GrimmSpeed 38mm EWG Up Pipe Kit - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 43 Old 05-15-2010, 01:05 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Chirs the whole setup looks nice. Im still kicking that idea around. Is there a way once all is said and done that you could post up your car running and doing some pulls with this new setup? BTW, nice DP

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 43 Old 05-15-2010, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Yep I'll take a video once I get tuned...

Right now just running spring pressure it opens up at about 13-14 psi and then holds steady at that. it only opens up when i want it to which is awesome, so daily driving isn't affected whatsoever. It definitely sounds cool though, a bit pulsy but I think that will be cleared up once we tune the ebcs to it. The routing of the boost lines is completely different from the previous setup, so I'm sure it has a bit to do with it.

-Chris
post #18 of 43 Old 05-17-2010, 01:46 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Im just considering my next step in my build. I dont have too much more to get for my car really now that the tranny is done. I do want to have a rather well rounded car and make my whole setup as effecient as possible. I had done my research once before on EWG, but now Im reconsidering it. And seeing this really makes me want to get it on my car (again lol). But good luck with your tune man.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #19 of 43 Old 05-17-2010, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I was convinced after riding in my tuner's STi.. He had the same kit I picked up and it was awesome to say the least.

The tune is set for tonight after work.. Hopefully it won't be more than a couple small tweaks. I'm gonna try and get him to shoot a video of a pull after the tune as well.

-Chris
post #20 of 43 Old 05-18-2010, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Well the tune was last night and I'm depressed... The sound that sounds like compressor surge seems to be some sort of boost leak... The car will only hit 16psi and taper to 10 by redline, whereas it should be holding that rock steady to redline.

Now this morning the car is idling rough and lean, so I'm guessing it's a boost/vacuum leak somewhere. I'll have to check my connections tonight after work, but does anybody have any ideas in advance?

-Chris
post #21 of 43 Old 05-18-2010, 09:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
Sorry to hear that man, good luck finding the leaks.

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
post #22 of 43 Old 05-18-2010, 12:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
ya go to lowes. get a 2" PVC end cap and a 15/32 drill bit. get a tire valve stem at a tire place and make it look like this. hope you have an extra coupling 2.75" by 2.75". put it on the inlet tube and start filling her up. leaks will sound like a high ass pitched...well a leak haha. your EVAP system will leak and start bleeding off air. that will sound totally different like a low whine or pressure leaking out of a big hollow metal thing. thats normal though, its supposed to leak. you'll hear leak before you hear the EVAP system start to bleed off.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
post #23 of 43 Old 05-18-2010, 01:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

and of course, worm clamp both ends of the device.

post #24 of 43 Old 05-18-2010, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

May have to try that out if spraying with maf cleaner doesn't find anything.

-Chris
post #25 of 43 Old 05-18-2010, 02:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
May have to try that out if spraying with maf cleaner doesn't find anything.
the amount of time it will take to spray everything, thats if enough spray even gets though holes that could be the size of a pin not to mention the hole could be shut at such little vacuum, you'd have this on and tested in half the time. spray testing doesnt work good anyways. you said you car wouldnt hit higher boost. that means you could have a BOOST leak. the only way to test a boost leak is to boost the system or apply 20-30psi of air into everything. you cant find that while the car is sitting at idle.

post #26 of 43 Old 05-18-2010, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Found a pretty sizeable leak at the intercooler-throttle body connetion (at the throttle body) just from spraying MAF cleaner in the area.. Engine revved up when I sprayed, waited a few seconds, did it again.

I'll start there tonight and see if that clears it up.

-Chris
post #27 of 43 Old 05-18-2010, 03:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Found a pretty sizeable leak at the intercooler-throttle body connetion (at the throttle body) just from spraying MAF cleaner in the area.. Engine revved up when I sprayed, waited a few seconds, did it again.

I'll start there tonight and see if that clears it up.
good luck. if you want advice take off the thin rubber piece that goes around the ends of that coupling. several of us have blown off the boost tube on are FMIC kits because that little slip makes it slip off. since your TMIC it wont blow off but it can leak. take it off, spray the inside with hair spray and get a really good worm clamp. the factory ones are junk and mine broke from tightening it 15 times in one day on the dyno. i couldnt do more then 1 run because it would slip and blow off on the second run. a month now i havnt had that rubber piece on and everywhere i go i havent had a problem yet.

post #28 of 43 Old 05-18-2010, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Is that thin rubber piece on the throttle body or the rubber tube?

Good advice on the hairspray, and the same thing happened at the intercooler connection, worm drive was stripped from taking the intercooler off too many times.

Is it hard to get at the connection since it's kind of under the intake manifold? I haven't really looked at the area before since it's never been an issue.

-Chris
post #29 of 43 Old 05-18-2010, 04:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Is that thin rubber piece on the throttle body or the rubber tube?

Good advice on the hairspray, and the same thing happened at the intercooler connection, worm drive was stripped from taking the intercooler off too many times.

Is it hard to get at the connection since it's kind of under the intake manifold? I haven't really looked at the area before since it's never been an issue.
the thin rubber piece's i should say on the TMIC to TB coupling. the one going to the TB kept blowing off. the one going to my boost tube was fine so i only took the TB one off.

not for me. i got a 1/8 socket and the clamp head is in between the two down chambers going to the drivers side TGV's and between the fuel lines. it looks hard but its not.

if it doesnt hold and keep leaking, AVO makes a more solid one piece for $70!!!

post #30 of 43 Old 05-18-2010, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Gotcha, didn't realize there was a separate piece holding the boost tube to the throttle body, thought it was all one pice from the intercooler output to the tb.

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement