Intake silencer Wrx 2011 - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 08-09-2011, 11:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

sicc_soul is an unknown
going off of COBB's web page, a stage one on 93 octane will give you 8.6% more HP, while a stage one with an intake will give you 16.6%.......Looks like an intake with tune adds power (significant) to me. Yes I know ambient temp. plays a role, but simple numbers show on 08+ WRX's that intakes with a tune increase power.

Have to be young and stupid to be old and wise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 08-09-2011, 12:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

cwinterbower is more helpful than not
Garage
I can say with confidence you can squeeze a little more out of the turbo with a free flowing intake, and I can also say with confidence it has nothing to do with temps. The 08+'s intake are very restrictive, just the design. I would say 8% over just a drop in filter would be a stretch to say the least, I saw about 9hp on top with stage 2.
-Carl
#18 Old 08-13-2011, 07:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

pocketrocket41 is an unknown
I have the cobb ap now with the srage 1 + aem and it even shows on the website the dif in hp gains. i really dont even know y people go stage to be honest be cause on the chart u only get 2 more horse power than you do with stage 1.

Cobb APStage1+AEMCAI 93 muffler delete magnaflow quad tips. Kartboy SS MOMO knob 8kHID Smoked tails.
#19 Old 08-14-2011, 12:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

sicc_soul is an unknown
yeah, i just did a COBB stage 1 with SF and I'm more than happy with the results.

Have to be young and stupid to be old and wise
#20 Old 08-14-2011, 09:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

yea i was amazed when i floored it for the first time in second gear.. before it would accelerate but at top boost it felt like it wasnt that powerful but after i did the tune man its like a diff car. i love it. a lot of money but worth it IMO.

Cobb APStage1+AEMCAI 93 muffler delete magnaflow quad tips. Kartboy SS MOMO knob 8kHID Smoked tails.
#21 Old 08-18-2011, 09:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

thesaltyguy is an unknown
yea i just got a aem cai and tbe on my 11 wrx and yes its sounds great and picks up great. but w my tune(os protune) i lost 10hp because it was so lean from the factory, was pushin 286 and now im down to 276 but i picked up some torque...im at 310 now. Yes ## gonna hear bout their a waste of money and u may or may not get much of a gain...oh well life goes on...now im just worried bout blowing my intercooler...with boost being up around 18.5, and the stock tmic's i heard tend to blow out at high psi
#22 Old 08-18-2011, 10:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

im pretty sure you would have to be running more psi than that. someone said on here i think dont quote me but the factory bpv and tmic are good to 25 psi. i dont know how true that is but i think you should be good considering your only at 18.5

#23 Old 08-22-2011, 06:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Not the plastic TMICs and BPVs the 3rd gens come with. They will break after 18 psi.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#24 Old 01-14-2012, 09:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

Wussola is an unknown
If you purchase a Cobb AP, then you can download maps from their site for both the Cobb SF & AEM intake.

In terms of HP ... per Cobb (for which they supple impressive data and maps) the intake will offer a little more HP (301 vs 309 HP and this is factory stated HP with added % per Cobb not dyno'd). I think the greatest benefit from the intake in an otherwise stock car (expect Cobb AP tune) is more torque (forgot the figures), higher AP set Boost (17-Stage 1 + SF vs 16-Stage 1 w/o SF), and faster spool up time for your turbo. At least this is what I've read and feel when I drive my car.

I actually, temporarily, un-installed my Cobb SF intake system after being annoyed with the noise that it made during the daily drive (the "sucking" noise under normal acceleration). However, have since re-installed it because of the performance difference .... and am just getting use to the noise.

hope this helps.

2011 WRX Premium Sedan - WR Blue
Cobb AP Stage 1 93 & Cobb SF Intake
Short Shifter
#25 Old 01-14-2012, 02:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

Wussola is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketrocket41 View Post
I have the cobb ap now with the srage 1 + aem and it even shows on the website the dif in hp gains. i really dont even know y people go stage to be honest be cause on the chart u only get 2 more horse power than you do with stage 1.

I agree that you really do not get a huge gain in HP going state 2, but you do get more torque. If you look at the maps (charts) at the HP and torque curves you'll realize that with stage 2 the curves are steeper ... meaning that you get a little more HP and more torque quicker when you hit the throttle. which would mean faster acceleration off the line.

At least that's my understanding. I'm currently running stage 1 and thinking about stage two for the spring .... waiting for the Cobb cat back exhaust to come out for the sedan ....

2011 WRX Premium Sedan - WR Blue
Cobb AP Stage 1 93 & Cobb SF Intake
Short Shifter
#26 Old 01-17-2012, 08:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

Rexah2 is an unknown
Thanks for everyones input! Im going to Cobb stage 1 with sf!
#27 Old 01-18-2012, 10:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

WrxCruising is an unknown
I just recently installed the Cobb Intake with air intake box. Sound is completely different and sweet. Just remember to use engine management after.
#28 Old 01-19-2012, 01:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

black beast2 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaltyguy View Post
yea i just got a aem cai and tbe on my 11 wrx and yes its sounds great and picks up great. but w my tune(os protune) i lost 10hp because it was so lean from the factory, was pushin 286 and now im down to 276 but i picked up some torque...im at 310 now. Yes ## gonna hear bout their a waste of money and u may or may not get much of a gain...oh well life goes on...now im just worried bout blowing my intercooler...with boost being up around 18.5, and the stock tmic's i heard tend to blow out at high psi

So I'm confused, how did your car come stock with 286whp when they are rated at 265 at the crank from the factory? I heard they under rate the wrx so they can sell sti's easyer but to have 20 more HP at the wheels then what its rated at the crank is rediculous. Unless your talking crank HP witch I doubt since most all dyno's read at the wheels I'm calling BS.

I don't have to be mad to punch someone in the face!
#29 Old 01-19-2012, 12:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

thepants1337 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by black beast2 View Post
So I'm confused, how did your car come stock with 286whp when they are rated at 265 at the crank from the factory? I heard they under rate the wrx so they can sell sti's easyer but to have 20 more HP at the wheels then what its rated at the crank is rediculous. Unless your talking crank HP witch I doubt since most all dyno's read at the wheels I'm calling BS.
Bump^ 286whp stock sounds... fishy.
#30 Old 01-27-2012, 12:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

ABQMK2 is an unknown
^^^^^totally fishy..im protuned stage 2 and dont have that much HP. STI maybe?

Cam tuned stage 2 2011 WRX
270HP/340TQ @ 17PSI 91 Octane

Jake