Subbie is more helpful than not
Garage
Just got my parts

So far run down...

HKS Turbo Timer
HKS SSQV BOV
HKS Catless Downpipe
HKS Uppipe

Next on the list will be the under chassis bracing, sway bars and full suspension. Would like to upgrade brakes to big disk brake kit (wilwood or brembo) but that will be summer time.
May look into getting a Mishimoto radiator and intercooler.

Mishimoto thoughts:

Buddy of mine bought a radiator and intercooler from them for his 07' F250 Harley Davidson and he is extremely happy with it. He can tell a major decrease in EGTs and said the truck runs way better.

"Dustin"
- 08' WRX Premium - SOLD
- 08' Yamaha R1 - Top Speed seen is 204 - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-15-2011, 11:29 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Why get an uppipe when your car is already running a catless one? And IMHO BBK are a waste of time and money unles the car is a dedicated track car. Most times the kits make braking worse than stock as they are not valved or proportioned properly. I have no first hand experience, but from reading and research that has been what I have gathered from it.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#3 Old 01-15-2011, 12:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Oh boy...

Turbo Timer - 99% useless on a WRX, they are only used on oil cooled only turbo's. Ours are oil and water and need no time to cool off after a hard drive.

SSQV BOV - You'll find out soon enough

Catless Downpipe - You got one right!

Up Pipe - Also not much use on 06+ WRX's. IMO unless you plan to go EWG don't touch the stock up pipe.

In all reality, return the turbo timer, return the bov, return the up pipe.

With that cash you can buy the following (I'd say $700):

3-Port BCS ($100)
Some sort of intake ($150-200)
Tune ($350+) please don't run the car with that downpipe and not tuned, you need to at least get it tuned if you like your car.

Just being honest, next time do more research before spending all that money on things that make no difference, and in fact can reduce performance.

As for the bbk, don't waste your money. Get better pads, rotors, lines, and fluid and you'll stop shorter than any STI with stock brembo's. A set of stickier tires will honestly improve your braking better than a bbk as well.

Don't waste your money on a radiator. Stock is more than enough to cool what the stock turbo can do. If anything get a lower degree thermostat.

Intercooler, do it. Don't bother with mishimoto though, they only make cores. You would have to get piping made for the car as well as a way to mount the intercooler. After all that you'll probably spend more than the going price for most intercooler kits made for the WRX.

Read this: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533787
follow it religiously.

-Chris
#4 Old 01-15-2011, 12:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
I didn't mean to disappoint anyone with my parts list. I am not honestly worried about the money issue. I will have no problem tuning the vehicle. I bought the things that I wanted for the car. I will be keeping all those parts and will install all of them.

Ah, yes! The manifesto! Everyone lives by this. I don't want to have your car or the last guys car that read that thread either.

"Dustin"
- 08' WRX Premium - SOLD
#5 Old 01-15-2011, 05:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

tonyturbo13 is an unknown
Like you said, if you have no problem tuning your car after parts installation for the parts, go for it. Especially is money is not an issue...
#6 Old 01-15-2011, 09:47 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
So you think that because you didnt read the manifesto and still bought brand name parts made directly for a subauru you are original? Whatever helps you sleep at nite. Good luck with your project tho.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#7 Old 01-16-2011, 11:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
Oh boy...
Up Pipe - Also not much use on 06+ WRX's. IMO unless you plan to go EWG don't touch the stock up pipe.
Would you believe that a Subaru "technician" (the first one to work on my car recently) told me that my 08 STi had a cat in the up pipe!? Next technician, please!
#8 Old 01-16-2011, 03:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
So you think that because you didnt read the manifesto and still bought brand name parts made directly for a subauru you are original? Whatever helps you sleep at nite. Good luck with your project tho.
Yes I do believe that no one in the world has ever bought these parts. So don't tell them what I got. Do you really think I am that stupid? Anyway, everyone will buy the parts they want. Isn't the object of tuning your cars to make them run better, look better and to be original in your own aspect. I am not trying to argue with anyone on here that what you have isn't as good as what I have or vice versa. People venture these forums because we all want to share our experience with one another and help someone out along the way if they need it.

I didn't post this list looking for anyones approval. If I have a question or think I may need someone to tell me what to do wwith my car then I will ask. I am not saying I know everything about these cars either.

"Dustin"
- 08' WRX Premium - SOLD
#9 Old 01-17-2011, 05:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbie View Post
Buddy of mine bought a radiator and intercooler from them for his 07' F250 Harley Davidson and he is extremely happy with it. He can tell a major decrease in EGTs and said the truck runs way better.
You can't go wrong with one of their radiators....Especially for the price... you know how the heat is down here... it can't hurt.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#10 Old 01-17-2011, 07:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
You can't go wrong with one of their radiators....Especially for the price... you know how the heat is down here... it can't hurt.
I have noticed the paint on my scoop is coming off. I will take a pic and post it. Do you know if they make a carbon fiber scoop. I may just have to put a some heat barrier beat the scoop and the engine.

"Dustin"
- 08' WRX Premium - SOLD
#11 Old 01-17-2011, 09:24 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbie View Post
I didn't post this list looking for anyones approval. If I have a question or think I may need someone to tell me what to do wwith my car then I will ask. I am not saying I know everything about these cars either.
Nobody ASKED you to post your parts here. This is a DISCUSSION forum, that means we discuss. If you don't want people to discuss the parts and ask questions about them and recommend things to you, then don't post your parts.

The parts you have chosen are not useful (besides the downpipe). They are not helpful in making your car go faster in any way and therefor are often looked down upon by the community. BOV's and Turbo Timers can cause problems, we often get posts on this forum of people with "mysterious" problems which often link back to these two parts. Another common mistake is to put on a downpipe and not tune for it. You seem to also be going down this commonly problematic path.

The hood scoop on the 08 is part of the hood. It cannot be replaced separately. Only the 02-07 scoops are separate pieces of plastic.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#12 Old 01-17-2011, 10:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
Nobody ASKED you to post your parts here. This is a DISCUSSION forum, that means we discuss. If you don't want people to discuss the parts and ask questions about them and recommend things to you, then don't post your parts.

The parts you have chosen are not useful (besides the downpipe). They are not helpful in making your car go faster in any way and therefor are often looked down upon by the community. BOV's and Turbo Timers can cause problems, we often get posts on this forum of people with "mysterious" problems which often link back to these two parts. Another common mistake is to put on a downpipe and not tune for it. You seem to also be going down this commonly problematic path.

The hood scoop on the 08 is part of the hood. It cannot be replaced separately. Only the 02-07 scoops are separate pieces of plastic.
Got my Perrin MBC!

Here is a link by a "senior" member and it sure doesn't look like he started a discussion. More like just telling everyone what parts he got. Of course after he installed it and found it to not workout then it became somewhat of a discussion.

Contemplating why I paid the $40 to be a member of this site again. If I have problems with my ride I will sure post about it for discussion. Again, doubt that will be the issue but hey I am not the expert.

"Dustin"
- 08' WRX Premium - SOLD

Last edited by Subbie; 01-17-2011 at 10:33 AM. Reason: forgot a word
#13 Old 01-17-2011, 11:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
If you get anything with the Mishimoto brand name on it, you've got your own problems. There is nothing wrong with your stock radiator.

As everyone else said, you just wasted a bunch of money.
#14 Old 01-17-2011, 11:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Justin, my stock radiator took a dump on my 07wrx after one season of auto-x (and 22K miles overall).... The Mishimoto is far superior to "calsonic".. .hahaha....

Not saying everyones' will go bad... just mine did and the Mishimoto worked well for a yr and a half afterwards.

And before you start to beat me up... I did religious flushes and refills. Mishimoto has come a long way since 06.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#15 Old 01-17-2011, 12:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

06f250sd is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
WRONG...the hood scoop can be replaced on the 08+, the problem is that nobody sells just the scoop. So the only way you are going to find one will be someone selling their cf one off of the cf hood

TREBLE RACING