Intro and Cobb Stage 1.5 Questions - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 05-12-2013, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Moogatwo is an unknown
Intro and Cobb Stage 1.5 Questions

Hello all. I purchased my 2013 STI about a month ago. I had a 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-Spec, but it just wasn't the car for me. I did not enjoy driving it. No regrets on the STI, it's a fantastic car. I'm approaching the 1K mile break-in and I've decided I want to do a Cobb Stage 1.5 (I believe that's the intake + accessport?). I have a few specific questions about the accessport. I've been looking over the forums, and I have not seen any answers to my questions. I want to sincerely apologize in advance if any of my questions have been answered in another thread.

1. How invasive is the installation on a 2013? Once I've flashed my ECU to stage 1.5 do I need to keep the AP attached? Or can I detach it and close my interior panel back up? None of the installation videos show that step in great detail.

2. Can I still utilize my SI drive? I live in Chicago, so I really enjoying being able to use I mode to cut my acceleration in rush hour.

3. What are the long-term effects on the engine from running at stage 1.5? The STI is my daily drive car, but most of my daily drive is spent in morning/evening rush hour. For the most part, I keep it in I mode for the fuel efficiency. Besides the occasional pull from a red-light I do not drive the car very hard, and I always keep my vehicles up to date on maintenance. Also, I have no intention of ever using the car on a track or drag strip. Is a stage 1.5 flash going to slowly destroy my car? I really love the car, so I'm planning on keeping it for another 5 or 6 years. I've seen a lot of "will X mod void my warranty", but never any discussion on the actual impact of the mod.

Thanks in advance for the help; this forum has been a great resource!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-13-2013, 09:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogatwo View Post
Hello all. I purchased my 2013 STI about a month ago. I had a 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-Spec, but it just wasn't the car for me. I did not enjoy driving it. No regrets on the STI, it's a fantastic car. I'm approaching the 1K mile break-in and I've decided I want to do a Cobb Stage 1.5 (I believe that's the intake + accessport?). I have a few specific questions about the accessport. I've been looking over the forums, and I have not seen any answers to my questions. I want to sincerely apologize in advance if any of my questions have been answered in another thread.

1. How invasive is the installation on a 2013? Once I've flashed my ECU to stage 1.5 do I need to keep the AP attached? No, just reflash and un-plug it unless you are monitoring something Or can I detach it and close my interior panel back up? None of the installation videos show that step in great detail.

2. Can I still utilize my SI drive? I live in Chicago, so I really enjoying being able to use I mode to cut my acceleration in rush hour. Yes, you should

3. What are the long-term effects on the engine from running at stage 1.5? As with any mod, it will affect the car in one way or another The STI is my daily drive car, but most of my daily drive is spent in morning/evening rush hour. For the most part, I keep it in I mode for the fuel efficiency. Besides the occasional pull from a red-light I do not drive the car very hard, and I always keep my vehicles up to date on maintenance. Also, I have no intention of ever using the car on a track or drag strip. Is a stage 1.5 flash going to slowly destroy my car? Shouldn't I really love the car, so I'm planning on keeping it for another 5 or 6 years. I've seen a lot of "will X mod void my warranty", but never any discussion on the actual impact of the mod. I have heard the 12's and 13's the dealer cannot tell anything was done for warranty work other than the checksum, but it is a risk either way you look at it

See bolded above

And welcome

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #3 of 7 Old 05-13-2013, 10:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

NeverSummer is more helpful than not
The stock tune is bad for your. It's been proven many times. Stock tune runs way too lean! Not good! Once you flash the car, you can disconnect it and keep the ap in your glove box. Getting an ap is a great idea to lose the stock tune. If I was in your shoes (which I was not long ago) I would honest do the stage 2 w a protune. I bought my 13 sti in January. I currently have 2600 miles. I currently have a downpipe, aem CAI, 3port bcs, fic 1100 injectors, dw65c fuel pump, and a protune running on E85 ethanol. I don't agree w the stock tunes at all. I've seen many stock dynos and they are terrible. Sti's are sooooo restricted from the factory. But you know they say....you gotta pay to play. Get a downpipe and a protune and let that car do its thing. Down pipes are safe ave free up about 50hp. My car bone stock put down 235 whp. Once I did the dp and tune on a stock air box I put down 278whp. Now that I upgraded my injectors and fuel pump im now 310whp on 93 pump gas and 343whp on e85 ethanol. I certainly recommend a dp stage 2 for u bro. It'll be like night and day!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #4 of 7 Old 05-13-2013, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Moogatwo is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverSummer View Post
The stock tune is bad for your. It's been proven many times. Stock tune runs way too lean! Not good! Once you flash the car, you can disconnect it and keep the ap in your glove box. Getting an ap is a great idea to lose the stock tune. If I was in your shoes (which I was not long ago) I would honest do the stage 2 w a protune. I bought my 13 sti in January. I currently have 2600 miles. I currently have a downpipe, aem CAI, 3port bcs, fic 1100 injectors, dw65c fuel pump, and a protune running on E85 ethanol. I don't agree w the stock tunes at all. I've seen many stock dynos and they are terrible. Sti's are sooooo restricted from the factory. But you know they say....you gotta pay to play. Get a downpipe and a protune and let that car do its thing. Down pipes are safe ave free up about 50hp. My car bone stock put down 235 whp. Once I did the dp and tune on a stock air box I put down 278whp. Now that I upgraded my injectors and fuel pump im now 310whp on 93 pump gas and 343whp on e85 ethanol. I certainly recommend a dp stage 2 for u bro. It'll be like night and day!

Thanks for the advice. I think the Cobb Stage 1.5 is the best fit for my driving style/budget. besides the occasional red light race, I don't drive my car hard. I'm not sure I'd need the addional power, but I'm sure your's is a blast to drive!
post #5 of 7 Old 05-13-2013, 12:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

It's bitter sweet the cobb stage 1. There isn't a 1.5. It's either 1 or 2. You def notice a diff in stage 1. Intake and re flash. I recommend the aem CAI over the cobb intake. I've had both. Aems is alot nicer. The only reason why I mentioned protune....is because I read so don't hold me to it....the cobb ots make aren't good long term. Stage 1 via cobb runs super rich. U have understand, cobb made these generic maps got anyone that buys an ap. you can take two of the same exact cars and flash them and they can run totally diff w diff gains. I highly recommend you go stage 2. Downpipe and tune. You won't regret it. You are exactly how I was a few months ago. So maybe not go so extreme as me. I would really go w an aem CAI and some sort of downpipe. You will thank me later. Ps. You will get use to The stage 1 re flash in a day or so. Feel free to contact me if u have any questions/concerns

post #6 of 7 Old 05-14-2013, 02:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

galvin1492 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogatwo View Post

1. How invasive is the installation on a 2013? Once I've flashed my ECU to stage 1.5 do I need to keep the AP attached? Or can I detach it and close my interior panel back up? None of the installation videos show that step in great detail.

2. Can I still utilize my SI drive? I live in Chicago, so I really enjoying being able to use I mode to cut my acceleration in rush hour.

3. What are the long-term effects on the engine from running at stage 1.5? The STI is my daily drive car, but most of my daily drive is spent in morning/evening rush hour. For the most part, I keep it in I mode for the fuel efficiency. Besides the occasional pull from a red-light I do not drive the car very hard, and I always keep my vehicles up to date on maintenance. Also, I have no intention of ever using the car on a track or drag strip. Is a stage 1.5 flash going to slowly destroy my car? I really love the car, so I'm planning on keeping it for another 5 or 6 years. I've seen a lot of "will X mod void my warranty", but never any discussion on the actual impact of the mod.

Bump

I recently bought a 2013 too. I've been through the break-in for about a month now and am also considering going to Cobb Stage 1. Are there a lot of risks with Knock when going stage 1 with stock everything else? I'm cool with the long-term risks associated with modding, but I've seen a lot of posters posting charts asking for help fixing knock and it seems like a huge stress. Also, is it true the 2013 stage 1 map runs lean at high rpms?
post #7 of 7 Old 05-14-2013, 04:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

Get a cobb ap. get a dp. Get a stage 2 protune. You will have no knock.