Subaru WRX Forum banner

My 09 WRX Build

32K views 41 replies 8 participants last post by  sicc_soul 
#1 ·
This is going to be the fastest build thread ever....

Mods to date...
Turbo-xs FMIC
Turbo-xs BOV
KS Technology 73mm cold air intake
Walbro fuel pump
1000cc DeatschWerks injectors
Prodrive EBCS
GT Spec EL Header and Uppipe
BC 8k/8k coilovers, corner balanced and aligned
Kartboy pitchstop mount
Group N motor/trans mounts
STi short shifter
Tsudo catless downpipe
SPT catback

Figured I'd start a log for my car so she doesn't feel left out. I bought my 09 SWP sedan at Chino Valley Subaru FTW (RIP) back in July and promised my wife I wouldn't touch the car for 6 months (mind you I had 12-15k in my diesel that was only a few years old) so I figured what the hell I could do that with ease.

When I brought her home

So August rolls around and I hear about Eibach looking for a test car for the 09+ kits and figured I lived close enough they could use my car....wife not thrilled FTW ;D. So after 3 different sets of springs this is how she looked. I couldn't believe how the springs changed the ride and handling of the car and got rid of the wheel gap.

Shortly after that I got talking with Vim from Treble Racing (Boost Addict) on here and the rest is history. He took me for a ride with his VF-52 setup, top mount etc...and I was hooked. After reading through his dictionary of a thread; I find out that his SPT is for sale and purchased that. I got home that afternoon and 40 mins later I had the Subie rumble I was after. Next I purchased a K&N filter and a Tsudo downpipe and was ready for stage 2....figuring that was where my car would stop.
The car was road tuned by Naji @ Looney Tuning; he is a Socal based open source tuner than mainly does Evo's and has done quite a few Subies.
Here are the sheets:very conservative numbers equivalent to a low low reading dyno.

So needless to say the car will be getting some newer parts and hopefully some more power; sometime within the next 2-3 weeks. My new list consists of:
Turbo-xs FMIC
Turbo-xs BOV
KS Technology 73mm cold air intake
Walbro fuel pump
1000cc DeatschWerks injectors
Prodrive EBCS
GT Spec EL Header and Uppipe
And then a retune
BC 8k/8k coilovers
Thanks
-Jason

See less See more
#3 ·
So a lot of parts came in....still waiting on a few more but for the mean time here is a tease of the FMIC and piping, intake and BOV....everything is done in silver-vein except for the core. I have to thank Vim at Treble Racing for taking care of everything. If anyone needs any parts, he will go out of his way to make you happy :shhh:

#4 ·
Installed the BC coilovers and had Dave at West End Alignment corner balance and align the car....what a difference. The car handles like its on rails. Just a teaser....Got the intercooler on and trimmed the bumper/grille. The TurboXS fits like a glove, no issues what so ever. The GT Spec ELH, uppipe, motor mounts and trans mounts should be on either Thursday or Friday. Cant wait to see the header after the black ceramic coating.

#5 ·
Quick update...got the header and uppipe back from getting ceramic coating. The header, uppipe and motor mounts will be on tomorrow, should have everything else installed/finished by Sunday afternoon ready for the tune on Tuesday.

Goodbye Subie stumble :p Hello WRC sounding car :sneaky:

#6 ·
The car made 318whp/334wtq at 18psi on the stock VF-52 and pretty steady at 11.1 afr. Now the next main part on the list is the turbo which I'm still deciding on....should put me around 370ish.
Finished pics of the piping etc...The car PULLS

#7 ·
new pics....black roof FTW, I will try to take some better ones at S3 this weekend....and no I didn't hit the trash can, some Asian did :tease:

And if you can't tell by the pics...I'm not a photographer...I wouldn't have parked next to the trash cans or Honda/Acura whatever that was

#8 ·
Getting ready for S3...

At S3

Now the next problem is deciding on what parts I want next. I want a turbo but I'm undecided; I like the dom3xtr like Vim's running and I like the ATP 3076r...both will have 3" inlets so I will be using the ATP hard turbo inlet, meth setup (undecided what brand) and will be removing the TGV's via Cosworth's setup.

#12 ·
Thanks Vim, its been a pleasure doing business with you. I have to finish my list and I'll get you some cash. I'm kinda hoping the stock motor goes quickly so the boost can be turned up :sneaky:

It already catches some tail....so hauling it around quicker is even better :D

Next is carbon hood/trunk, wheels/tires, sways and endlinks and audio....

#13 ·
rides looking very good man. im slowly working on mine. getting ready to deploy back to iraq so after i get back i hope to dump unnecessary amounts of cash in mine. with the front mount i seen you trimmed the front. but under the hood were there any fitting issues? just looks like its so much taller than stock

#14 ·
Thank you, with 99% of the FMIC you will have to trim the lower grille since it basically sits in its current spot. You can trim it enough to have it clear but I wanted the intercooler to stand out. You could also put a mesh grille in to cover it up and somewhat hide it. The fitment of the Turbo-xs is great and I have had no issues with clearance or hitting anything. It doesn't rub on the hood like the Perrin's I've seen, the only thing I plan on doing is when we pull the intake manifold to do the TGV deletes and hard inlet I am going to run the driver side piping below the fuel lines this time as I think it will look a little cleaner.

I sent you pm also

#20 ·
Updates for the car...I should have the Seibon carbon fiber hood installed in the next few weeks and I'll be ordering up a set of flat black SSR 18x8.5's...not bad for 17.6lbs
Then its time for a turbo, turbo inlet, TGV deletes, air pump delete, kartboy crank pulley and meth

So Friday I drove to DDM Tuning and picked up a set of their 35 watt 4500k HID setups with the slim ballasts. An hour later I had the setup on, hidden and I can finally see at night. For the money, I think the kit is great. The light output is INSANE compared to stock...I ended up not drilling a hole in the cap and drilled a 1" hole in the bottom of the light behind where the stock power wire enters the assembly. Sorry for the crappy pics as the iphone is all I have...

looks so much better without the bumper on

driver side location

driver side, wires are hidden

passenger side location

passenger side, wires are hidden

#21 ·
i was gonna do this a long time ago but since we have separate low and highs i didnt know what to do. i do know i hate driving at night on the highway at high speed!! my lows suck and cant drive everywhere with my highs on. i could try raising my light beam up because it only projects so far ahead on low and i dont like it. i really want 55w 6000k but i guess ill need two kits for low and high. did DDM saying anything about that?

#22 ·
I didn't ask about the lows/highs but you will need both if you want to do that. Most of the posts over on 3g state that they don't need to use the high beams anymore. From what I've read from others is that you will actually get more light output out of the 35watt vs the 55. Also, you don't need the harness unless you are doing fogs.

#23 ·
Are you talking about the battery harness? I was gonna get it because I've read posts where dimming and other stuff is a problem. My car is very low on voltage anyways and I have not done anything electronically! I've read subis suck for power output!! Older cars did a mod to there alternators with the signal output wire but they only have 2 wires vs are 3 and I can find the right wire. It tricks the alternator into thinking it has low output and it works harder giving you more power, more spark on the plugs ext. Could wear it out faster but for more power I don't care! Anywho I'll call them and see what's what. Is Sharp HID the vender or is DDM? Or they completely different companies?

#24 ·
well i new it would happed! ever since HIDs came out me and all my friends have never had luck. bulbs and ballasts blow and brake all the time! only thing thats changed is there $50 instead of $500 and life time replacement warranty, G wonder why they give you that?? gotta love american stuff being made in a sweet shop in china :( hope they do full refund

#26 ·
ballast went out. light flashes really fast on but wont stay on after only 4 days. DDM tuning slim ballasts with no harness. i have try to break the other one and cant do it. like start the car with the lights on and flick them really fast ect, havnt blown the second one but i have a feeling this is going to be a once a month thing, unless i go full refund and just get a good bulb.

#28 ·
dude how did you go about getting the cuppler to stay on where your intercooler piping meets the throttle body(or intake manny which ever this is)

i absolutely can not get it to stay on. ive repositioned the elbow many different ways and this has slipped of 10 tomes (no exaggeration)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.