Subaru WRX Forum banner

Nameless Axle back muffler delete question

40K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  BLAZE2099 
#1 ·
Hello all,

So I was speaking to "Andrew At Defined" and with speaking to him, he told me I could get an axle back Nameless muffler delete for 299 shipped. That's 37 under Subispeeds price before shipping cost...

My question, I've gotten mixed answers about tuning in relation to this. I very knowledgeable Subaru owner and wrencher told me the mufflers were the biggest restriction on that car and tuning would be necessary, however I've seen on here that axle back and cat back exhaust is about the only "performance" addition not needing tuning in addition. I'm just wanting a little more noise, but not a lot, so I figured axle back would be the way to go.

Wanting some opinions on this. If I don't need to tune, I'll buy it in 2 weeks. If I need to tune, I'm waiting to get an access port in the fall.

Subaru 2015 WRX 6 speed manual with 2,900 miles. I'd be waiting until at least 4K on the car to install, being as I'm still breaking it in. Trying my best not to use cruise control even though I drive 90% highway....

Advice, input, comments, concerns... Internet warriors and gurus your input is valued.

Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Im glad to help,

So lets start with the facts, the biggest restriction in the exhaust path on most OEM cars is the catalytic converters. That said the factory exhaust path in many models has 3-4 catalytic converters with the old brick style which is a large hinderance to smooth airflow. Im not 100% sure having only been under the 2015 1 time without the splash guard on but I think it has 2-3 cats, 1 up front before the o2 sensor and one about a foot after, then theres a single sided block thats either a resonator for better sounds or a 3rd cat. If you wanted to smooth out the airflow swapping out the J pipe is where I would start. /hippy moment/ I would argue that a single high flow catalytic converter would not be detrimental to the performance of any daily driver / weekend track car and at lease 1 catalytic converter should be included in all builds because the air we breath is important and we can all pitch in and make a difference. /hippy moment/ back on topic

While mufflers do cause some disruption of airflow it is rare that the total diameter of flowable space would be less than the diameter of the pipes coming in. While air might not flow as freely through them they are not the biggest cause for flow restriction. Any part that makes a considerable difference in the exhaust flow needs to be tuned for. Because there is no need to tune the ECU when installing them I would conclude that there is not a considerable amount or increased exhaust flow. I also wouldn't expect any additional power from muffler deletes other than the power you feel/hear when you are enjoying the rumble.

On the other hand a richer deeper sounds makes the butt dyno happy and if your not spending all day on an actual dyno then the dyno numbers dont matter a whole lot. If you like the sound of axelback muffler deletes I would definitly trust nameless for their parts quality. I understand that they do all their welding in house and the fit and finish of their products is fantastic.

Just a last piece of anecdotal evidence, A good friend of mine has nameless muffler deletes on his FRS and they sounds fantastic. Leaving the resonators in the mid-pipe keeps it deep and warm and it definitely feels better getting in and starting with the muffler deletes.

TLDR, CATs are what cause exhaust path restriction, muffler deletes wont bring power but they do sounds nice : )

Hope that helps

#3 ·
What a fantastically thoughtful response. I appreciate you taking the time to spell all of that out. I didn't realize there were that many cats... I figured there was one or two. Eventually I'm going to do the whole system but it will be a while because this car is still a baby. I have been YouTubing like a stabbed rat about different muffler deletes and I found this guy who can swing me a deal. I think I'm going to go for it. Thanks!

Reactions: LW_Black4
#5 ·
Once I get it and installed I can make videos and pictures for you all. It might be a month or so... I'm only at 2,950 miles on the car and didn't want to modify until I had a minimum of 4,000... it's still a baby, and I was unsure about the tuning issue this car has whenever you change anything...

#6 ·
06+ WRX has 2 cats. They're not a restriction. The main restriction is the downpipe, specifically that it's too flat for the wastegate to open properly and also that it pushes wastegate air at a 90 degree angle into the main exhaust stream. Both are fixed by a "bellmouth" type design. Bellmouths are bigger pieces of pipe and fitting one requires using some of the space the first catalytic converter sits in. Usually, Downpipes are sold that replace everything from the turbo to the main exhaust piping length (includes both cats). From there, the exhaust goes through some length and into the muffler. See below:

#7 ·
I actually found that picture when I was reading some threads on here (because unlike most people, I don't need a veteran forum member to tell me to go read the sticky threads lol) I have it saved on my phone and computer... I eventually am going to do the full turboback. But it will be after I get an intake and Accessport for the car. Because that is going to be a bit more costly on the budget. My goal is to save enough to do the accessport and intake at the same time in the fall. This summer I have a vacation I'm fronting for, so that's where the expendable money went. However for 300 shipped, if I can safely run an axle back for maybe 3-6 months and not injure the powertrain in any way (because it would be without tuning) I wanted to do that for a bit more noise. Then just sell it or see about getting the rest of the system when I'm ready.

What do you think about that? Nameless AxleBack for a little while and then do the while turboback system a half year later... I just don't want to do anything detrimental to the integrity of the car is my real concern, since I would be doing the axleback without the tune. I wouldn't be driving like a stabbed rat all the time either. I kinda of behave myself in that car because I don't want to be reported to my bosses... 0:)

#8 ·
I run a Catless bellmouth downpipe with stock mid section and nameless muffler deletes. I'd have to say that this is my favorite exhaust out of all my wrxs. Eventually I'll get a nameless mid pipe to complete my system.

I'm sure you'll live your purchase.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.