New 08 td04 tune. - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 19 Old 10-06-2012, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Bulldog71ss is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
Well smooth idle is hard to get with injectors that big honestly. I have seen people have luck and some not. I have yet to hear anything really note worthy about TurboXs BOV. I run one of there intercoolers and it isn't the best either to be honest. 22mpg isn't bad considering, but mpg is irrelevant once you start modding a car. That is the least important thing really...

It's still nice to have both power and good fuel economy when you can though huh.
The idle itself is not bad at all, maybe a small stumble every so often, but nothing more than 150-200 rpm here and there. The most noticeable driving issue is some "bucking" that happens at lower rpms in 2nd and 1st gears. The tuner said he can get rid of it doing a driving tune so I'm happy with the manners of the 1000cc injectors so far.

I think the biggest issue overall now is lag between shifts. The delay from just stepping on the gas when already set in gear is barely noticeable over the tmic. The drop-off of power/spool between high rpm shifts is however a lot more apparent now. It could be that the bpv isn't venting enough air, causing some pressure on the compressor, or the small turbo just takes time to fill the pipes.
It's not the end of the world, but it's noticeable for sure. I'm betting tgv deletes will help a good deal. Any thoughts?

I did some more research on the Turboxs valve, and it's about a 50/50 split on like it or hate it. I think I'll pass and look at something else like the Forge or the Cobb XLE. Maybe it doesn't NEED a new bpv at this point, but the stocker it too ugly to stay in there much longer. It sits right on top of a beautifully powder coated pipe and sticks out like a sore thumb.
First things first though, I need to get rid of the rtv sealant and put in a proper gasket under the bpv some time today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 Old 10-06-2012, 06:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog71ss View Post
It's still nice to have both power and good fuel economy when you can though huh.
The idle itself is not bad at all, maybe a small stumble every so often, but nothing more than 150-200 rpm here and there. The most noticeable driving issue is some "bucking" that happens at lower rpms in 2nd and 1st gears. The tuner said he can get rid of it doing a driving tune so I'm happy with the manners of the 1000cc injectors so far.

I think the biggest issue overall now is lag between shifts. The delay from just stepping on the gas when already set in gear is barely noticeable over the tmic. The drop-off of power/spool between high rpm shifts is however a lot more apparent now. It could be that the bpv isn't venting enough air, causing some pressure on the compressor, or the small turbo just takes time to fill the pipes.
It's not the end of the world, but it's noticeable for sure. I'm betting tgv deletes will help a good deal. Any thoughts?

I did some more research on the Turboxs valve, and it's about a 50/50 split on like it or hate it. I think I'll pass and look at something else like the Forge or the Cobb XLE. Maybe it doesn't NEED a new bpv at this point, but the stocker it too ugly to stay in there much longer. It sits right on top of a beautifully powder coated pipe and sticks out like a sore thumb.
First things first though, I need to get rid of the rtv sealant and put in a proper gasket under the bpv some time today.
TGV deletes won't make any difference with that smaller turbo. I run the stock bpv and yes it's ugly, but you could always paint it to match up.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #18 of 19 Old 10-07-2012, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Bulldog71ss is an unknown
After some more driving it seems like something that can be ironed out with tuning.
post #19 of 19 Old 10-07-2012, 01:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Yes it is nice to get fuel economy, but with my motor that is something that will not happen anytime soon.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...