K & N Typhoon Intake on 09 WRX - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-15-2009, 12:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

AtomWRX is an unknown
K & N Typhoon Intake on 09 WRX

Hey everyone, I just got the latest issue of Car & Driver magazine, and read through the WRX upgrade section at the back of the issue. C & D claims to have seen a 17 HP and 22 FT LB increase from just a K & N Typhoon Intake and it did not void the warranty. Is this an expected gain? And is it safe? I have read over the newb section, and seen the articles related to intakes. But I am unsure. Is it a good idea to upgrade the intake?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-15-2009, 03:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

Intervention is an unknown
Any intake that isn't made by SPT is going to void your warranty if anything goes wrong with the engine (or you are going to have a real hard time trying to prove your intake didn't cause your engine problems). I even asked Subaru if they would be willing to recognize any other brand of intake since they are not producing one for the 08-09 models and they said no. Also, I highly doubt they got those gains just by bolting on that intake, and you'll hear this from everybody if you are going to put an intake on your WRX you better tune for it as well.
#3 Old 07-15-2009, 03:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
yea....i agree with Intervention...i also asked the dealer and they said it was'nt covered. U dont really need an Intake though...just a nice drop in filter.
#4 Old 07-15-2009, 08:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrx9wagon is a helpful contributing member
There are more gains to be seen from a new intake rather then just a filter on the 08/09 but only if a tune goes with it.
The stock intake is extreamly restrictive.
The intake will void your warrenty though so you have to be carefull about that.
#5 Old 07-15-2009, 08:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

AtomWRX is an unknown
Thanks for the help, I definitely thought it sounded to good to be true. Is a drop in filter safe?
#6 Old 07-16-2009, 09:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

the drop in filters are safe unless it is an oil based air filter.
The only time those are unsafe is when they have way to much oil on them.
So for the majority of the time I would say that yes drop in filters are safe.
#7 Old 07-16-2009, 02:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but the 08 and 09s aren't as touchy with intakes as previous generation Ws because there isn't the same sharp bend right before the MAF sensor. Either way, a drop in filter is sill going to get the job done, but an intake will increase the turbo spool and even the bypass valve sound. I run mine with the drop in filter and I get a little bit more of a whistle from the turbo, and a tiny "psh" when I shift. Either way, you should be fine, and if you install an aftermarket intake, you "technically" void the warranty on any part that the intak could have caused to fail. Like if you use an oiled filter and the oil clogs the MAF, that won't be covered. I can't imagine the power alone of an intake causing your engine to produce too much power and actually break something though, like the tranny. You shouldn't experience the lean condition commonly associated with previous generation WRXs with an intake (cold air specifically). Once again, I've never seen numbers backing that up, but I specifically remember seeing it in an article about the new ones.
#8 Old 07-16-2009, 09:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Its more like the stock intake is a bent "S" pipe on 08/09s and anything straighter than that is a improvement. But a tune would help to correct any possible lean MAF issues.
#9 Old 07-16-2009, 10:17 PM
Suspended

Boost Addict is more helpful than not
Untuned dyno's should be taken with a grain of salt. When you install an intake and reset your ECU, you're car starts learning fresh. With more air than expected, it will lean out your AFR and that equals more power. The more miles you put on it, the less the gain will be, as your ECU is constantly trying to correct your AFRs. That's why a part feels like it's added a lot of power when you first bolt it on. Then after a few days the effect is lessened.

Case in point, a local Mazdaspeed3 owner dyno'd his vehicle at a dyno day. He bolted on a Cold Air Intake and went back on the dyno. First run showed 32 whp gain and lean. Second run showed 22 whp gain and not as lean. Third run showed something like 12 whp gain.

A company who manufactures these parts can, if they chose to, publish dyno numbers of big gains. Because, you know what? It did gain that much on the first run! So technically, it's legit, right?

When choosing aftermarket intakes, always consider the design, the research behind it, the pipe diameter and the MAF housing diameter as well. Placement of the MAF sensor is also extremely critical. Long story short, I went with the K&N Typhoon, am fully tuned, and have no regrets. I feel this intake is among the best in design and build quality.
#10 Old 07-16-2009, 11:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

AtomWRX is an unknown
I think my best bet right now is probably a drop in filter. I would like to do a tune, but want to wait a little longer.
#11 Old 08-14-2009, 02:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

PdxRex is an unknown
But dosnt a tune void the manufacturers warranty as well? Just curious because I just purchased an 09 and the parts guy said that "off the record" to go to a particular shop and have it tuned. He said if they find out it has been tuned that warranty is now no good. But I asked him if/when i need to bring in the car to have the car tuned back down to factory settings, he kinda winked and said maybe, what do you guys think?
#12 Old 08-14-2009, 05:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

They couldn't tell if you just flashed back to stock map 5 minutes ago or if it has always been that way.
I have talked to the dealership around me on this subject. That is atleast what they have told me.