Intercooler/Turbo question - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-22-2011, 02:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Subbie is more helpful than not
Garage
Intercooler/Turbo question

This may have tried before or may not even be possible but my buddy has a 04' Cobra putting 700whp to the road. Whipple blower...blah blah blah.

Anyway last night we got on the subject of intercoolers.

He told me I should look into a water cooled intercooler that runs your ACs R-134a thru it. Told me that after running the car hard for an hour, he put his finger in the resevoir and it was freezing. Now he got me thinking...hmmm

So Monday I will get on the phone and see if the company that makes them (currently only for fords) will piece me together a unit for my Subbie.

1. Is it possible to send too cold of air to the turbo?

Any opinions and if the community as a whole sees it as something good, and if I get a prototype made up and installed and the numbers are worth it and people are interested in one, might see if we can't get them to do a group buy deal.

Anyway, give me some thoughts. I will let you know what I found out on Monday.

"Dustin"
- 08' WRX Premium - SOLD
- 08' Yamaha R1 - Top Speed seen is 204 - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-22-2011, 06:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
People use them on turbos a lot. There are pros and cons to both and generally water to air has very small benefits to a good air to air setup. There may be a bit of power to gain, but it will not come cheap.

-Chris
#3 Old 01-22-2011, 11:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
To cold of air to the turbo? You mean motor right? Sending cold air to the turbo would mean your some how pushing cold air into the filter. As for to cold of air going to the motor the answer is no. I was doin 100mph today getting on the highway and it was 20 out with a wind chill at that speed of probably -20.

Tuning maybe tough cause how's the temp going to be controlled? How's ice build up going to be controlled? How's water condensation on the inside of the IC mixing water with your air/fuel going to be controlled?

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
#4 Old 01-23-2011, 07:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
To cold of air to the turbo? You mean motor right? Sending cold air to the turbo would mean your some how pushing cold air into the filter. As for to cold of air going to the motor the answer is no. I was doin 100mph today getting on the highway and it was 20 out with a wind chill at that speed of probably -20.

Tuning maybe tough cause how's the temp going to be controlled? How's ice build up going to be controlled? How's water condensation on the inside of the IC mixing water with your air/fuel going to be controlled?
Yeah I did mean the motor. Was in a rush, my 11 year old was rushing me out the door while 4 was crying about his medicine. So needless to say focus was gone. Anyway

You bring up some great points syno. I will have to discuss these questions with the manufacturer. I do know that to activate the system you must have the AC unit on.

I could have methanol injected in the water to keep it from freezing up and causing ice deposits.

"Dustin"
- 08' WRX Premium - SOLD
#5 Old 01-24-2011, 05:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Then just do meth injection.... And a nice air to air TMIC

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
#6 Old 01-24-2011, 08:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Then just do meth injection.... And a nice air to air TMIC
When I meant meth injection I meant only to have methanol injected into the water. Methanol is actually a good de-icer per say. We use it a lot in our plant to keep ice deposits from forming in our valves where we having a cooling effect.

"Dustin"
- 08' WRX Premium - SOLD
#7 Old 02-14-2011, 09:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

andrewc is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit;
I was doin 100mph today getting on the highway and it was 20 out with a wind chill at that speed of probably -20.
Wind chill is only how it feels on your skin. The air actually becomes hotter as you go faster due to friction.
That being said, when the engine is already warmed up to 200 degrees, generally the colder the air the better. There is such a thing as too cold, but that temperature would be right around the freezing point of gasoline, which is well below -100 degrees. So unless you're on the dark side of the moon, you should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbie View Post
I do know that to activate the system you must have the AC unit on.
I would think that running the AC compressor would negate the small advantage that the water intercooler would have over air to air. I'm guessing that you're money would be better spent on an air to air FMIC.
#8 Old 02-15-2011, 12:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc View Post
Wind chill is only how it feels on your skin. The air actually becomes hotter as you go faster due to friction.
your joking right? you do realize that to get air to heat up you would have to be going several times the speed of sound??

and your wrong on a motor. wind chill is like blowing on hot soup, it takes the heat away faster. another example would be if you put a 100 degree glass of water in your freezer and 100 degree glass of water outside with a wind chill of 25 MPH which makes it feel like 8 degrees and its 35 outside and in your freezer, the glass outside will cool faster. same with a motor. if its 200 degrees as you say and you set off when its 90 degrees vs 35 degrees, it takes longer to cool the motor when its 90 out. the glass and motor however will only ever get to the ambient temp. so at 100mph your motor and the air going in are getting closer to the ambient temp (20 degrees)then if traveling at only 50 mph. so the faster you go the cooler the air going into the motor will be.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
#9 Old 02-15-2011, 07:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Basically by adding the AC line running thru the intercooler (to chill the water) you are creating an dual staged exchanger. The R-134a cools the water and the water cools the air. The temp in both (the air and water) will move in respect to the each other. Thus creating a cooler air temp and a warmer water temp. It may or may not create enough cooling effect to the air (depending on the number of passes the chilled water makes) to be beneficial, but none the less, should have at least 20-25 degree decrease in air temperature. (Just speculating on these numbers)

"Dustin"
- 08' WRX Premium - SOLD