How much power can a 2.5 take? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-13-2010, 02:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

Ducks is an unknown
How much power can a 2.5 take?

I currently have an 08 sti making 300whp on 21psi and i have been thinking of stepping up to a 18-20g and or moving toward E85. I was hoping to make around 350whp on E85 and if i get a bigger turbo shoot for 380-400WHP. I was wondering how much power and for how long a non-built motor can handle? I was hoping i woundt have to have a built motor for only 350range but if i do i would rather spend money toward that before anything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-13-2010, 02:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
I'd be reluctant to pass 375 whp. A 20G doesn't need E85 to hit 350.
#3 Old 09-14-2010, 03:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

anxiouz is an unknown
Having had both STIs and Evos, I've always felt that 350whp on a 300hp (crank) engine is safe long-term. Once you start closing in on 400whp I think the chance for random failures goes way way up.

If you're making 300whp on 91(?) octane now, with just E85 and a tune (and supporting mods of course...injectors, fuel pump, etc.) you should gain 50whp. So just by changing your fuel you should reach your goal. If you're on 93 you should still get close.

In my Evo now I have really conservative tunes ### she's so old (112k miles) but on the 91 tune I'm around 310whp, on E85 I'm around 360whp. Same boost (21psi) for both, but the car can safely handle 26-27psi on E85 so that brings me just shy of 400whp. Reliable at that level? So far...but I don't want to push it at this point.
#4 Old 09-15-2010, 11:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

black beast2 is an unknown
I dont have an sti but mine took a sh** around 80,000 running over 300whp for atleast 50,000 and around 350whp towards the end and I drive fairly hard I would say....O yeah no tranny issues what so ever besides the 2 clutch replacements"with 80,000 miles since feb. of 08 I dont think that is to unresonable".
#5 Old 09-15-2010, 11:12 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
And apparently you drive alot....80,xxx on an 08. I have an 07 with only 34,xxx on the clock (granted i have/am deployed; total of 27 months of owning the car).

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#6 Old 09-16-2010, 01:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
I've got an 02 with 92K on the chassis

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#7 Old 09-16-2010, 02:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I'll probably be pushing 30-33k by the time I hit two years.

-Chris
#8 Old 09-16-2010, 09:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
68k on a 06. Long drive to work...gah!

Like usual...350 will last for a while. Push it hard and/or for a while and it will fail. Most likely a ring before all out piston failure, but the aluminum silica pistons just are not ment to take that much abuse. The Evos come with better pistons from the factory than the STIs, but even still... A lot of evo owners do engine builds at higher horsepower levels. Weither it be for stroking or trying to do head/cam work for higher revs.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#9 Old 09-17-2010, 08:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Didn't you get an engine built by Ron at raw?

Appparently he skipped town... Lots o' drama on Nasioc about it....

Axis/Raw Performance customers....... - NASIOC

It gets good towards the end.

/hijack.

-Chris
#10 Old 09-17-2010, 10:10 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
For some reason I can get into nasioc (even through your link Chris) but this is an email I got from Ron yesterday when I emailed him about an engine:
"hey its ron
im sorry but everyone is gonna get the same return email i only have use of my left arm and hand and i have over 600 emails in my inbox
if u have not heard i crashed a car in eastern czech rep and was hurt pretty bad im not sure whats going to happen from here on out but my wife colleen is coming here on sept 3rd to try and help me with everything
if you recently sent me an email looking for an engine or parts sorry at this time its just not possible
if you emailed me asking about your current build its probably in the same state it was when i left for ukraine at the start of the month sean is no longer with the company and i have no idea what he completed or did not complete in my absence all new stg 2 block orders should have been shipped or so sean told me he shipped them all all other orders are in the works
as of today sunday aug 29th im not sure when i will be back friday i had a follow up with the doctor and he said all was good so i was making plans to come home sept 16th last night my right ankle got as big as a basketball and turned purple im now back at the hospital and waiting for the doctor to tell me what they are gonna do
if you are waiting on your parts or engine to be completed i can not give you any updates until i get home and see what sean did or didnt do that may not be what you wanted but its what i can give right now and im really very sorry for any inconvenience its going to cause
if you cant wait and want a refund i can try and sort that out for you but im not sure what i can do over the phone or via internet if you paid by credit card i ran that through my paypal account and i cant login from here due to their security measures
i will update this again once i know whats going to happen
and again im very sorry for any issues this is gonna cause but its all i can do at this moment from here
ron"

So idk what the deal is. Guess time to start shopping for another engine builder.

****EDIT****
Finally got into this thread...HOLLY F*ING SH!T man. Thats insane if that stuff is true abotu what he did. Sorry for the thread jack, but WOW

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"

Last edited by newtothegame; 09-17-2010 at 11:46 AM.
#11 Old 09-17-2010, 09:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
I have to read it. But, that sucks to hear that he got in a bad car accident. Let me read it....

EDIT: I can't sit here and read all 13 pages right now. But, the flame game is fully open over there. I've never had a bad interaction with him. Quick e-mail responce and excellant information/feedback. Chad said my Stage 3 block is the smoothest idleing shortblock he's heard from ron that has forged pistons. After warm up....you can hardly tell my car is running CPs. Shoaf will back up ron's work. He's only broken ron's engines from what he did to them....not what ron did to the engine. Its a damn shame that he is hurt or fled the country for tax evasion purposes. Probably 8-9 pages of those responces are probably full of positive feedback on him and his work.

Well, Cosworth or crawford engines it is....if ron is truely gone.

Still thread jacking...sorry

Kirt
#12 Old 09-17-2010, 11:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
I heard about the accident, but wow. And he was the BEST at what he did.
#13 Old 09-18-2010, 09:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

Don't believe everything you hear over on nasioc...It gets real juevenile real quick over there. It is a shame either way though.

EDIT:

Holy crap....say it isn't so. IF...IF....the rumors are true. I read the whole thread.

Update

Josh I got the same responce through e-mail. The good news is that Sean, apprantly Ron's co-worker of 5 years is stepping up, and will continue to do all the same work as he did under Ron.
Thank God a positive at least. He's going to start a new business and put up a new website soon. He can be e-mailed at: protege503@hotmail.com

Kirt

Last edited by turmic; 09-19-2010 at 09:52 AM.