Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-on Tech (EJ255/EJ257 2.5L 2008+ WRX, STi, and GT) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Intake silencer Wrx 2011 (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/intake-silencer-wrx-2011-a-30720/)

Rexah2 05-10-2011 09:05 PM

Intake silencer Wrx 2011

Hey i was wondering if there's a intake silencer in the 2011 WRX sedans. If there is how do i take it out?(step by step! :D) Will i be able to put it back on? i heard its just a big white plastic jug.
Does it make a big sound difference in the 2011 wrx?

bizzle 05-11-2011 12:48 AM

Far as I know, they got rid of the silencer crap starting in 08. Pretty sure I don't have one, but then again, I hear my turbo spool and blow with my downpipe installed if that is what you are after....

-D

turmic 05-11-2011 08:55 PM

The 08+ WRXs do not have the silencer, but the 08+ STIs do.

Rexah2 05-13-2011 09:26 AM

So theres nothing i can take out? Ah what air intake would you guy recommend? I live in minnesota

pzr2874 05-13-2011 10:11 AM

Stock with a drop in aftermarket filter... You have any engine management?

turmic 05-16-2011 09:01 PM

Yeah, stay with a K&N type drop in filter unless you want to tune for just a intake.

Rexah2 05-18-2011 08:48 PM

Is there a Air intake on the market that doesn't require a tune?!

turmic 05-18-2011 08:58 PM

Nope, unless you want to grab OTS maps from Cobb or I think XPT has OS OTS maps for a intake or two. Do some research and see which EM route you want to go and that'd dictate which intake you want to get. Unless you want to do a protune for just a intake.

pocketrocket41 08-07-2011 09:52 PM

I was wondering the same thing as well and thats when i emailed aemintakes and asked them. Their reply was that they build their intakes to the stock maf ecu readings so it is safe to run this intake without a tune. but they also told me if i wanted to go stage 1 or 2 to make sure that i got the maps that had the aem setting with it. ive been running an aem cai for about 2 months and no problems.

black beast2 08-07-2011 11:32 PM

[quote=pocketrocket41;265733]I was wondering the same thing as well and thats when i emailed aemintakes and asked them. Their reply was that they build their intakes to the stock maf ecu readings so it is safe to run this intake without a tune.[/quote]

A lot of companies claim this but it is not true. Some people get lucky and have no problems, and some people blow their motor. I personally wouldn't risk it. If the readings stay the same as stock and the airflow is the same then why waste a couple hundred dollars on something that does nothing?

sicc_soul 08-08-2011 09:50 AM

[quote=Rexah2;261419]Is there a Air intake on the market that doesn't require a tune?![/quote]

Nope. Perrin claims their intake is safe (which it might be), they show air/fuel ratio numbers on their website, BUT interestingly enough they DONT show any graphs with HP gains. I was dumb enough to get this intake without a tune and in the end I lost HP and had low end sputter. I did get the "psssshhh" sound but to me thats not worth HP loss and poor performance. Oh and big shocker, I tried to post my review of this intake on their website and it was never put up.

sicc_soul 08-08-2011 09:52 AM

[quote=Rexah2;261154]So theres nothing i can take out? Ah what air intake would you guy recommend? I live in minnesota[/quote]

COBB intake with accessport

pocketrocket41 08-08-2011 01:55 PM

Thought i wasnt goin to go stage 1 but i will eventually with the AEM intake. People say stage 1 is safer anyways.

cwinterbower 08-08-2011 02:44 PM

Yeah, I'm callen BS on all the intake garb. Almost anyone that has been tuning and working on their car will tell you their worst investment was either
A) Silly BOV, or
B) Cold Air Intake
They net you a few hp if you are pushing your turbo near it's effeciency edge, but otherwise just throw your A/F ratios off, I have tried several of them all claiming to be "Drop In" and every single one threw my cars into knock correction due to lean conditions near the middle of the band.
-Carl

black beast2 08-09-2011 02:46 AM

^ I think if you have a bigger turbo then a quality SRI works great, on 08+ wrx's their intakes are quite a bit more restrictive then previous years "at least that's what I've been told by more then one tuner." I don't think a cold air intake is a very good choice, in my climate "very wet" you are likely to suck up some water, then you are in a lot of trouble. Plus in my opinion they won't cool the air charge any more then a short ram. Yes they pull in cooler air but by the time it's heated by the turbo I'm pretty sure the temp is about the same, that's what your intercooler is for. On a N/A car a CAI can do wonders for HP but that's a whole other ball of wax.