meth kit gains - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-04-2010, 12:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

djc1827 is an unknown
meth kit gains

I am thinking about getting a meth kit but i dont wanna drop the $500 plus 5 hours to install it unless im gonna pick up 30whp and 5mph in the quarter....opinions please?

Setup:
vf52, walbro, 650s, spt cbe, invidia dp, perrin tmic/inlet, 83mm cai, gt spec equal header/up pipe

Any vf52s with pump vs meth dyno results?

11.82 at 116mph
stock turbo 2011 wrx
337whp 411tq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-04-2010, 01:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

mulletxsubie is an unknown
running meth is like running race gas. you are going to need a tune and you will be able to turn the boost up
#3 Old 04-04-2010, 02:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Well it's not meth but here's some E85 tunes... Just select the 09 wrx from the drop down lists and you'll be able to see all the dyno charts.

Meth should be close but a little more than E85 gains. Generally 30-40 whp just because you can crank the boost a couple more lbs than with pump gas.

If you run meth you should be ok on those injectors as they have their own nozzles, but if you go E85 you're going to have to upsize them as you need 20% more flow out of it since it's less efficient than regular unleaded.

-Chris
#4 Old 04-04-2010, 08:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

djc1827 is an unknown
Whats a drop down list? Im not interested in e85 cause the closest station is too far plus im not running 1000cc inj.

I am aware i need a tune and i know i can run a couple more pounds of boost but im looking for dyno proven gains on vf52 or similar sized turbos running meth vs pump

11.82 at 116mph
stock turbo 2011 wrx
337whp 411tq
#5 Old 04-05-2010, 10:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

crazyfast is an unknown
in my opinion, running a meth kit is kinda like running nos (although the gains are of course more reliable, longer lasting and in the long run better for your engine).

why not just save up some more money and get a nice turbo upgrade? that will give you, again in my opinion, a more "real" increase in performance. not to mention you already have all of the supporting mods except some bigger fuel injectors.
#6 Old 04-05-2010, 10:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by djc1827 View Post
Whats a drop down list? Im not interested in e85 cause the closest station is too far plus im not running 1000cc inj.

I am aware i need a tune and i know i can run a couple more pounds of boost but im looking for dyno proven gains on vf52 or similar sized turbos running meth vs pump
Probably would have helped if I pasted the link that I was talking about...

Dyno Database Online

Most of these are for E85 but meth will be similar.

Most of them are around 340-350 whp, 365-370 wtq on the VF52.

-Chris
#7 Old 04-05-2010, 10:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

djc1827 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfast View Post
in my opinion, running a meth kit is kinda like running nos (although the gains are of course more reliable, longer lasting and in the long run better for your engine).

why not just save up some more money and get a nice turbo upgrade? that will give you, again in my opinion, a more "real" increase in performance. not to mention you already have all of the supporting mods except some bigger fuel injectors.

They dont make a bolt on turbo thats affordable for my 09 cause i have tmic setup. I posted the thread about this several times and no companies have direct bolt on turbos except avo which are 1800$ plus i would have to upgrade inj and clutch shorty after. I would rather to try running 11s on meth or race gas with my fast spooling vf52. Ill take a tmic with meth over a fmic anyday of the week

11.82 at 116mph
stock turbo 2011 wrx
337whp 411tq
#8 Old 04-06-2010, 01:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Most mods will shift your powerband to the right. Meth injection is one of the very few mods out there that can only benefit you, for any given rpm.

How difficult would it be to switch to an aluminum manifold? I'd imagine if the sensors are the same it should be pretty easy, and I see them selling for dirt cheap all the time. Or you could just get a FMIC, which would allow you to get a pre-08 turbo.
#9 Old 04-06-2010, 04:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

djc1827 is an unknown
So i could spend $1000 on a fmic plus $900 on hta68 cause thats the only turbo that appeals to me all for what another 50whp? And bigger inj? When i can pick up 30-40whp on race gas or meth. Have minimal lag and more reliability than bigger turbo setups. When i asked how to make an hta68 work with my tmic setup most were baffled and said buy a fmic. Why dont companies make a true bolt on 18g or hta68 for 08+? A fmic is not needed especially if running meth with tmic. My buddy has an sti with 20g and he hates it now. Laggy and 6speed is garbage for quarter mile. I had a 20g on my dsm 2liter and it was laggy plus they suck on pump gas.

I will most likely go meth and shoot for 22psi

11.82 at 116mph
stock turbo 2011 wrx
337whp 411tq
#10 Old 08-17-2010, 03:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

srninjastar is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to srninjastar
AEM is selling a meth kit for $395 with free shipping. both the 5 gallon and 1 gallon tanks are the same price. it includes detailed instructions and everything you possibly need for the install. im actually saving up for the kit right now so i can turn up boost on my turbo. with meth there is no downside, unless u run out, but even so most meth kits have a controller so that when u do run out it only pulls timing by a little bit. the positive to running a meth kit is lower intake temps, which is very good. increased octane, reduction in engine knock, and longer engine life. i say if ## gona get it get it. go to AEM UEGO Wideband O2, Water/Meth Injection, EMS, V2, Cold Air Intakes, Brute Force Intakes, AEM Gauges and Electronics and get the kit that u want. i know i am.

Keshav (kay-shuv)
stage II pro-tuned 04 STi
294whp/343wtq VF39 @19psi
#11 Old 08-17-2010, 10:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Finally changed that pic^ About time. Now I just need to put up a current one with my new trunk and wheels.

On topic...I think regardless of whether I put on my FP green or stick with the quicker spooling VF39, I'm gonna try a meth injection kit. Several people tout the "what if you run out?!?!?!" argument a lot. So? What if I do? What if you run out of oil or coolant? Keep an eye on it and plan ahead a little. It's fairly safe, cheap hp.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
#12 Old 08-17-2010, 04:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

srninjastar is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to srninjastar
with the aem kit, when the light indicates that your low on meth, it will shut off and the controler will automaticaly reduce boost to a safe amount. plus meth isnt that hard to find. most windshield wipper fluid made for -25F and colder contain a 70:30 mix of meth/water, or you can go to lowes or any hardware store and buy denatured alcohol. Its completely safe to run 100% meth on that kit, though they dont advise it do to the flameable properties of meth. all in all it seems like a pretty well thought out product.

Keshav (kay-shuv)
stage II pro-tuned 04 STi
294whp/343wtq VF39 @19psi