My Phase III Project - 09 WRX HB - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 02-14-2010, 03:51 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I don't see why you'd spend good money on headers and things like that when your turbo is still stock. Doesn't AVO make some good turbo upgrades that would do a whole lot more for less money?

A lot of the mods you listed won't do too much, you're kind of milking what the VF52 will give you already.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 02-14-2010, 04:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

stevecrc is an unknown
mosc,

I want to make this a long-term project. I like to see the progression of the power and hopefully maintaining "balance" (handling and breaking vs. just power) of the parts I put into my project. I also want to be able to stage it.

That's my phase I was just handling (the stock handling was really bad even for my needs) and AP
then I went to phase II with the TBE & TMIC
I quickly realized that my IDC is just too high which puts pressure on all other parts.
Hence, phase III now.

turbo is definitely a plan for the future. I want to make sure the entire flow is good and I am kinda setting up a foundation for bigger turbo and possibly stroker kit. well, I also know I am going to need FMIC in the future.
#18 Old 02-14-2010, 04:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
Personally I like buying the cheaper stuff first. Headers are only $600ish and add a good 30tq, how's that not good!! A turbo that means anything is about $1700 which is the biggest chunk of change and harder to install ect! Plus so far mines pushing HP to 6200rpm. Till it starts to die off there's no need for a turbo yet. Bolt on's can still help and as BoostAddic showed with a cheap $600 header shot to 385tq
#19 Old 02-14-2010, 06:29 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I can attest to trying to keep the car more balanced. More power is awesome, but without sways and better pads at the least the car to me isnt as much fun to drive. When I first went to my 20G it was great on the highway and all. But then I took it up to Mt Rainier in WA and quickly realized that the extra power made it even more apparent that the stock sways were no match for all the added power. Let alone the brakes quickly faded faster because of having to stop from the added get up the car had. This summer tho Im addressing the brakes, sways, transmission, and some mounts.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#20 Old 02-15-2010, 08:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

stevecrc is an unknown
Baseline Dyno is scheduled to be 7:30 a.m. PST on 2/16/10. I will post dyno here tomorrow night.

Here are a few pictures of the parts

#21 Old 02-15-2010, 08:35 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Just wondering about those injectors, were they the ones recommended by your tuner? When I was shopping around for mine, those were told to me by my tuner (Tim Bailey) to stay away from. Maybe thats just him tho, just wondering.

**Just saw on the up pipe...did they really put a bung for the sensor in it? Thats kind of crappy. I know you dont have to use it, but still kind of silly on the manufacturers part.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#22 Old 02-15-2010, 08:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

that UP looks huge. do u have to cut the stock injector harness?
#23 Old 02-16-2010, 12:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

stevecrc is an unknown
newtothegame:

Well, originally I was going for the Deatchwerks 750cc because almost everyone gets that (including Boost Addict). The tuner did recommend Power Enterprise. The reason he gave me was that Deatchwerks basically use the stock injectors and modify them, that's why we can get a rebate if we ship to stock injectors back to them. He claimed that when tuners tune with Deatchwerks, they treat them as 650cc (that's what they are rated!!). Don't shoot me, I am just the messenger here.

synolimit:

It does look like you have to cut the hardness (I will confirm tomorrow), because it comes with a new set in the package. Is it not the case for Deatchwerks? well it sorta makes sense coming from the perspective above. They are technically modified stock injectors.
#24 Old 02-16-2010, 08:03 AM

Stevecrc, you are correct in the fact that DW does modify stock injectors. But they are modified and they do put the screen back over them (so as not to just spray straight fuel like other modified injectors). And DW does come with the flow test of the injectors. Im not familiar with anything lower than the 850cc tho (mine were flowtested at 851,852,852,and 851cc). Thank you for answering and not taking any offense or anything, I was just curious, and Im sure that they will work fine. Good luck with install and tune. Cant wait to see the numbers.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#25 Old 02-16-2010, 08:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

^^^ interesting! well my tuner told he wants me to get a 900cc (brand name i forget now) from this new company that are great and there cheaper or he can get them cheaper then 900cc DW's. if there cheaper ill take his word that there great.
#26 Old 02-16-2010, 12:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

stevecrc is an unknown
Baseline Testing Completed

Event: dyno pull
Time: 7:50 a.m. 2/16/10
Temp: 62.3F
Humidity: 70.5
Weather: cold, sunny

Car: 09, wrx
Tuner: n/a (Perrin "Stage 3" OTS map)
Dyno Info: Dynapack
Peak HP at RPM: 254HP 6038RPM (1st run in yellow)
Peak Torque at RPM: 292TQ 3249RPM (1st run in yellow)
Baseline hp/tq for a stock on same dyno: ~210HP (didn't get a dyno on my WRX @ stock stage)

My thought: I was expecting higher HP numbers (the tuner said out of the 3 dyno systems, here's how they rank in terms of ending result)
DynaJet > Dynapack > Mustang - I know you can't just compare hard numbers, but to factor in all the other conditions.
I think the Torque is pretty nice (didn't expect this high) and the Boost is smoother than I expected (given it's just an OTS map without BCS)

#27 Old 02-16-2010, 01:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

stevecrc is an unknown
newtothegame:

I asked about the bunk on the uppipe and I think it's designed for the older WRXs/STis. It's sealed and I am not going to use that.

synolimit:

About the injector harness, it's confirmed that they don't need to be cut/replaced.
#28 Old 02-16-2010, 07:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecrc View Post

synolimit:

About the injector harness, it's confirmed that they don't need to be cut/replaced.
ah thats good to hear. as for your results no worrys. Perrin map is gonna be REALLY safe so its gonna read low. also your at 70% humitiy, that alone is gonna kill some power. i was at 20% the other day dont forget

wow perrin map is only set to 15psi? 292tq isnt bad with reading that low. we did 311tq at 17psi. we tried 18psi target but was getting 19ish and was hitting 330tq almost. you'll be able to be to 20psi now so get ready for umm 350-380tq!
#29 Old 02-16-2010, 09:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

stevecrc is an unknown
synolimit,

I am totally shocked about the boost level. The map I got is supposed to push for 17.5 psi. That was the first question I had for the tuner. Based on the AP reading, I am supposed to meet that and exceed that at times. The tuner said the ECU reading on boost level isn't that accurate. I guess it's time to get a boost gauge... hahahah..
#30 Old 02-16-2010, 10:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Those numbers surprise me... I think there's a lot more to be had out of it once you get the protune done. I don't see why you couldn't hit 300 whp and about as much TQ as you'll want to make.

-Chris