I need your help - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-11-2010, 12:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

PdxRex is an unknown
I need your help

So the time has come for me to FINALLY get my exhaust (SPT CBE), I have talked withmy local reputable shop and the first guy shop NO problem easy install 45$ should take about 30 minutes. So here is where I am stumped I called ten minutes ago to schedule an appointment for today, talked with a different guy, he askes the usual questions, make model etc. He then proceeds to tell me that he DOES not recommend me putting on the exhaust but to get an AP since 09's Wrx run lean (wich we all know). He kept emphasizing not to put them exhaust on then he mentions engines could blow. But he is selling Cobb AP's from 695$ to 595$. I am stuck can someone help me resolve this, it was a huge bummer for me too hear that sonce I could not wait too get too the shop and hear my Rex purrr. The I asked his the big question, well dealerships can see if you have been tuned with an AP, he said "there is no way they can see it, only if you are an idiot and leave your AP out in the open". Can someone shed light on that one for me? My day is now ruined and I am all pissed off now. Sorry had to vent a little, but please your help is needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-11-2010, 01:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
You don't need a tune or an AP to install a catback exhaust. It is advisable to replace the factory tune with a custom tune or a well tested stage 1 tune as the factory tune does tend to run lean under certain conditions, but this is totally independent of your CBE setup.

Basically, if you want a CBE installed you aren't going to hurt anything. If you install an aftermarket downpipe or full TBE you will need an accessport, tune, or some other form of engine management.

Whether a dealer could detect a non-factory tune depends entirely on their level of commitment to not performing warranty work. They could compare your ECU settings to stock settings and see differences, but I doubt they would do this unless their was some obvious signs that you had tampered with the ECU settings. Also, if you are worried about it you can save your stock tune and flash back before going in for warranty work (I use open source, I have no idea if a Cobb AP will let you save and flash non-Cobb tunes).

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
#3 Old 02-11-2010, 01:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

PdxRex is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisiX View Post
You don't need a tune or an AP to install a catback exhaust. It is advisable to replace the factory tune with a custom tune or a well tested stage 1 tune as the factory tune does tend to run lean under certain conditions, but this is totally independent of your CBE setup.

Basically, if you want a CBE installed you aren't going to hurt anything. If you install an aftermarket downpipe or full TBE you will need an accessport, tune, or some other form of engine management.

Whether a dealer could detect a non-factory tune depends entirely on their level of commitment to not performing warranty work.

Thank you for the clarification, makes me feel better!! My plan is too get to stage II (eventually) just need to put some more miles on her (warranty). Thank you again!!!!!!!
#4 Old 02-11-2010, 01:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Sounds like the guy at the shop is an idiot... Like VisiX said, you're fine.

-Chris
#5 Old 02-11-2010, 04:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Un-marrying the AP will put the stock flash back on. Just so you know. Someone once said even un-married the Cobb AP leaves a few traces. But, the Dealer would have to really be snooping in the check sums to see that. In short...

CBE with no tune is fine
AP stage 1 flash with or with out CBE is fine.

Do which ever you want first. But, make sure you can flash a stage 2 tune once the DP is on.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#6 Old 02-11-2010, 05:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
^ great advice

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#7 Old 02-11-2010, 05:44 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
If they are selling APs, dont let them charge you $695. Cobb has officially dropped their prices on APs to $595 for all subarus. The lucky Infinitis and Hondas were dropped all the way down to $495.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#8 Old 02-11-2010, 06:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I was told by a Suby tech a while back they can see that it has been (re)flashed but with what, they cannot tell. Even the Mazda Tech was giving me hell about the flashing I had done.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3