Lag with Perrin Intake around 4- 4.5k rpms - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 07-19-2011, 10:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

DjInfamousX is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Yeah, get a stock box and a K&N drop in filter.

For now.

FWIW.... The CAI's give you more in the mid to top end......
Yea i just put it back on [stock] intake and dropped a k&n ### my paper filter was soooo dirty.

I'll wait to out the cai until I get my AP and then get the map for it. Thanks a lot guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 07-19-2011, 11:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Also, I wouldn't just plop it back in.. .regardless of the map you get for it...
Get it tuned for. I wouldn't trust the OTS/eTunes for CAI's.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
#18 Old 07-19-2011, 11:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Just hold off on it until you get a protune.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#19 Old 07-19-2011, 02:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^^ Thanks for the lay-terms.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
#20 Old 07-19-2011, 03:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
No problem

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#21 Old 07-20-2011, 01:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

black beast2 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
To top it off, that intake is one of the hardest ones to tune for (Al from Dynoflash did mine and had a helluva time with it).

Is it the silicone one with the foam filter?
Sorry for the off topic BRO but how was your tune from Big Al, that guy is quite a character! Don't you think BRO?
#22 Old 07-20-2011, 05:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

^^ LOL

He's an @$$. But a good tuner. He came down here to SA to get a bunch of people together for a tune-weekend. He spent nearly 3 hours road tuning my car.

I liked the tune, but the intake , meh... not so much.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
#23 Old 05-28-2014, 06:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

allo1231 is an unknown
Why is it so dangerous to run (for example) a Perrin CAI without a tune? Everyone is so quick to say "Don't do it bro" it will mess you F=A ratio... it will run lean...
Please give me a no $#!+ answer as to why, and exactly what it will mess or damage or blow up???
#24 Old 05-28-2014, 11:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by allo1231 View Post
Why is it so dangerous to run (for example) a Perrin CAI without a tune? Everyone is so quick to say "Don't do it bro" it will mess you F=A ratio... it will run lean...
Please give me a no $#!+ answer as to why, and exactly what it will mess or damage or blow up???
--I understand this is your first post, This is a great thing to ask in the newbs section rather than posting your question in a 3 year old thread about performance lag?

You want the NO BS answer here goes, your ECU is tuned from the factory to a level of precision usually within .1%. that means that your factory map will release a predetermined amount of fuel for a given MAF voltage to within .1%. ANY INCREASE in airflow around the MAF > .1% will cause the MAF to under report the amount of air in the system. The ECU reads that under reporting and sends too little fuel to the cylinders causing a LEAN condition. LEAN condition can cause KNOCK, burnt pistons, burnt cylinder walls, and in some cases cause premature engine failure. While it may feel like more power for a minute it can cause permanent damage to your engine.

If you want to try a new intake please use a map designed or tuned for that intake, the cost of an intake and a tune is much less than a new engine, I'm not saying it will always grenade your engine to run without a tune but lets not risk it, these aren't Hondas.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#25 Old 05-28-2014, 11:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

thekamikaze kid is a helpful contributing member
yeah fer serious, i had a dirty maf sensor and my car would do all sorts of bucking and hesitation. if the computer on these cars is thrown off the whole car is effed up. sheesh!
#26 Old 05-29-2014, 02:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
It's not that we are quick to pull things out of our ***'s, its that we have been around subaru's long enough to see what happens when people don't listen. It's your car though, you do what you want with it.

Its funny, I posted this then went over to nasioc and this topic was going on: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2633711

His CAI, untuned, was causing a lot of knock and hell with with his timing.