Mounts and braces - Page 3 - Subaru WRX Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 Old 10-03-2013, 06:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Ditto that

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 10-03-2013, 07:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

Pakal13 is an unknown
I did the master cylinder brace, pitch stop and a few other things for my '12 wrx hatch.

The master cylinder brace I did because of all the stories I head that worried me about the flex cracking the spot welds on the fire wall (there's a thread over at NASOIC, 08+ Subaru WRX Firewall Class Action Lawsuit - NASIOC about it, a long thread, but some good info in there, I think).

Went for the brace because I could see the master cylinder move if someone stepped on the brake with the car sitting, so I figured the brace couldn't hurt. I was surprised that I could tell the difference in pedal feel with it in, much more solid. Tight space there, so was a little tedious installing, fwiw.

I put in a stiffer pitch stop too, but to be honest, I can't tell a difference since doing so far as feel.

Having a WRX, I did replace the tranny mount with a group N mount - something I think STI's already have?; with that and some stiffer tranny cross member bushings from Turn in Concepts, there's a big difference - No more rubber band feeling when going through the gears, much more solid feel. There is a bit more noise & vibration, but not bad in my opinion. Makes me think that some of the other drivetrain bushing kits out there might be worth doing too down the road too.
#33 Old 10-03-2013, 07:28 AM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
I've always been curious about stiffer drivetrain mounts. If one was worried about their wrx tranny wouldn't the stock mount be better for it than a stiffer one? Not as much stress and shock on the trans. Kinda like a clutch. I do understand the stiffer one will take some slop out and give a better feel. What are you guys thoughts on this?

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#34 Old 10-03-2013, 07:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

texasmr2 is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo-key bear View Post
I've always been curious about stiffer drivetrain mounts. If one was worried about their wrx tranny wouldn't the stock mount be better for it than a stiffer one? Not as much stress and shock on the trans. Kinda like a clutch. I do understand the stiffer one will take some slop out and give a better feel. What are you guys thoughts on this?
I understand what your are saying and my take is that regardless of the make or model upgrading drivetrain bushings is a good idea because,
1. Stock bushing are rubber and they degrade quickly.
2. Simple rubber bushings are used because they are a lot less costly to make or purchase for a manufacturer.

We all worry somewhat about shocking our drivetrains but just like any other modification, such as a upgraded clutch, it will soon become second nature. I am 100% behind upgrading not only drivetrain bushings but suspension bushings as well. Upgrading your engine mount bushings is also a good idea and is often overlooked. We here are all performance fans or we would not want/drive a WRX/STi and just like everything else there is always some sort of compromise.

Just my take.
#35 Old 10-04-2013, 02:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Pakal13 is an unknown
Makes sense texasmr2.

For the items I've done so far in the drive train, I think it's actually better for the car overall - in the sense that, given the same load, the stiffer bushings absorb more of the stress than the softer rubber stuff does before giving way/flexing, which means less stress on other parts involved. Least, that's my take on it, others might have different opinions
#36 Old 10-05-2013, 08:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

texasmr2 is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakal13 View Post
Makes sense texasmr2.

For the items I've done so far in the drive train, I think it's actually better for the car overall - in the sense that, given the same load, the stiffer bushings absorb more of the stress than the softer rubber stuff does before giving way/flexing, which means less stress on other parts involved. Least, that's my take on it, others might have different opinions
I would say you are spot on.
#37 Old 10-05-2013, 09:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

Haw1es is more helpful than not
Garage
Because Pakal brought up the firewall issue, my brake and gas pedal are both slightly "wiggly" by this I mean they move side to side slightly. Is this normal or indicating the early stages of a problem? After I replace my brakes I'll be looking into doing the master cylinder brace.

Shane
2010 WRX
2003 Jetta 2.5