problem is with hyundai the same mods never come up to par with other models. The tiburon being a true example of this. It always seemed to be nice but could never really quite hold its own. Through my experience I had an Acura RSX-S and at the time was bone stock when a friend of mine had just gotten an 07 tiburon the V6 version. I was able to pull on him everytime. I am not saying that they are not nice cars but they do tend to be on the lower end of the spectrum. If the trend has continued I do not see the genesis being worth it in the long run. Also, from my current understanding those cars are not the easiest to modify... meaning that when they made that car it was already close to its full potential. Either way thats just my thoughts on it. I have the 09 wrx and I def. dont regret the purchase. And if you have never had an AWD vehicle you will thouroughly enjoy the sure footedness of the car in dry, wet or snowy conditions.
post #9 of 20 Old 09-11-2010, 07:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

Satin-T-Rex is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
2008 WRXs and up MYs might be able to withstand 350 whp on their transmissions just fine. So, far people have been running around that power level and not having any problems. But no one knows if they'll stay reliable that way. The Pistons reguardless of year will fail at that level when they are pushed too hard for a while.
WOW! It been a long time. Some may argue with the few previous posts but so be it. I'm Dan I've had my '10 satin white wrx hatch for about 9-10 months now. LOVE IT. Ive tinted windows, lowered, black OZ ultraleggera, interior/audio etc. I've been holding off on a power train mods, after having read all those horror stories of spun bearings from the few production months of '09. If anyone has 2 cents about that I'd love to still hear it. Turmic as for your post, you mentioned pistons will fail at 350hp after a while. As far as the Cobb AP Stage 2 route is concerned. What are your thoughts as far as piston life. Would Stage 2 significantly shorten it? As some may know those who has problems in '09 with in there production month, feared even stock malfunction. As I am now seriously considering take the Stage 2 step, I am really looking for some words of wisdom, as how to avoid any major issues. Even if that means avoiding the mods all together. To you Adam, WELCOME! Don't to anything I've previously said, as I am one of the fearful skeptics of the site. 2011 all the way go for it man you won't regret a thing! Tons of fun to drive, and even more fun to make yours. Sure mods are always a risk, but VERY SMALL! Being OCD I just thrive worry. Any thoughts TURMIC/ALL? !Notfunny!
post #10 of 20 Old 09-11-2010, 11:38 PM

Any power modifications done to a car can shorten its life. You just have to stay on top of maintainence and take care of the car. Daily/monthly maintainence is key to just about any car.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #11 of 20 Old 09-16-2010, 10:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Its all in the tune.... A OTS map will do the trick for stage2. But, personally...a good protune map with regular maintence would put the car on a better path for longevity then a OTS map.

So, basically I mirrored Josh's responce and just added a little bit.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #12 of 20 Old 09-17-2010, 12:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

Satin-T-Rex is an unknown
I apologize I'm not sure I follow exactly. I understand that the OTS is the preloaded map COBB provides on the AP. But what does OTS stand for? And a Pro Tune is a custom tune from what I understand. But where does the term Pro Tune come from? And who P&L?
post #13 of 20 Old 09-17-2010, 12:55 AM

OTS=Off The Shelf. Pro tune just means Professionally tuned, be it a road tune or a dyno tune.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #14 of 20 Old 09-17-2010, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Lucky7s is an unknown
Thanks for those that welcomed me. I am still really on the fence about getting this car. The one side of me, says...go for it. It's a sports car. Moving to Colorado, you really can't beat AWD. Not to mention, it will be fun to drive. The other side, keeps saying 'Get the new turboed sonata.' It's a nice car, and would be fun to add a few bolt on's too, maybe upgrade the turbo, and do some exterior upgrades (Lol, I am the equivalent of tim taylor...off of home improvement : a tv show)

Now, if I were to do the basic bolt on's and get a COBB Stage 2, would what I be looking at horsepower wise? I know very little about this car, hence why I am asking. Another question...if I am near the 350 horsepower mark, what would that equate to, in the 1/4th? (I know this is not the best drag racing car, it's just an easy way to compare.)My third question.. what are some good performance places to buy from?

Thanks
post #15 of 20 Old 09-17-2010, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Lucky7s is an unknown
I just thought of a couple more questions...

If I wanted to make my transmission 'bullet proof'... or should I say, better...how much would that cost to build up? Again, I don't want to push more than the 350-375 horsepower mark right now.

Also, how much do you guys think it would cost to build the engine up enough to handle this kind of power without too much stress? If it helps, I am usually quick off the line. I accelerate fairly quick, but don't hold into the throttle after I am up to the speed limit, nor would I push it to redline before I shifted into another gear.

Thanks