Grimmspeed v Crawford AOS - MY11 WRX - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-11-2012, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

adamreed is an unknown
Grimmspeed v Crawford AOS - MY11 WRX

Hi,

Quick question. I own an MY11 WRX (EJ25 block) with TBE and 17psi ECU tune. I want to install an air/oil separator and wondering which is the best one for the 2.5l blocks that are considered "heavy breathing". Any comments / feedback welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-11-2012, 03:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

thepants1337 is an unknown
I have heard a lot of good things about the grimmspeed AOS. Don't own one personally, just seems to have good reviews. Just my 2¢
post #3 of 8 Old 05-11-2012, 03:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
street only=GS

track+street= crawford.

if you wanna save some money i can sell you a crawford replica i make. its on you though to buy the $20 worth of hose and mount it high enough for the drain back to work. if you cant mount it high enough then just block off the return port and use it as a catch can that will need drained every now and again.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
post #4 of 8 Old 05-11-2012, 03:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Crawford hands down.

I've heard of too many issues with the GS one to bother with it. The crawford design is better anways, it allows a coolant line to run through it to equalize the temp inside the swirl pot to ensure the condensation stays condensation.

I actually have one on my list since going E85 and running 21psi I'm seeing more blow-by than when I was 93 at 18 psi.

-Chris
post #5 of 8 Old 05-11-2012, 05:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
Crawford hands down.

I've heard of too many issues with the GS one to bother with it. The crawford design is better anways, it allows a coolant line to run through it to equalize the temp inside the swirl pot to ensure the condensation stays condensation.

I actually have one on my list since going E85 and running 21psi I'm seeing more blow-by than when I was 93 at 18 psi.
its BS, the V2 does nothing. radiant heat coming from something that only gets as hot as 180* doesnt get hot enough to cook off the condensation. iwsti has a thread on it, lot of pissed off guys wanting a solution but for me the regular version works fine.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
post #6 of 8 Old 05-11-2012, 09:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
Crawford hands down.

What issues would that be? I have one installed on my car and I can't complain about mine at all.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #7 of 8 Old 05-13-2012, 10:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I'd like to see the thread syno, to me a difference in temp means a potential for condensed gas to turn back into fluid. If that coolant line keeps the temp in the AOS warmer than one without it I can see that being a benefit.

Kurt, it looks like it's during more aggressive driving, even to the point where they end up blowing oil from the AOS into the intake. I think it's more of an issue that they managed to slosh oil all the way up the filler neck and it got sucked back into the intake.

-Chris
post #8 of 8 Old 05-13-2012, 10:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Gotcha, I can see that happening. But, I'm not tracking the car or anything. So, I should be fine.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae