Intake silencer Wrx 2011 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-10-2011, 09:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

Rexah2 is an unknown
Intake silencer Wrx 2011

Hey i was wondering if there's a intake silencer in the 2011 WRX sedans. If there is how do i take it out?(step by step! ) Will i be able to put it back on? i heard its just a big white plastic jug.
Does it make a big sound difference in the 2011 wrx?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-11-2011, 12:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

bizzle is more helpful than not
Send a message via Yahoo to bizzle
Far as I know, they got rid of the silencer crap starting in 08. Pretty sure I don't have one, but then again, I hear my turbo spool and blow with my downpipe installed if that is what you are after....

-D
#3 Old 05-11-2011, 08:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
The 08+ WRXs do not have the silencer, but the 08+ STIs do.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#4 Old 05-13-2011, 09:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

Rexah2 is an unknown
So theres nothing i can take out? Ah what air intake would you guy recommend? I live in minnesota
#5 Old 05-13-2011, 10:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Stock with a drop in aftermarket filter... You have any engine management?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#6 Old 05-16-2011, 09:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Yeah, stay with a K&N type drop in filter unless you want to tune for just a intake.

Kirt
#7 Old 05-18-2011, 08:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Rexah2 is an unknown
Is there a Air intake on the market that doesn't require a tune?!
#8 Old 05-18-2011, 08:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nope, unless you want to grab OTS maps from Cobb or I think XPT has OS OTS maps for a intake or two. Do some research and see which EM route you want to go and that'd dictate which intake you want to get. Unless you want to do a protune for just a intake.

Kirt
#9 Old 08-07-2011, 09:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

pocketrocket41 is an unknown
I was wondering the same thing as well and thats when i emailed aemintakes and asked them. Their reply was that they build their intakes to the stock maf ecu readings so it is safe to run this intake without a tune. but they also told me if i wanted to go stage 1 or 2 to make sure that i got the maps that had the aem setting with it. ive been running an aem cai for about 2 months and no problems.

Cobb APStage1+AEMCAI 93 muffler delete magnaflow quad tips. Kartboy SS MOMO knob 8kHID Smoked tails.
#10 Old 08-07-2011, 11:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

black beast2 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketrocket41 View Post
I was wondering the same thing as well and thats when i emailed aemintakes and asked them. Their reply was that they build their intakes to the stock maf ecu readings so it is safe to run this intake without a tune.

A lot of companies claim this but it is not true. Some people get lucky and have no problems, and some people blow their motor. I personally wouldn't risk it. If the readings stay the same as stock and the airflow is the same then why waste a couple hundred dollars on something that does nothing?
#11 Old 08-08-2011, 09:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

sicc_soul is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexah2 View Post
Is there a Air intake on the market that doesn't require a tune?!
Nope. Perrin claims their intake is safe (which it might be), they show air/fuel ratio numbers on their website, BUT interestingly enough they DONT show any graphs with HP gains. I was dumb enough to get this intake without a tune and in the end I lost HP and had low end sputter. I did get the "psssshhh" sound but to me thats not worth HP loss and poor performance. Oh and big shocker, I tried to post my review of this intake on their website and it was never put up.

Have to be young and stupid to be old and wise
#12 Old 08-08-2011, 09:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

sicc_soul is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexah2 View Post
So theres nothing i can take out? Ah what air intake would you guy recommend? I live in minnesota
COBB intake with accessport

Have to be young and stupid to be old and wise
#13 Old 08-08-2011, 01:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

pocketrocket41 is an unknown
Thought i wasnt goin to go stage 1 but i will eventually with the AEM intake. People say stage 1 is safer anyways.

Cobb APStage1+AEMCAI 93 muffler delete magnaflow quad tips. Kartboy SS MOMO knob 8kHID Smoked tails.
#14 Old 08-08-2011, 02:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

cwinterbower is more helpful than not
Garage
Yeah, I'm callen BS on all the intake garb. Almost anyone that has been tuning and working on their car will tell you their worst investment was either
A) Silly BOV, or
B) Cold Air Intake
They net you a few hp if you are pushing your turbo near it's effeciency edge, but otherwise just throw your A/F ratios off, I have tried several of them all claiming to be "Drop In" and every single one threw my cars into knock correction due to lean conditions near the middle of the band.
-Carl
#15 Old 08-09-2011, 02:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

black beast2 is an unknown
^ I think if you have a bigger turbo then a quality SRI works great, on 08+ wrx's their intakes are quite a bit more restrictive then previous years "at least that's what I've been told by more then one tuner." I don't think a cold air intake is a very good choice, in my climate "very wet" you are likely to suck up some water, then you are in a lot of trouble. Plus in my opinion they won't cool the air charge any more then a short ram. Yes they pull in cooler air but by the time it's heated by the turbo I'm pretty sure the temp is about the same, that's what your intercooler is for. On a N/A car a CAI can do wonders for HP but that's a whole other ball of wax.