Subaru WRX Forum banner

I'm Thinking EWG

29K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  RcrsWetDream 
#1 · (Edited)
Bring it on.

I rode in my tuner's STi with an external wastegate setup, and I'm in love. Yes, it's loud, but really only when you get on it. I also love the way it sounded. Another reason I see to get it is much better boost response and the potential power gains over in IWG setup.

I'd probably get the Grimmspeed EWG Up-pipe/TIAL 38 mm gate. Plumbing it back into the dp is an option if the sound becomes annoying after the "honeymoon" phase after the install.

Let me hear your opinions/reasons not to/reasons to go for it. All in all it would be about 700 dollars.

#2 ·
i am! no better bolt on as ive had it before! this time with the 38mm in a v-band the damn thing wont keep falling off. yes the old style needed a better design, safty wire was needed. im not sure about the water cooling though. you dont have to hook it up but its there if you want to.

#3 ·
It's only 700 because you're using an illegal dump tube. It should fail inspection and it's also extremely loud. If you want to do an EWG properly, it's more money. It can be routed back to the downpipe though, you just have to pay for some custom piping.

#4 ·
Yeah I figured around $100 or so to have an exhaust shop tie the dump pipe into my downpipe. My buddy also has a welder and I've welded quite a bit so I could even do it for material cost myself.

Parts list:

All from GrimmSpeed

Ceramic Coated EWG Up-Pipe - $350
Gaskets - $30
IWG Bracket - Included in Package Price (need to confirm fitment on VF52)
Tial 38mm Wastegate 1.0 bar spring - $260
---------------------------------------------------
Total - $640.95

Add in the potential cost of routing it back into the DP and I'm still sitting at $750-800, so it doesn't seem to be too costly of a mod for what you get.

#6 ·
im trying to save as much as possible. ebay has the Tial for $250 shipped and UP for $289 shipped with everything GS gives you. not sure on the heat paint though. i no someone will say dont go ebay, but i buy almost everything from there. you cant really copy a Tial 38mm v-band or the awesomness of GS UP. it would be pretty easy to spot a fake.

#7 ·
Turns out my tuner has a Grimmspeed account... I can get all the stuff listed above for less than 640. He's not sure how much as he would have to order it, but most likely under 600.

He also says ewg's are worth it. The 38mm Tial comes with a 1.0 bar spring so it won't even open up until I'm at about 14.5 psi, aka nice and quiet during normal driving.

#8 ·
I've had this done (recirculated EWG). They charged me $200 IIRC. I got it done at Harman Motive. I went to a few places actually, but of the ~4 places I went only Harman Motive was willing to do it.

If I were to do it all over again I would definitely not buy a Grimmspeed uppipe.

#10 ·
Ewg?

I just got a GS UP/tial 38mm EWG setup when i dropped my vf43 in there a few months back...i absolutely love it...with the 1bar spring you wont pop the wastegate under normal driving conditions. Put your foot down hard and you feel the extra pull as the turbo spools quickly and efficiently without turbulence, also you can maintain higher boost levels further into the RPM band... hope this helps!!!

#11 ·
So far nobody has told me not to and the people that have done them love the setup...

Looks like I'm going to jump for it. Like I said before, my tuner is a vendor for GS and he can get it to me for a good price, off the top of his head he said 600 shipped for about 640 worth of stuff. Hopefully a bit less but it still saves me some cash. He is also going to tune me for free as he basically made me pay him once and it's a lifetime service :) It shouldn't be too much extra work to tune for the external gate though, probably mostly wgdc's followed by some boost and fueling changes if the IDC's get too high after seeing boost higher into the rpm range.

At least until I go with a full build and a big @$$ rotated kit, then he might charge me for that one ;)

Due to my pesky savings plan and not my "just throw it on the credit card plan" I won't be ready to purchase until June 1, then I'll go ahead and order and hopefully get it setup pretty quick. Install shouldn't be much worse than your standard up-pipe install and then clamping on the ewg, blocking off the stock iwg, and then re-running my ebcs lines to the new location. Probably still going to be a solid afternoon install though.

#12 ·
If you can stand the sound for only a slight spool increase and minimum HP increase then do it. But, 600-700 dollars can buy a lot more than being rediculously loud at WOT. Plumbing it back into the exhaust would probably make it a lot more sane for other drivers and passengers.

Its something I can not personally stand, but to each their own.

#14 ·
When did you get the gs setup? I did hear the early ones were a bit off in terms of fitment and quality, but have improved since then. The main issue being the dump tube clearance on the axle.

My experience with gs has been nothing but good, including fitment.

Also, turmic, I can't comment on the the mod being worth it, but everybody I talk to ranks it as one of their best mods. From what I hear gains are all but minimal, and moving the whole powerband to the left while still having near full-boost all the way to redline is pretty sweet. Granted my injectors may be able to hold me back if we can push a good amount of boost to 7k rpm's. Add in the fact that it will only add more sound once I'm pushing over 14.5 or so psi, I'm not worried about it getting annoying.

I also might be able to get some used parts from a guy and do the whole setup for about 400, including thermal coating and heat wrapping the pipe. That would make it much more cost effective.

#15 ·
Ewg's are great but not perfect. Just because it has a 1 bar spring doesn't mean it wont open slightly before that pressure. It's definitely more responsive than an internal.

I had 4 different EWG setups on my last car which had a honda k24 (2.4l) enigne
First I started with a 2.5DP the EWG recirced about 18" after the turbo.
Next I upgraded to a 3" DP and dumped the EWG (way too loud with about a 2' dump)
Then I added a home made muffler to the dump tube (loud but much better and ran really good)
Lastly I made an entirely new exhaust system 3" DP to a 3.25" section where the 2" EWG pipe came in at about a 30degree angle and was about 3' feet back from the turbo. From there it went to a 3" vibrant flex then to a 3" straight thru muffler. all the tubing was 3.25.

The last was by far the best setup, It was not quiet but was not annoying like the dumped EWG, and there wasn't the normal loss of power associated with recirc. You could still hear it but it actually sounds good. That car sounded like a dumptruck with the gt3076r. As far as lag mine was essentially non existant, Boost from 2000rpm all the way to 7000, and no falloff at the higher rpms.

As far as EWG flange choice, V-band all the way!

#16 ·
I've pretty much made up my mind that I'm going for it. Here's the list:

GrimmSpeed External Wastegate Up Pipe w/ Dump Tube 38mm V-Band WRX/STI/LGT/FXT
- Black Ceramic Thermal Coating
- Gasket: Manifold>Up Pipe 2x Thick
- Gasket: Up Pipe>Turbo
- IWG Bracket VF Series: STi '04-'10
- Tial 38mm Wastegate
- Tial Spring 1.0 Bar

GrimmSpeed Subaru Exhaust Manifold to Crosspipe Gasket(pair)2X THICK

GrimmSpeed Subaru Exhaust Manifold to Head Gasket(pair) – Dual Port

My tuner is getting a price from GS right now, and we'll see what he comes back with. The price on the website is $683 for everything, hopefully he can save me some decent cash.

#17 ·
Well order placed... Got a pretty solid deal on it too.

I added a couple things to the list- exhaust wrap and heat spray, a dp-turbo gasket just in case, took the crosspipe gasket off the list and still paid only $617. I think if I ordered right from GS it would have been close to $730.

Everything should be coming sometime mid-week, and install will be Friday night/Saturday followed by a Saturday evening retune.!Thumbs Up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.