Need Guidance - How to Install VF52 on an 08 WRX - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-14-2011, 08:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

Hot Karl is an unknown
Need Guidance - How to Install VF52 on an 08 WRX

I hope I did not overlook a similar post during my search so I am looking for some specific guidance since I am only intermediate skill level when it comes to being a mechanic.

Has anyone installed a VF52 in a 2008 WRX and can give me some pointers to make sure I do it right?

Here are some of my questions:

I currently have the Perrin Stage 2 light kit which is the accessport and catted downpipe.

Can I just install the VF52 and then use the Cobb 2009 Stage 2 map, or are there other things I will need to do?

I wasn’t sure if I needed to look for another type of custom tune because of the slight differences in the cars? I was looking at this site:

2008 WRX Stage 2.52

Here is says something about, “Stock boost control solenoid with the VF-52 restrictor pills found on the 09+WRX”, and I don’t know what this means.

Also any other suggestions that should be done at the same time of this install?

And finally just for arguments sake, ha ha, since I don’t have that many mod’s yet what is your best guess at my final whp? I am thinking that bone stock it’s around 190-200whp?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-14-2011, 07:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hot Karl is an unknown
#3 Old 01-14-2011, 09:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
install is strait forward. pull the TMIC, losen the inlet, losen the water lines and oil lines, take off the DP, take off the 5 nuts holding the turbo on the UP and slide it out.

if you have a 08 AP the 09 map will not work unless its a map made for an 08 wrx with the vf52 turbo installed and tuned for. the ECU will only read a map made for it, not another car. im sure though someone has made a map for the 08 with a vf52.

as for the pills the stock 2 port boost controller has one hose to the inlet and another going back to the turbo. that hose has a Tee on it. one side runs to the compressor and the other to the top of the wastegate. both of thoughs little hoses coming off the Tee have little restrictor pills. your 08 may have a different size pill then an 09. but if the vf52 map was built off an 08 you will be fine.

as for suggestions do not do a tune off the net. spend your money right, get a real tune done for your car. also get a 3 port boost controller and get rid of all the pills.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/