Intake or Drop in AEM filter - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 06-07-2013, 12:52 PM
Vendor

PROImportTuners is more helpful than not
^That is a good point.

I have used short ram style intakes before without re-tuning. They can allow additional airflow, however as long as the MAF sensor is located in a correctly calibrated housing the ECU can still accurately "read" how much air is entering the engine and compensate for it up to a certain point.

Obviously a correct re-tune is best for performance with any type of mod, but many people use short ram style intakes without re-tuning.
TOOQIKK likes this.

PRO Import Tuners
http://www.proimporttuners.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 06-07-2013, 01:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

richietables is an unknown
I've run a K&N drop in on my my '05 WRX and my wife's '05 Legacy since the OEM filters needed replacing, so maybe 6-7 years on each. No change in performance good or bad. I also run a K&N on the top of my old Malibu's 283. That makes the car run a bit more freely.

Not making a statement about what others should do. I was warned away from the K&N CAI on this forum for use without a tune and heeded the warning.

My 2 cents...

Rich
2005 WRX Wagon (1st owner)
1965 Malibu Convertible
2009 Corvette Coupe (Silver)
#18 Old 06-07-2013, 02:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
K&N CAI is fine without a tune.
#19 Old 06-07-2013, 02:22 PM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
Anybody notice how many different opinions there are in this thread...lol!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#20 Old 06-07-2013, 03:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Well, the K&N is among a select few that we've known for a few years is ok.
#21 Old 06-07-2013, 03:39 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
I wouldn't get anything until you're upgraded enough to need it. You aren't going to notice a difference performance wise other than the looks.

The only reason I went with a short ram intake was because my FMIC piping did not allow for the factory intake box.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#22 Old 06-08-2013, 07:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

bullet85 is an unknown
Hmmmmm.....so back to a drop in filter.....Will the Perrin drop in filter be ok in my stock airbox with no tune?

Im not gonna tune my car just yet or put on a intake....
#23 Old 06-08-2013, 07:30 AM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
Literally FOL!!

A drop in isn't gonna work for you though Bullet. Yours is good till like 300whp anyways.

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#24 Old 06-08-2013, 10:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet85 View Post
Hmmmmm.....so back to a drop in filter.....Will the Perrin drop in filter be ok in my stock airbox with no tune?

Im not gonna tune my car just yet or put on a intake....
Foam filters are the worst possibly thing you could put on your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the RIOT act View Post
Literally FOL!!

A drop in isn't gonna work for you though Bullet. Yours is good till like 300whp anyways.

Good till =/= Ideal
#25 Old 06-26-2013, 07:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

YASLIPN is an unknown
Just removed my K-N drop in filter after a month of trying it out in my 2013 WRX. I definitely recommend a tune if you are going to change out the factory filter. I am not ready for a tune due to warranty, so I put the factory air filter back in. I did notice the exhaust tips were filthy (probably running to lean) and the car didn't seem as spunky off the throttle at lower rpm's like it is with the factory filter. I did not change the type or brand of fuel I use and temperature has been steady 75-85 degrees throughout the past two months. I hope this helps.
#26 Old 06-26-2013, 08:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

NeverSummer is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by YASLIPN View Post
Just removed my K-N drop in filter after a month of trying it out in my 2013 WRX. I definitely recommend a tune if you are going to change out the factory filter. I am not ready for a tune due to warranty, so I put the factory air filter back in. I did notice the exhaust tips were filthy (probably running to lean) and the car didn't seem as spunky off the throttle at lower rpm's like it is with the factory filter. I did not change the type or brand of fuel I use and temperature has been steady 75-85 degrees throughout the past two months. I hope this helps.
Take off your panties and lose the stock tune! Stock tune is lethal! Cobb ap stage 1 flash you'll be a lot safer then the stock tune.

#27 Old 06-27-2013, 02:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by YASLIPN View Post
Well,

This is MY take and only that. But the exhaust being dirtier than normal is a rich condition, not a lean condition.... BUT it is dependent on WOT pulls and the way you drive. Without any data or logs.... that's a shot in the dark.

Also want to add that humidity plays a large part as well.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#28 Old 06-27-2013, 05:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

General-Leo is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
I can understand that.

The car already runs pig rich up top where the filter element has the largest impact.... I don't see it being THAT big of a difference.... Anyone have logs for an 08-13 WRX/STi with OEM filter and a drop in? Same day and or temp would REALLY be useful.
While I don't have logs, I can tell you that you def need to tune for a drop in filter for the 08+ WRX. I recently put a K&N drop in filter in mine with no tune and noticed that the power was lacking a little. But thats not the issue that concerned me, the idle was quite a bit lower there were a few times it tried to stall sitting at a stop light (Not taking off in first gear, just sitting there!) terrible gas mileage I normaly run around 21-20mpg, I could not get it above 17.0 mpg with the filter in and it caused a check engine light after a few days!!!
As an aftermarket intake should only be getting more air into the engine I assume that the problem would only be worse with an aftermarket.

Long story short get a tune if you mess with your intake.
#29 Old 06-27-2013, 08:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Wonder if Suby leaned the 08+'s out a bit to get a bit more power. Not certain... but good advice either way Leo

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#30 Old 06-27-2013, 04:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

General-Leo is more helpful than not
I don't know a lot, but I try to help out where I can. haha