Need help, broken endlink - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-25-2010, 07:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

BlueMica Rex is an unknown
Need help, broken endlink

I bought a Perrin front and rear sway bar with endlinks for my birthday. I installed the rear and have had no problems for 2 weeks now. Today, however, I installed the front bar and endlinks, but had bad luck.

After test driving for about an hour, the front, right, endlink broke. !Cry! I wasn't even turning when it happened. I simply was going over a speed bump at the appropriate 5-10 mph and heard a thump. Turns out the bearing that holds on to the sway bar pulled right out of the endlink.

Since my WRX is my daily driver, I am wondering what I need to do in the short term. I am taking pictures and will remove the bolts from the right endlink and bar so that I can send them back to Perrin. Do I need to remove the other endlink or can I just leave the one side connected to hold up the sway bar? Do I need to take both endlinks and the sway bar out? I have limited time so I don't know if I can just put the stock bar and endlinks in.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-25-2010, 08:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
in the short term just put in the stock endlinks and be very careful

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#3 Old 07-25-2010, 09:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

Will do. For tomorrow, I'm going to drive with no passenger side endlink. I'm just too tired tonight to mess with pulling one of the stock endlinks off the old bar and installing it.

I'll check again in the morning to see if anyone hates this idea. Otherwise, I'll have stock links on at least the passenger side tomorrow evening.
#4 Old 07-25-2010, 09:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
it's not a bad idea, it'll just feel like the car has no FSB so be careful and don't try and corner too agressive

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#5 Old 07-26-2010, 08:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

Here's a couple of pictures that show what happened so other people know what to look for. You can see the retaining ring blew through the bearing wall of the endlink and allowed the bearing to come free. The other image shows the bearing missing as well as some damage on the top bearing. Note this is after the first few hours of use.
Attached Images

#6 Old 07-26-2010, 10:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Did you make sure the endlinks were perpendicular to the road when the car was on the ground? If you didn't make sure of that by using spacers this is what can happen.

-Chris
#7 Old 07-26-2010, 10:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

I would call perrin, that should be covered under warranty

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#8 Old 07-26-2010, 12:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
Definitely should be covered under warranty. Best way to get this solved is to call them directly. If you can't get a hold of them and don't hear back right away PM all their vendor accounts on Nasioc. If you still don't get any response (and I really doubt that will happen) then post in their vendor review thread on Nasioc that you need help ASAP. That will get their attention.

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
#9 Old 07-27-2010, 07:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Judging by your picture, it looks like your endlinks were installed at a pretty severe angle. Often, when you install an aftermarket front sway bar on these cars, you need spacers to make the endlinks more perpendicular like Chris mentioned. Otherwise, the severe angle causes the bushings to pop out like you unfortunately experienced first hand. How To: Whiteline Rear Sway Bar & Kartboy Endlinks - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

I picked up a set of spacers from Kartboy for a few bucks, but you can make/use/buy your own if you want too. Mine came with a snazzy sticker and a fireball
Attached Images

John
07 WRX
#10 Old 07-27-2010, 08:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^I want some Kartboy Candy!

And that's why I'm thinking Perrin may say um no to a warranty claim. Hopefully they will give you a new set, but if you show those pictures it's pretty clear it's not vertical, and it says several times to make sure they are. Because of all those warnings, I took my car off the stands and made sure they were straight up when the car was loaded.

-Chris
#11 Old 07-30-2010, 02:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

Perrin held their own and is replacing my parts!

I did make sure they were vertical when the suspension was loaded, but I thought that little clause might be a loophole to screw me over because I didn't take pics right after install. However, based on those pictures and my explanation, Perrin was able to find that they didn't ship me one of the critical parts.

Apparently, Perrin has a special lock washer that allows the endlink to flex without damaging it. The lock washers I used next to the endlink were the wrong OD and thickness and dug the bearing right out of the endlink. The only downside at the moment is I'm back to using the stock endlinks until my new parts come in. No worries though, the sway bar itself makes a huge difference.
#12 Old 08-01-2010, 10:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Nice! Glad to hear Perrin helped you out of your jam. At least the stock front endlinks aren't plastic like the rears, so you should be ok in the short term. Some people never replace the front endlinks at all... but not me! I'm hoping to replace my front endlinks and sway bar tomorrow since it's my only day off and I want to allow plenty of time to fix it if I screw something up and/or give it a much anticipated lengthy test drive

John
07 WRX
#13 Old 08-05-2010, 09:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

Not a bad plan. It doesn't take long at all. My only problem with the install was that I had to remove my jacking plate which has 8 highly torqued bolts. Fortunately, I have air in my garage and a pneumatic wrench. I think the longest part was torquing everything back down. I have the soft bars and my post test drive was so epic it almost brought tears to my eyes. Enjoy!
#14 Old 08-05-2010, 10:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

I actually ended up not installing my Kartboy front endlinks because they didn't fit with my Whiteline 24 mm adjustablt fsb (I think mostly due to the bulky hardware, but that's ok). I kept the stock front endlinks, but I think they'll be fine since they're basically the same design as many aftermarket pillow ball spherical-type (whatever) end links. I also had to remove my front jack plate, but it wasn't bad. I was able to get it off fairly easily with a foot long breaker bar and some elbow grease. The difference in handling is definitely amazing. I'm kicking myself for not upgrading this stuff earlier.

John
07 WRX
#15 Old 08-05-2010, 10:53 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I don't think it really improves the handling of the car much. What it does do is deliver MUCH MUCH more clear feedback. You can more easily feel the shifts in the car. The rear bar probably cuts some understeer which is helpful regardless but I think the endlinks are much more about feedback. They help fix the squishy bit behind the wheel.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD