Subaru WRX Forum banner

My Phase III Project - 09 WRX HB

13K views 89 replies 6 participants last post by  mosc 
#1 · (Edited)
My Phase III Project - 09 WRX HB - Re-Dyno Date 3/1/2010

Phase III of my project is starting on Monday. Honestly, I did not expect to start this phase till mid-year. I was just doing my research and shopping around until I called EDO performance. I was instantly engaged by their professionalism and customer service.

Long story short, I am currently running "Stage 3" Perrin map (TBE, TMIC, AP), never dyno my car. My guestimate is 270 -280 whp (based on stock 228 whp) and I have no idea what my torque is. I also noticed that my Injector Duty Cycle was hitting 100% at times.

Phase III includes:
1) Walbro 255 lph fuel pump
2) Power Enterprise 800 cc injectors
3) Tomei Unequal Length Headers - wrapped (This was a very tough choice between the rumble sound and slightly higher performance until EDO told me that the Tomei ELH would not fit WRX (fits STi))
4) Tomei Uppipe
5) Samco Inlet Hose
6) Blitz SUS Air Intake
7) NGK Spark Plug 1 step colder
8) Protune

Based on a brief discussion with the Tuner @ EDO, target whp is around 320 (i hope torque is north of 300 lb/ft) and boost would be around 21 psi tapers down to 17.
They will run a baseline test with my current setup. I will post video and pictures later on.

I am going to drop off the car on Monday and pick it back up on Thursday. I will be there when they do the final dyno testing.

My Mod List:

Intake:
BMP Inlet Hose - New
Blitz SUS Air Intake - New

Intercooler:
Perrin TMIC - Baseline

Exhaust:
Perrin Downpipe - Baseline
Perrin Catback - Baseline
Tomei Unequal Length headers (wrapped) - New
Tomei Uppipe - New

Fuel:
Walbro 255 LPH pump - New
Power Enterprise 800 cc Injectors - New

Tune:
Cobb AccessPort - Baseline
ProTune: EDO Performance - New

Exterior:
H11 6000K HID Conversion
3M 20% Tint Front; 5% Tint Rear and Back

Transmission:
Perrin Short Shifter
Perrin Shift Bushing

Suspension:
Tein SS-P coilovers
Perrin 22mm Front Sway Bar
Perrin 19 mm Rear Sway Bar
Perrin Rear Endlinks
Perrin Front Strut Brace

Wheels:
Volk Racing GT-F 18x8
Falken 912Z 245/40/18

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, that's quite a nice list there! I am curious as to how you feel about the Power Enterprise injectors and Blitz intake when you get them installed and running. Very nice indeed =D I'm looking forward to how the dyno likes your new mods and what the numbers will be. I'll be looking for it on Thursday if you can calm down enough at the end of the day to tell us how it goes. Oh, and please mention the type of dyno they use too.

#3 ·
Smokin' Joe,

EDO Performance uses Dynapack Dyno. Based on the extended forecast, Southern California is going to warm up a bit (we've been at high 40s and low 50s for quite some time) to mid 60s with 10% Precip. Hopefully, I can be there for the Baseline test on Tuesday and report to you guys before the whole things started.

#4 ·
From what I've seen, 300 awhp on the 09 is as simple as: CAI, TBE, TMIC, 92 octane, under 1,000 elevation. I saw an 09 with those mods and parameters hit 312 whp and a bit more tq. Makes me happy since that's pretty much what I have/will have once I get my DP. Plus I'm running PnP'd manifolds now so hopefully I'll make more than that. The fact that you'll be using a dynapack means you're almost a sure bet to get over 300 out of it.

Should be a solid setup with the headers, I myself was looking at the Tomei unequal length setup, but decided to go the PnP'd route. I don't think you'll get much out of the up-pipe, but the headers should make a difference top end.

Looking forward to seeing your numbers as I'm going mostly the same route.

Here's a link to the dyno database from surgeline. The setup I was talking about is Mike Brackenbrough's 2009 wrx.

http://surgeline.cobbtuning.com/dyno/index.php

#7 ·
RcrsWetDream,

To be honest with you, I originally had the front strut brace on. That had to come off when I installed the TMIC myself. I wasn't able to get it back on and I sorta doubted myself for not pushing the TMIC into the intake manifold deep enough (that took up additional space at the back between the intercooler and the firewall). I know the boost is fine because I have been monitoring it with AP to make sure there's no leak and it hits the target boost.

I talked to Chris @ Perrin and he claimed that they are able to fit the bar with TMIC just fine. The new phase of this project requires taking out the TMIC and intake manifold for the installation of the injectors. I will see if I am able to get the brace back on after that. I will let you know.

#8 ·
WOOO brother you dont need to take off the intake manifold for injectors! ive read many many posts and althought i havnt done them yet to mine, no one has every said that! dont want to see you do more work than you have too!

PS why would the ELH not fit a wrx when Perrin and Gt-spec ect. have the same part number for almost all subarus. i no some need a different oil pan and something else but we have the good oil pan and there a direct bolt on. i dont know Tomei but that sounds really weird!

#9 ·
synolimit,

Thanks for your input.
1) I am not personally installing the injectors. That's what the mechanic told me and I did shop around for that job. It takes about 3 - 4 hours. I really do not care what they take out as long as I know I am not overpaying for it. Oh, and that's when they will stick in the inlet hose, so it works for me. good looking out tho. Thanks.

2) regarding the ELH, I was shocked when I heard that too. I was just thinking to myself that they have put this part on many WRXs and STis. so I think it comes from their experience. It might be as simply as you mentioned about replacing the oil pan. I see it as an indicator to keep my rumble (I think I can sacrifice a little performance to keep the signature sound). If i need more power, I will add on a bigger turbo or get a stroker kit later on.
I know the GTSpec and Perrin has similar design on the ELH. I talked to Ferdie (parts manager) @ South Coast Subaru and he recommended Tomei. For me, I like that brand alot and people say Tomei has got a little more performance (could be the welding, slightly better material....) well, only the dyno can tell. I actually went to the Tomei USA headquarter at Lake Forecast (Southern Cal) and the manager - Ricky san (he's japanese) was very warm. Although they didn't have any retail front at that location, he was showing us their newest project - "Expreme Ti Exhaust" which is super light weight and they use springs instead of clamps to connect different sections of the exhaust. They also gave us a bunch of stickers (5 hp each) and a badge (15 hp) haahahha.

#10 ·
o thats all cool. i did hear you have to take the manifold off for the intake so ya injectors same time will save more time and money. if i had to do the UP over again id go GT-spec since it comes with the header and gaskets for only $650! but i have the perrin now so ill get the headers sometime too. although my tuner really really is convincing me to go Grimmspeed UP with external wastegate set up. he knows they make a good 15hp more and hold boost and spool way faster!! just tuff to sell the Perrin UP and throw down $300 on the new UP and another $300 on wastegate and $25 on internal wastegate blocker.

#11 ·
synolimit,

It sounds like you are a good friend of the tuner, cos you didn't factor in the price of a tune and dyno. BTW, I saw your setup and your impressive dyno #. What's your next step?

Also, I am curious about your experience with the light weight pulley. Is it noticable? Would you recommned it?

#12 ·
its in there somewhere. 6-7hrs of tune and they only charge $350. after lunch and everything it was an 8hrs day and still only $350.

1.)Perrin Subframe lock down kit and LPD-
2.)Whiteline Rear Diff bushings-
3.)Perrin short shifter with busings-
4.)Boost Gauge and pod-
5.)Perrin light weight pully-
6.)Turbo XS 3" dual exhaust-
7.)OEM Turbo gasket-
8.)Perrin Downpipe-
9.)OEM Uppipe gaskets-
10.)Perrin Uppipe-
11.)GrimmSpeed 3 port EBCS-
12.)Walbro 255Lph fuel pump-
13.)Turbo XS cold air intake-
14.)NGK colder spark plugs-
15.)Tune

next step
16.)catless invidia
17.)turboxs FMIC
18.)turboxs BPV
19.)retune 17psi maybe 18psi if injectors hold under 95%
20.)tranny mount
21.)motor mounts
22.)pitch stop
23.)900cc injectors with 93 winter map and E85 summer map

then later maybe headers, EW and turbo

as for LWP maybe 5hp, isn't noticable. but if i could go back just catless and dyno against the other 09 we'd see the difference between the LWP and my UP vs his stock ones. since im going back FMIC also we'll prob never no really.

#13 ·
with your FMIC, you are going to push higher boost. The Perrin map I was running with my TMIC had 17.5 psi as target. When I really push the car, I hit really high IDC ~ 98%. I've hit 100% before. Well, it might actually hit 100% everytime, but you know how AP only logs it every 4/10th of a sec. There's the main reason why I want to start this project earlier with bigger injectors and pump.
You might want to push #23 up to #16.

#14 ·
I want to see max potential out of the car with stock injectors at 90-95% just so I and people know what they can get before a hard mod like injectors and before high boost. If we can only do 17psi that's fine. But I want the numbers to give out info. I can't do injectors till summer anywho so till then I want to see without the cat and fmic installed. I'm hoping 305hp 315tq on winter 93 at 17psi. If we can do 18psi then cool, if not I wanna be over 300 on a mustang reading dyno So I know the LWP and UP ment something.

#15 ·
It's awesome that you have a purpose to serve the public while rolling out your project.

I saw your to do mods and found them to be all power mods. I've been thinking about upgrading the breaking system for quite some time now. I mean if I have to choose between more hp vs higher breaking power, I will go with more hp any time of the day. However, there's safety issue...

The only person I saw with an upgraded breaking system is Boost Addict. He's got the Brembo (custom fit I believe) and that's got to be north of $3G. I checked Endless and D2 and they are not cheap. Is there anyone out there looking into this as well?

#16 ·
I don't see why you'd spend good money on headers and things like that when your turbo is still stock. Doesn't AVO make some good turbo upgrades that would do a whole lot more for less money?

A lot of the mods you listed won't do too much, you're kind of milking what the VF52 will give you already.

#17 ·
mosc,

I want to make this a long-term project. I like to see the progression of the power and hopefully maintaining "balance" (handling and breaking vs. just power) of the parts I put into my project. I also want to be able to stage it.

That's my phase I was just handling (the stock handling was really bad even for my needs) and AP
then I went to phase II with the TBE & TMIC
I quickly realized that my IDC is just too high which puts pressure on all other parts.
Hence, phase III now.

turbo is definitely a plan for the future. I want to make sure the entire flow is good and I am kinda setting up a foundation for bigger turbo and possibly stroker kit. well, I also know I am going to need FMIC in the future.

#18 ·
Personally I like buying the cheaper stuff first. Headers are only $600ish and add a good 30tq, how's that not good!! A turbo that means anything is about $1700 which is the biggest chunk of change and harder to install ect! Plus so far mines pushing HP to 6200rpm. Till it starts to die off there's no need for a turbo yet. Bolt on's can still help and as BoostAddic showed with a cheap $600 header shot to 385tq

#19 ·
I can attest to trying to keep the car more balanced. More power is awesome, but without sways and better pads at the least the car to me isnt as much fun to drive. When I first went to my 20G it was great on the highway and all. But then I took it up to Mt Rainier in WA and quickly realized that the extra power made it even more apparent that the stock sways were no match for all the added power. Let alone the brakes quickly faded faster because of having to stop from the added get up the car had. This summer tho Im addressing the brakes, sways, transmission, and some mounts.

#21 ·
Just wondering about those injectors, were they the ones recommended by your tuner? When I was shopping around for mine, those were told to me by my tuner (Tim Bailey) to stay away from. Maybe thats just him tho, just wondering.

**Just saw on the up pipe...did they really put a bung for the sensor in it? Thats kind of crappy. I know you dont have to use it, but still kind of silly on the manufacturers part.

#23 ·
newtothegame:

Well, originally I was going for the Deatchwerks 750cc because almost everyone gets that (including Boost Addict). The tuner did recommend Power Enterprise. The reason he gave me was that Deatchwerks basically use the stock injectors and modify them, that's why we can get a rebate if we ship to stock injectors back to them. He claimed that when tuners tune with Deatchwerks, they treat them as 650cc (that's what they are rated!!). Don't shoot me, I am just the messenger here.

synolimit:

It does look like you have to cut the hardness (I will confirm tomorrow), because it comes with a new set in the package. Is it not the case for Deatchwerks? well it sorta makes sense coming from the perspective above. They are technically modified stock injectors.

#24 ·
Stevecrc, you are correct in the fact that DW does modify stock injectors. But they are modified and they do put the screen back over them (so as not to just spray straight fuel like other modified injectors). And DW does come with the flow test of the injectors. Im not familiar with anything lower than the 850cc tho (mine were flowtested at 851,852,852,and 851cc). Thank you for answering and not taking any offense or anything, I was just curious, and Im sure that they will work fine. Good luck with install and tune. Cant wait to see the numbers.

#25 ·
^^^ interesting! well my tuner told he wants me to get a 900cc (brand name i forget now) from this new company that are great and there cheaper or he can get them cheaper then 900cc DW's. if there cheaper ill take his word that there great.

#26 ·
Baseline Testing Completed

Event: dyno pull
Time: 7:50 a.m. 2/16/10
Temp: 62.3F
Humidity: 70.5
Weather: cold, sunny

Car: 09, wrx
Tuner: n/a (Perrin "Stage 3" OTS map)
Dyno Info: Dynapack
Peak HP at RPM: 254HP 6038RPM (1st run in yellow)
Peak Torque at RPM: 292TQ 3249RPM (1st run in yellow)
Baseline hp/tq for a stock on same dyno: ~210HP (didn't get a dyno on my WRX @ stock stage)

My thought: I was expecting higher HP numbers (the tuner said out of the 3 dyno systems, here's how they rank in terms of ending result)
DynaJet > Dynapack > Mustang - I know you can't just compare hard numbers, but to factor in all the other conditions.
I think the Torque is pretty nice (didn't expect this high) and the Boost is smoother than I expected (given it's just an OTS map without BCS)

#28 ·
synolimit:

About the injector harness, it's confirmed that they don't need to be cut/replaced.
ah thats good to hear. as for your results no worrys. Perrin map is gonna be REALLY safe so its gonna read low. also your at 70% humitiy, that alone is gonna kill some power. i was at 20% the other day dont forget

wow perrin map is only set to 15psi? 292tq isnt bad with reading that low. we did 311tq at 17psi. we tried 18psi target but was getting 19ish and was hitting 330tq almost. you'll be able to be to 20psi now so get ready for umm 350-380tq!

#29 ·
synolimit,

I am totally shocked about the boost level. The map I got is supposed to push for 17.5 psi. That was the first question I had for the tuner. Based on the AP reading, I am supposed to meet that and exceed that at times. The tuner said the ECU reading on boost level isn't that accurate. I guess it's time to get a boost gauge... hahahah..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.