Heat Shield Temp. Testing - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-15-2010, 12:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

GrimmSpeed is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to GrimmSpeed
Heat Shield Temp. Testing

Has anyone actually seen temp testing data from afermarket turbo heat shields? I've looked everywhere and couldnt find anything. We have a couple temp probes that we used during designing of our heatshield but i was thinking about doing some more robust testing so there is some good data out there. So many people out there run no heat shield on their car and we wanted to know the difference. Your thoughts??

In the following days we will be posting up the temp numbers we have at idle (obviously at operating temp) and cruising with cruise control at 60mph. There are multiple locations we have selected and soon enough we will have the results posted!!

Stay tuned.....

So here it is, after a long day of testing yesterday we are very pleased to bring you some really exciting results! To give you a little background these tests were done on a 2002 WRX with a 2.5l block with 2.0l heads and a VF39. STI TMIC, aftermarket downpipe, and Samco Throttle Body Coupler. All of the tests were performed in one day with the air temp @ 65 F. All temps have been recorded in F. Both IAT's for pre and post readings were measured INSIDE the pipes @ the connections. All numbers recorded are true to readings and have not been modified in any way, enjoy!

Now this graph shows the IAT's INSIDE the system at the Turbo Compressor Housing Exit (PRE) to the Throttle Body Coupler (POST)

So what have we concluded, well the data shows it all! The heat shield is in fact VERY effective at blocking heat from vital parts of the engine as well as keeping the IAT's SIGNIFICANTLY lower.

Will

GrimmSpeed

Last edited by GrimmSpeed; 09-16-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-15-2010, 02:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You going to be using several different kinds of plastics and metals ?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
#3 Old 09-15-2010, 02:59 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
I am very interested to see what you discover. I've wondered about the effectiveness of my own set-up. I used the OEM shield, tin-snipped to fit over the DP, and then covered it inside and out with DEI heat wrap fabric (the silver stuff, like turbo blankets) Never had a good pyrometer or anything to check it out.

Tell Justin that Cullen says hi, and keep up the great work. BTW my first design Grimmspeed high-flow crossover (no flex) still works and looks great. I had the engine out for my "body swap" this summer. I think I've been running it for 4 years (120K miles)

And now back to your originally scheduled heat shield thead......
#4 Old 09-15-2010, 03:07 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
I haven't seen one on these forums with specific temperature readings. Although I know back in the day Cosmo did post about heat soak and mentioning his findings, but never posted numbers.

What kind of probe setup do you plan on using?

EDIT: I just found a Fluke temp meter at work. If you let me know what you're trying to do, I can take some temps since this is kinda the stuff I'm interested in. Only downside is that the reactantance of this probe is terribly slow.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#5 Old 09-15-2010, 03:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

GrimmSpeed is an unknown
The multiple locations around the turbo/shield will be the intercooler, intake manifold runners, back near the AC line/fire wall, and on the strut tower nearing the BCS. We will post up a quality photo of what is all included, the units we use respond very fast and thankfully we have 2! Will do Cullen!

Will

GrimmSpeed
#6 Old 09-16-2010, 04:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

GrimmSpeed is an unknown
New Data posted!

Will

GrimmSpeed
#7 Old 09-16-2010, 06:23 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
That's great Will. I have always been a big advocate of controlling underhood temps, sometimes to the derision of those that think it's a waste of time. Those are very revealing numbers and I believe you should be able to make horsepower claims with them. I've seen, but don't recall figures that relate to that. Something like 2hp for every 10 degrees F. Do you happen to know ?
#8 Old 09-17-2010, 09:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

GrimmSpeed is an unknown
Those numbers sound close, but to be honest I cannot remember exactly. That is an interesting point though, if anybody is up to the hp test that would be awesome!

Will

GrimmSpeed
#9 Old 09-20-2010, 03:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

zippyrex is an unknown
This is why I'm beginning to love Grimmspeed.

I recently installed one of their 3-port solenoids, which solved a majorly elusive problem for me, and then this weekend, installed one of their heat shields. (I also heat-wrapped the DP and turbo at the same time.)

Why did I choose Grimmspeed? For the exact reason this thread exists, they seem genuinely interested in making great products that WORK. My experience so far is that they do just that.

(incidentally, when I pulled the downpipe to wrap it, I replaced my DP to turbo gasket with, what else? a Grimmspeed gasket...)

By the way, for anyone looking for a heat shield, the GS is top-notch (and no, I don't work for them). It's heavy duty and nicely made.
#10 Old 09-20-2010, 04:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

GrimmSpeed is an unknown
Hey man thank you, that means a lot! We are enthusiasts just like everyone else and we do not want to get jacked around, so we keep true to our roots and work to provide the best product/support we possibly can!

Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyrex View Post
This is why I'm beginning to love Grimmspeed.

I recently installed one of their 3-port solenoids, which solved a majorly elusive problem for me, and then this weekend, installed one of their heat shields. (I also heat-wrapped the DP and turbo at the same time.)

Why did I choose Grimmspeed? For the exact reason this thread exists, they seem genuinely interested in making great products that WORK. My experience so far is that they do just that.

(incidentally, when I pulled the downpipe to wrap it, I replaced my DP to turbo gasket with, what else? a Grimmspeed gasket...)

By the way, for anyone looking for a heat shield, the GS is top-notch (and no, I don't work for them). It's heavy duty and nicely made.

GrimmSpeed
#11 Old 09-20-2010, 11:03 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Im not trying to be a nay sayer. But have you tested with the stock heatshield? Im just wondering. A heat shield is one of those unnecessary parts I feel. I have been running my stock heat shield over my 20G and DP since I put the mods on. I have heard nothing but great things about you guys, and hope to one day be running several of your parts, but just something I was thinking about after reading this thread.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#12 Old 09-21-2010, 09:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

GrimmSpeed is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
Im not trying to be a nay sayer. But have you tested with the stock heatshield? Im just wondering. A heat shield is one of those unnecessary parts I feel. I have been running my stock heat shield over my 20G and DP since I put the mods on. I have heard nothing but great things about you guys, and hope to one day be running several of your parts, but just something I was thinking about after reading this thread.
We have not tested a stock heat shield as we would need a modified one to fit over the test car we have here. We do not have any stock ones here either to modify unfortunately.

I think that the data shows that a heatshield of any sort is definitely a worthwhile part to have, I would not say its pointless.

90% of the modding population does not run a heatshield for various reasons and our goal was to show that it is a really good idea to!

Will

GrimmSpeed
#13 Old 09-21-2010, 10:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
A lot of R&D at GS! Any EL header coming out?? I'll test!

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
#14 Old 09-21-2010, 01:12 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmSpeed View Post
We have not tested a stock heat shield as we would need a modified one to fit over the test car we have here. We do not have any stock ones here either to modify unfortunately.

I think that the data shows that a heatshield of any sort is definitely a worthwhile part to have, I would not say its pointless.

90% of the modding population does not run a heatshield for various reasons and our goal was to show that it is a really good idea to!

Will
Will thanks for the honest reply. I think I might have not fully detailed my previous response. I think a heatshield is good. But think it kind of silly to buy one if you have the factory one (and of course mod it to fit the purpose). Thanks again for the effort and research.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"