High flow cat - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-28-2010, 08:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

tonyturbo13 is an unknown
High flow cat

Anyone running a high flow cat with a catback exhaust on 08+ WRX's? Is so, any issues, CEL's, etc? Tune required? I'm getting the Invidia Q300 catback exhaust on my 09 WRX sedan and was wondering the pros and cons of adding a high flow cat while I was at it. Any info will be great! Thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-28-2010, 08:50 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Just like stock. Only thing that will change is the note/sound of the exhaust. I have heard of the newer WRXs getting some power, but not really needing a tune for it.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#3 Old 10-28-2010, 08:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

nice...considering that the Invidia Q300 is a little quieter than some of the others out there, this might be a good option for me...thanks for the info...
#4 Old 10-28-2010, 09:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

Mr. Logger is an unknown
Tony, are you looking at the dual outlet Q300? I'm looking at getting that one myself. Just wondering where you're getting it from.

'99 Mountaineer
'09 WRX
#5 Old 10-28-2010, 09:16 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Heard nice things about the invidia on older cars, never heard it in person. But its ranked high for one of the quieter exhausts.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#6 Old 10-28-2010, 09:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

Mr. Logger is an unknown
That's what I like about it. Not too loud.

'99 Mountaineer
'09 WRX
#7 Old 10-28-2010, 09:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

Yup, I'm going with the Q300 dual exhaust. I've been debating for a while now, researching and listening to different sound clips and videos. My first pick was the Turbo XS one but it was on back order everywhere I called. Invidia had good reviews in terms of quality and sound and reasonable pricing. Not too loud but noticeable. I'm thinking the high flow cat will give it a little deeper growl...
#8 Old 10-28-2010, 09:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Logger View Post
Tony, are you looking at the dual outlet Q300? I'm looking at getting that one myself. Just wondering where you're getting it from.
I ordered it from here...

Racing & Performance Auto Parts 350Z | S2000 | GT-R | WRX STI | EVO X Parts
#9 Old 10-29-2010, 10:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Don't bother. Putting a high flow cat on the back end of the 2-piece stock DP will just be a waste of money (still have one more oem cat in front of it). If anything just save up for a catted downpipe (450-500) and get tuned and be happy.

-Chris
#10 Old 10-29-2010, 11:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
Don't bother. Putting a high flow cat on the back end of the 2-piece stock DP will just be a waste of money (still have one more oem cat in front of it). If anything just save up for a catted downpipe (450-500) and get tuned and be happy.
Yeah, I'll be upgrading the stock downpipe and getting a tune for sure. No time soon though. Thanks for the info.
#11 Old 11-05-2010, 05:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

UPDATE

The exhaust system was delivered yesterday evening and I got it installed this morning. The fit was perfect. No modification was required, it is a true bolt-on exhaust system. I was impressed with this exhaust system's quality. The sound is nice, not too loud but nice and deep. I know this will change once I swap downpipes. I'm looking at going with either the Perrin downpipe or the Invidia one. Not sure if going catted or uncatted yet. Suggestions? Here are some pics of the exhaust on the car...

Last edited by tonyturbo13; 11-05-2010 at 05:57 PM. Reason: word misspelled
#12 Old 11-05-2010, 07:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

anxiouz is an unknown
Looks real nice. Personally I decided to go Perrin HFC downpipe + Perrin cat-back. So if you're looking at dp's then I would recommend Perrin.

But to your original question of the HFC in general. The only real difference is related to smogging the car. I think the Perrin is a 200cel cat whereas stock cats are usually like 600cel. So it's much less restrictive but with mild mods the difference is usually negligable. Here in CA things are strict so at least on my Evo 8 I can't pass smog with a HFC. But all you need to do is swap the stock dp back in before smogging and your fine. But I think Subies can pass smog with a HFC dp so it's a lil different.

Steve ... '11 WRX H/B ... Perrin Stage 2
#13 Old 11-05-2010, 08:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
you live in FL...go catless!!

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#14 Old 11-05-2010, 10:21 PM

Looks good. If you can get away with going catless, its alrite. Its usually cheaper for a catless DP. But HP wise, the numbers are near neglible until you are trying to squeeze every last little bit of HP out of your setup.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#15 Old 11-05-2010, 11:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by anxiouz View Post
Looks real nice. Personally I decided to go Perrin HFC downpipe + Perrin cat-back. So if you're looking at dp's then I would recommend Perrin.

But to your original question of the HFC in general. The only real difference is related to smogging the car. I think the Perrin is a 200cel cat whereas stock cats are usually like 600cel. So it's much less restrictive but with mild mods the difference is usually negligable. Here in CA things are strict so at least on my Evo 8 I can't pass smog with a HFC. But all you need to do is swap the stock dp back in before smogging and your fine. But I think Subies can pass smog with a HFC dp so it's a lil different.

Most Subies can pass the sniffer test with a HFC DP...but if the smog tech is going strictly by the book, any HFC DP (re: non-OEM DP) should fail the visual test (in CA).

@tonyturbo13: I like the look of those tips!

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"