i want 300whp, what more to do?? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 09-05-2009, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
i want 300whp, what more to do??

after reading the car and driver 09 wrx upgrades, it looks like with a full 3" system, CAI, COBB AP and a protune they made like 270hp and 290 something tq. im gonna go to that dyno because its close so no worries on different readings. temp and all that of course could change but im not gonna knit pick, just using round numbers.

why did they only do 270hp? was the turbo maxed out? can it only handle the 18psi the COBB stage 2 gives it? are the injectors maxed out? is the fuel pump maxed out? will an intercooler help?

im hoping its the fuel cause there cheap. bigger turbo and intercool will suck to buy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 09-05-2009, 09:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
you wont need a bigger turbo to hit 300whp...but you would probably want to invest in a new TMIC. The stock unit will probably benefit from being replaced, and the fuel system can hold 300whp. those number seem a little low to me though..
post #3 of 28 Old 09-05-2009, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booosted09 View Post
you wont need a bigger turbo to hit 300whp...but you would probably want to invest in a new TMIC. The stock unit will probably benefit from being replaced, and the fuel system can hold 300whp. those number seem a little low to me though..
really? seems like great power gains to me over stock. i havnt seen stock dyno hp yet but i think its like 210-220. so 60-50hp gains seams amazing! and if stock is 14psi only going to 18psi is 15hp per pound which is spot on if not more. thought good rule of thumb was 10-12hp for ever pound. if what you say is true then i just need to go to protune and say boost and tune for 20psi and ill hit 300.
post #4 of 28 Old 09-05-2009, 09:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
Maybe some headers as well will help you get there. Then again it will be close to maxing out your injectors and fuel pump.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
post #5 of 28 Old 09-05-2009, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baller_v24 View Post
Maybe some headers as well will help you get there. Then again it will be close to maxing out your injectors and fuel pump.
see thats what im trying to find out. if Cobbs stage 2 only boosts to 18psi there must be a reason. fuel or turbo. now if im not mistaken a STI has the same turbo so it cant be that as they have a 2.5 motor also. it has to be fuel. they must have bigger injectors or pump. im thinkin i could go to 20psi with one or both and be set.
post #6 of 28 Old 09-05-2009, 11:13 PM
Suspended

Boost Addict is more helpful than not
Hope this clears a few things up.

Your fuel system is at 95% idc (injector duty cycle) at 6000 RPM in 4th when you're pushing a peak of 18 psi. You may not hit 300 whp because of the dyno you're on. I'm tuned on a dynapack which reads power at the hubs, not after the wheels, so results are always a little higher.

I strongly suggest 750cc injectors and a Walbro 255lph fuel pump. The injectors can be bought from deatschwerks and they will even credit you money for sending back your stockers. You're looking at a low buy-in for this route. However, once you're tuned, your fuel system will be far more reliable and last longer due to being under less stress, assuming you target for the same boost levels.

I'm going to go with an Equal Length Header and Uppipe before I retune with my injectors and pump. On the dynapack we tune on, we're going to target 20 psi peak and are expecting at least a 25 whp gain. So we should easily be right around 330whp on the vf52.

* Oh, and I forgot to add that we're also running a K&N Typhoon, PERRIN Inlet, and PERRIN TMIC. However, if you're planning on a TMIC upgrade, you're better off expecting longevity over more power. The stock unit does a decent job of keeping things cool once rolling, the issue is that plastic end tanks that are prone to leaking with consistent use over 17 psi.
post #7 of 28 Old 09-05-2009, 11:17 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
To put it into perspective on my 07 at 17.5 PSI, stock turbo, intercooler, fuel system, Cobb TBE and SRI I was at about 220 AWHP. With my 20G, supporting mods, and 20 PSI almost 330 AWHP. Only 2 more PSI, but 110 HP?? Its the mods, the tune and the turbo. Your stock fuel system will not get you much past the 270 HP mark without maxing them out. Let alone your small IC. You need to upgrade those also. Changing out the IC might get you a little closer, but Im sure that the stock injectors will be maxed out.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #8 of 28 Old 09-06-2009, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

awsome!! thats all i need to hear!! just a list for you then and FYI for me. Invadia catless 3" full system, injen CAI (filter in wheel well), Cobb AP, protune, AVO or perrin intercooler, 750cc injectors and 255 fuel pump, whatever the psi may end up being i should get to 300awhp AND have a pretty reliable car and see no real problems from getting to A and B with a smile on my face for a long time to come????

and since everyone is looking, we all agree 750cc is the right size?
post #9 of 28 Old 09-06-2009, 02:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
It will work, but if you're only going for 300 on stock turbo then 650cc will work. I personally wouldn't because if you decide to upgrade your turbo down the line, you will have sufficient injectors.

WRX Fuel injector sizing guide STi Fuel injector sizing guide Lgt fuel injector sizing guide, JSC Speed

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
post #10 of 28 Old 09-06-2009, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

hey boost i just spent time reading your post on your car and have a few questions. the invadia down pipe was that your problem or not? should i just cut down the divider as soon as i get it? also, 750cc does seem large when your at 303 with stock injectors and fuel pump. i get the idea though to keep the strain off the stock parts.

Last edited by synolimit; 09-06-2009 at 01:53 PM.
post #11 of 28 Old 09-06-2009, 12:23 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Stick with 750cc injectors. They will even support up to the 20G. Im running 850cc and its a bit overkill. My gas mileage suffers because of it some, but its alrite, Im planning on more power eventually so the headroom will come in handy.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #12 of 28 Old 09-06-2009, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
Stick with 750cc injectors. They will even support up to the 20G. Im running 850cc and its a bit overkill. My gas mileage suffers because of it some, but its alrite, Im planning on more power eventually so the headroom will come in handy.
see i still want a good daily driver and good gas milage. thats why i was hoping to stay with stock or maybe go to 650cc so the stock 540cc (i think) are not stressed out. i know thats gonna be it for the motor, no upgrades down the road
post #13 of 28 Old 09-06-2009, 02:26 PM

If you dont plan on going bigger, the 650s are good. But if you go past the stock turbo and into the 18G or 20G range, 750cc would be the way i would go.

The only time my gas mileage suffers (which is daily for me) is stop and go traffic. If I can go on long stretches of freeway I get great gas mileage. I went to Seattle and back yesterday with my family, a little over 80 miles and didnt even use a quarter tank.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #14 of 28 Old 09-06-2009, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

well ill go 650cc then. do i need the fuel pump then?

i no im not gonna spend the money for a turbo and i just want simple bolt ons. god forbid something happens and need to take it to the stealership i cant unbolt the aftermart stuff in a weekend and show up looking bone stock. plus i only wanna keep it for a 2 maybe 3 years so when im done i can sell the parts and sell the car stock.

FYI motors not my only concern. i am doing sport springs, track sway bars and end links front and rear and short shifter.
post #15 of 28 Old 09-06-2009, 05:19 PM

Yes you will also need the fuel pump, look around for them. They can be had for around $80 or $90.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement