Subaru WRX Forum banner

Muffler delete or open muffler stage 2+ wrx hatch

5K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Devin Buxton 
#1 ·
So I currently have factory headers, cobb 3" cattless uppipe, invidia 3" catted downpipe, a midpipe with no resonator (not sure the diameter), and the factory SPT axleback. I really want to get some more noise out of the car and had contemplated tossing the axleback and running a muffler delete but I can't find any delete kits for my car, and I'm afraid it would be too loud with the mods i have up front (cop magnet). I had thought about bending some 3" pipe and running a 4" tip for an axleback but want to see if anyone has done the delete on a similar year/build. I don't have the cash flow to buy an 800$ catback :crying: But she needs more loud ;)

#2 ·
if you dont have cashflow for an exhaust, you dont have cashflow for the tickets you'll recieve.

save up and get a proper exhaust and avoid the hassle from the po-po.

#3 ·
I am getting a side pipe exhaust done up today to pop on when I want to be an annoying ass hahaha. Its mostly for shows an exhaust comps but if my neighbors dogs an horse keep coming over my house I might just sit in the driveway and 8k 2 step it :)

But seriously though. You should be able to go to an exhaust shop an ask for a straight pipe from your mid-pipe back an it shouldn't be anymore than $200

#4 ·
Best way to test the sound of a straight pipe is to remove your axleback entirely, or add a spacer that leaves the same area open. I tested my 13 with a .5 inch spacer between the midpipe and axleback leaving about 8 square inches of "exhaust leak" it was loud and mean and i loved it for canyon drives but it was far louder than Im cool with warming up the car in the driveway at 5am.

I would assume it would be an absolute cop magnet as well. as far as straight pipes crawford makes a really nice trumpet shaped single tip thats the loudest exhaust i can think of. Gymkana1 is the model I think, its essentially a double walled horn for an exhaust pipe. Again great sound but not nice for your neighbors.

#5 ·
I have a pipe bender, and i believe invidia makes really nice resonators for cars with a full muffler delete which i wouldnt mind trying if its too loud. I'm moving to the middle of nowhere in 3 weeks so start up doesn't matter. On top of that I also have a glasspack kicking around in the shop if anyone thinks that would be something to try. I would assume it would be the same as slapping a can on the car. I had bought 2 of them to put on my s10 but when i chopped the muffler off it wasn't worth my time as it wasn't loud enough to say so. Ill pop the axleback off of it and give it the old college try before i do anything further. I'll post some videos on youtube as well so people can see the difference it makes !Thumbs Up

#7 ·
I popped the axleback off and it wasn't abnoxiously loud but its louder than what im comfortable with. Im going to order 2 resonators for it, run one in the midpipe and try the glasspack instead of the muffler first then try running it with a second resonator to see what brings out the best growl/lessens the noise a bit. ill try to get video comparisons tonight for anyone who would like to get an idea on the difference it makes. I was actually surprised it was that loud, the old camaro is louder but since this is my daily were going to try and tone it down a hair.

#8 ·
well then if you're already flying under the radar, my exhaust consists of a Magnaflow resonator and muffler. its 3" turbo back & catless (4" at the bellmouth). the drone under 3000rpm is subtle and angry. i can pull away from any intersection un-noticed if i want to... but the second i put the hammer down and revs climb, it sounds like an angry gorilla. its loud at WOT and sounds pretty amazing. the muffler and resonator are high-flow, straight through design.

this isnt really a direct answer to your question, but just sayin you can get a pretty aggressive sound from a resonator and muffler with the right setup.

#9 ·
this isnt really a direct answer to your question, but just sayin you can get a pretty aggressive sound from a resonator and muffler with the right setup.
This is actually what i was looking at last night. We put dual flowmaster mufflers (pass through style) on a challenger r/t at work and at first i was entirely dissapointed at start up/idle as it didn't sound any better than factory, but on the road there was a huge difference. i was skeptical because theyre big on american muscle cars, but ill have to try it out. what length muffler did you go with?

#10 ·
not 100% sure. its not a custom exhaust. well it is kinda. its from Lachute Performance up here in canada. they sell full bolt on 3" turbo back exhaust. but essentially its just a bunch of straight pipes bent and welded with some other companies mufflers/resonators.... which happen to be awesome magnaflows.

heres the resonator:

heres the muffler:

the tiles are 12"x12" to help you gauge the size. they are both 3" inlet/outlet

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.