My Phase III Project - 09 WRX HB - Page 4 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#46 Old 02-18-2010, 08:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

stevecrc is an unknown
First attempt to pick up the car: Failed

I got there around 3:30 knowing the tune would not be completed by then. I just wanted to witness the end result of the tune. 2 and a half hour later. There's some technical issue. Boost leak is detected. The mechanic was fixing it and I didn't want them to rush. They were going to 1) wrap up the tune 2) test drive 3) clean the engine bay.

newtothegame is absolutely right about them not having the base map. He's starting from stratch and I somehow think it maybe a good thing. Well sucks for the tuner for all the time spent on it, but I get a complete custom map made just for my setup. He said I'm having too many parts changed at the same time and he wanted to make sure everything is top notch.

In one of many pulls he was able to get to
294 whp
305 wtq
with 18.5 psi
at 75F and 60% humidity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#47 Old 02-18-2010, 10:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Told ya, 300 awhp is in sight!

-Chris
#48 Old 02-19-2010, 08:27 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Great numbers. Sorry to hear about the issue. Having so many parts or not really makes no difference though. A base map just gets the car running, then things are changed through out the run. My car was started on a base map for my 20G, but is probably totally different than several of the 20G's cars out there that are probably even running the exact setup as mine as each car reacts differently and indepently of mods put on it. Thats just my .2 cents about it. I just dont like waiting too long, but it can be worth it. I do hope you get your baby back soon, its going to be a whole new car.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#49 Old 02-19-2010, 12:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

stevecrc is an unknown
newtothegame,

Isn't tuning amazing. How can the same model cars react so differently to the same parts. It's just fascinating to me.

To me, I don't mind waiting as much cos I have another daily driver. It was just the anticipation that is killing me right now.
They are re-tightening up all hoses to make sure there's no more leaks this morning. Hopefully, they can finish the tune and I can pick up the car tonight.

One observation from yesterday is that the car now sounds louder. For those of you who's got an aftermarket headers or PnP headers, do you experience loudy exhaust note?
#50 Old 02-19-2010, 01:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Not really, no. With headers though, you may be hearing more sound through the wall of the headers as they are a lot thinner than stock or even PnP manifolds. I know with the a lot of the aftermarket headers, the car tends to sound more raspy and even a bit tin-y I guess you can say. It's like the sound difference between blowing on a glass bottle to a plastic bottle. They may be the same size, but the thicker material helps to keep resonance to a minimum.

-Chris
#51 Old 02-19-2010, 05:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
now i cant wait to see. you'd think intake header and 3.5 more psi would yeild more torque then 13. HP isnt bad at 40 but i think it will be making a lot more when all said and done. with all your parts you should want to go to 20-21 psi no??
#52 Old 02-19-2010, 06:09 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Tuning is one of those things I would love to get into, but kind of intimidates me alot still. I know when I did my last build (turbo, TMIC, BPV, already had full TBE and intake) the car got much louder to include the exhaust note.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#53 Old 02-19-2010, 07:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

stevecrc is an unknown
Second attempt to pick up the car: Failed

Why did I put "First attempt Failed" yesterday? Did I know there will be a second attempt? Did I know the second attempt would fail? I had no idea yesterday.....

Got a call from them and now it is the Turbo Inlet Hose. The one they originally wanted to put in was for the last generation and after trying to make it work by messing with the bracket. It didn't work. They are ordering the Samco Inlet Hose (pricy)...

More to come.... (the saga continues)
#54 Old 02-19-2010, 07:53 PM

Dang man. I know exactly how you feel. I have a thread that shows some misfortune similar to yours (my first 20G literally fell apart while on the dyno). I really hope you get your baby back soon, I was without mine for a month and it dang near killed me at times, lol.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#55 Old 02-20-2010, 10:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

inlet hose is the one thing i dont think ill do. since i only want low 300's for now and maybe high 300's later its not important. it looks like the biggest pain to! sorry for the troubles. as for exhaust being louder. i took off the perrin and installed the invidia catless. its not louder just riding around or idle but getting on it there is deffenently more low growl and i like it!
#56 Old 02-20-2010, 12:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

stevecrc is an unknown
Synolimit,

You are right about the exhaust note. When the car is idling, it's not much different. But when it's rev high, it's louder than before.

As for the inlet hose, I was going to get the one the shop has in stock for cheap. It ended up costing me. I truly hope the intake is worth it. I believe he said the inlet hose can take up to 40 psi. I don't think I'm ever going to push it that high.

I am not sure what psi the tuner is going to end up with. I think it depends on the readings he's getting from the car. I told him to go medium-aggressive. I cant afford an engine build until I graduate from grad school. By then, I can get better internals and bigger turbo.
#57 Old 02-20-2010, 01:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

I've heard horror stories about tuning a wrx with aftermarket inlet hoses, aka they suck to tune. I'm not going to bother doing mine at all. They just add color to the engine bay IMHO.

-Chris
#58 Old 02-20-2010, 02:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

stevecrc is an unknown
Third attempt to pick up the car: Failed

it's a half business day today and they got the part late last night.
Next scheduled pick up date: 2/22/10 Monday.
It will be hard to deal with the withdrawal this weekend. I feel weak........
#59 Old 02-20-2010, 02:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

i dont under stand why the inlet is a prob. its just a hose, it bolts the the turbo and the CAI with few hoses attached to it. unless they cant get a seal and its leaking then ya but... no way to put the stock one back on and get rid of the headache and save a few bucks?
#60 Old 02-21-2010, 11:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

stevecrc is an unknown
synolimit,

I can think of 3 benefits for having the inlet hose.
1) beautify your engine bay (like you mentioned above)
2) it is less likely to crack compared to the stock plastic piece
3) i believe it has a slightly bigger diameter to let more intake air in (works better with aftermarket intake that has bigger MAF tube but definitely requires a tune to get the right AFR)

I did more research after this post and found amazing things about this little hose
Here's what Perrin has about this silicon piece, in short, this adds 10 hp without a tune (with your original intake system)

http://www.perrinperformance.com/pages/show/75