Subaru WRX Forum banner

To Intake or stay stock airbox

32K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  Ruso 
#1 ·
I am currently running Stage2 HWG with an Invidia Q300 TBE and K&N drop in filter in my 2012 WRX hatch. I have read many negative posts about the drop in. I ran a datalog from 2K to 7K RPM's. I sent the report to Cobb and they wrote me back saying how my datalog looks real strong and healthy and how the K&N drop in is either a hit or miss, in my case it is a hit. Now, the dilemma is whether or not I should keep what I have since it is running great or go with an after market intake.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
Not trying to threadjack but what are idea iat's? I say go with a intake that's compatible with your Cobb map, op. If i remember correctly the stock intake on the 08+ is a little more restrictive than the previous models where they were good up to 350-400 hp. Maybe someone more savvy on the newer models can confirm that.

#6 ·
^you could be right. Thought i read something somewhere that they were more restricted. I could be wrong though and i don't want to put any false info out there. If they are good then the op should put that cash somewhere else like a pro tune unless he is wanting to hear that sweet intake song we all love. Now that I think about it, the iat's have a lot of variables. I'm sure cai, sri, and ambient temps all factor in. Reason I was curious is because mine always seem high.

#8 ·
I have an aem cai with the cobb ots stage 2+aem and it really brings the turbo sound out. I personally love it. I definitely recommend the aem over the cobb intake. The sound you get now probably isn't anything close to an aem cai. Fyi if you're looking for aem summit had them the cheapest and I got it the next day with free shipping.

Get a tbe and you have some wonderful songs to be played lol. :D

#9 ·
You'll get some people telling you the stock airbox is good up to xx power... But so is the stock catback, stock intercooler,stock headers, stock clutch, etc....

In my opinion upgrades are for people who want power... A car with stage 2 will make x power... A car with stage 2 and an intake will make x power plus 10-15 hp...

Lets just say (generic numbers here) a stage 2 wrx makes 220 whp.... Well with headers, intake, ported turbo, bigger intercooler... Etc.... You could make 250-260 whp.... As long as you are tuned for it...

An intake will make your car sound cooler... As far as safe, your acessport or whatever you use for tuning should have a data logging option. Log your knock, your timing, and your air fuel mix. As long as there isn't knock your solid... If there is... Add a little more fuel at that point in the tune... In my opinion anyone with a "tuned" car with upgrades should be logging their car and know at least a little about what's happening. Generic stage 2 maps are usually pretty safe, but lets say your car is a black sheep and is knocking or running lean... I wouldn't change an ecu map without logging it at least once or twice in different conditions.

#15 ·
Okay, here is my verdict. I have now been running AEM CAI with my Cobb stage2+AEM. I have noticed better throttle response, more top end pull, and overall better performance than my K&N drop in filter. Some may experience different results or have their own philosophy on the issue, but my dive into the aftermarket intakes was well worth it. I appreciate everyone's input when I started this thread, but I am really glad I checked it out on my own.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#16 ·
im still tryin to figure out whats better, the cobb sf intake or the stock air w/ the k&n drop in or the perrin short ram (requiring a pro tune) if u rr just running a cobb tune then u only have the oprtion of a running a aem or cobb sf intake. its hard to tell whats the best because no one has ran all of these options! im glad u r happy with the aem tho cause that crosses off one of the options. oh and good luck with the aem cai!

#24 ·
I replaced it with the factory box AND factory style filter..and wouldn't ya know it.....now the car ran awesome . I do have other bolt one...really smoothed the car out, better idle, better sound and the torque response is a butt-dyno positive. There is no mistake, it made GOBS more low and mid range power than my JWT. But that's my car.And i evaluate my car by Locksmith in Davie.Good professionals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.