GrimmSpeed 38mm EWG Up Pipe Kit - Page 3 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 43 Old 05-18-2010, 05:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
Gotcha, didn't realize there was a separate piece holding the boost tube to the throttle body, thought it was all one pice from the intercooler output to the tb.
it is one piece. im FMIC, so thats what i ment by boost tube. you dont have one. you just have the intercooler right to the TB.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 05-18-2010, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Easy enough. When you're tube kept leaking/blowing off what happened? Did you notice a lean idle if the car was left on?

-Chris
post #33 of 43 Old 05-18-2010, 05:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

lmao! when a 20psi boost tube blows off it sounds like a BOMB! scary as hell the first time. car wont drive either unless you unplug the MAF sensor. then you drive around like a NA impreza with no problems besides the check engine and limp mode.

yours cant blow off because you have the TMIC bracket and stuff right? if you leak you wont hit target boost. i believe the car should run "ok" the ECU should see your not hitting target boost so it should only be adding fuel for 16PSI, if it cant see it then i think you'd run rich because its thinking your hitting target boost but not all of the air is making into the motor. idk, either way you need to pressurize the system because only then can you search for true boost leaks and make sure the setup hits target boost.

post #34 of 43 Old 05-18-2010, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Well it's weird becuase it only runs like garbage at idle... I attribute that to the fact that the post intercooler piping still sees vacuum at idle, then boost later on. Either way the fact that it sucked the MAF cleaner in tells me it's the cause of my lean idle. Once you start driving fuel levels are fine, which I say is because there is less vacuum in the post turbo piping.

Hopefully this vacuum leak is also my boost leak. And hopefully I can get to it no problem, it just looks like hell to get to that throttle body.

-Chris
post #35 of 43 Old 05-18-2010, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

FIXED!

Turns out the hose running to the bpv from the intake manifold popped off at the manifold. Plugged it back in, idle is rock solid, the boost gauge works again, and no more compressor surge. I'm happy.

Now to wait for another date to retune for the EWG setup as last night was a bust.

-Chris
post #36 of 43 Old 05-18-2010, 09:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

that hose is on there so week. mine blew off there too when the boost tube blew off it took it with it first time. tuner put a zip tie on it.

post #37 of 43 Old 05-18-2010, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Yeah I have hose clamps on standby if it does it again. Should have put them on now and be done with it but we'll see.

-Chris
post #38 of 43 Old 05-18-2010, 10:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

rollertoaster is more helpful than not
glad to hear you got it fixed. I've seen my share of vacuum leaks. A good starting point, as you've figured out, is if it's mostly an idle problem look for vac leaks. If it's mid-high load problem, you have a pre-throttle leak.

Maf cleaner is great for vac leaks, but unless you have a huge pre-throttle leak a smoke tester or synolimits method works the best.
post #39 of 43 Old 06-05-2010, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Finally retuned

Forget what Jason's dyno said but from the spring pressure map we started with to the final pull we picked up about 30 hp/tq from that map (not as much as my earlier tune though). Overall the car for some reason doesn't feel as strong in first gear (although the wheels spin a bit). Then you get to second gear and it doesn't feel any slower than first, then third and good god it won't stop accelerating. Overall the ewg honestly makes the car feel a bit more scary in the upper powerband. I'll say the VE went up and that's why we were able to run more boost (about 3 psi over the previous tune). We did see 1.4* of timing pulled up top, so he pulled 2* in those areas and we're happy. Maybe summer gas helped out on knock prevention but it was pretty warm when we were tuning.

I'm waiting on my logs to say how spool has increased but lets say I hit 19psi by 3300, peak 21.39 psi a tiny bit later.

Can't be happier and kudos to Jason and Keith (tuner), and Justin/GrimmSpeed for an excellent product.

-Chris
post #40 of 43 Old 06-05-2010, 05:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

rollertoaster is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
Elipse/talon?
Haha, not even close.. It's an Awd Honda element. Not something anyone expects to have 400hp. It was faster than my wrx is, for now anyway.

Glad you got everything together, it looks good. What do you think of the sound?
post #41 of 43 Old 06-05-2010, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Man that like my second least favorite car. Still impressive though lol.

-Chris
post #42 of 43 Old 06-06-2010, 07:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

kyfi87 is an unknown
Congrats on getting everything up and running, sounds like its a pretty good deal!

As far as the Element, not particularly a big fan but MAD props for doing something different... and being awd
post #43 of 43 Old 06-06-2010, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Danke.

I'll take a tear up the local canyon and give the wife the video camera for some action shots. The wg is kinda pulsy so it doesn't sound like most videos. Best we can figure as there are no leaks of any kind is the bcs is doing it's job sending pulses of air to the wg to control the boost. It looks like I hit target boost just fine and it tapers as it should so I'm not worried. Wastegate just sounds a lot better on spring pressure that's for sure. I could probably fix the pulsing with a larger turbo though...

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement