Subaru WRX Forum banner

Needd help with finding a new turbo

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  dennis_menace 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 wrx with full invidia N1 exhaust, and catted downpipe. I believe i need a new turbo, there is a lot of white smoke coming from my exhaust. I replaced both of my VTS valves but it is still smoking. I was wondering what the best turbo would be if i daily drive my car and i have a stock engine. I don't want a turbo that will give me a lot of power, but I do want a better built turbo than stock. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Fortunately, a used turbo of the same time is incredibly cheap (you can have one at your door step for below 150).

If you wanted an upgrade, a later year VF52 would be the way to go but keep in mind that you will need to have a tune done for your car. Keep in mind it's still an IHI turbo but they are not bad of turbos and I do believe VF series are way better than TD04-19t (what is under your hood).

On the flip side, if you have a Tactrix cable, and you only swap the turbo itself, you can load a Stage 2 map for 09 wrx with your parts and you will get a very nice bump in power. I'm not sure if you can do this on Access Port.

You could also look into something like a 16g turbo and get a significantly better turbo, however, you will require a full blown pro-tune and possibly other modifications.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.