GrimmSpeed 38mm EWG Up Pipe Kit - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 Old 05-11-2010, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
GrimmSpeed 38mm EWG Up Pipe Kit

I took the plunge....

GrimmSpeed EWG Up Pipe and dump tube with TiAL 38mm Vband wastegate. Everything is thermal coated black.

Pulling the car apart Friday night, EWG goes on Saturday morning. Retune is Saturday night.

I'll let you all know what the numbers show and what my impressions are. Hopefully I have enough injector to hold boost as high as this will let me! If not, fuel system is next on the list.

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 05-11-2010, 12:31 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
You using a dump tube now? Thought you were getting it plumed correctly.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #3 of 43 Old 05-11-2010, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I knew you would be the first to chime in lol.

Plumbing it back in cuts out a lot of the benefits of having an EWG (one of which is reducing turbulence and back pressure in the dp), and it really only opens up when I get on it, which is rare. I'll plumb it in if I get sick of hearing it when I do get on it; if not, it'll stay as a dump tube.

-Chris
post #4 of 43 Old 05-11-2010, 10:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I hope the coating will be cured before you install it. If you install the uppipe without curing the coating first it will flake off like crazy.
post #5 of 43 Old 05-11-2010, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I'm coating it withe the silicon heat spray tonight and I'm going to bake it on my grill at 400*. Once that's done it should minimize the smoking when they're installed.

-Chris
post #6 of 43 Old 05-11-2010, 12:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
wait im confused. so its gonna go metal pipe, GS black coating, your heat wrap then more spray over everything? or did i miss something? you really dont like heat do you?

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
post #7 of 43 Old 05-11-2010, 03:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I didn't see any mods listed in your profile and I can't remember - what kind of intake setup do you have? Aren't you concerned about dumping all that hot air from your up pipe directly into your engine bay?

John
07 WRX
post #8 of 43 Old 05-11-2010, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Syno- yes. The silicon spray is more of a sealant than an actual heat stopper. It keeps the fiberglass wrap from being able to soak in fluids such as oil, which can then ignite. It also help repel water which can actually cause fiberglass to rot over time. I got a killer deal on the stuff to so the thermal coating from GS was more than free.

Man Show- the dump tube dumps behind the front right axle and a bit lower than the axle... It essentially dumps at the bend at the bottom of the downpipe, so none of it goes into the engine bay, it goes right under the car straight down into the road.

All my mods are listed in my profile as well, I don't know why you can't see them. Here they are just in case:

Cleverley Tuned
COBB DP
COBB CBE
Perrin CAI
Perrin TMIC
GrimmSpeed PnP'd Exhaust Manifolds
GrimmSpeed Crosspipe
GrimmSpeed 3-Port EBCS
GrimmSpeed 38mm EWG Up Pipe + Dump Tube
TiAL 38mm Vband EWG

Prosport Electrical Boost Gauge
Prosport EGT Gauge
Innovate LC-1 Wideband DB Red Gauge
Custom A-Pillar 3-Pod setup
RallyArmor ## Mudflaps
COBB Turbo Heat Shield
COBB Shift Knob
SharpHID 55w 5000k
Kartboy Short Shifter
Kartboy front and rear bushings
Perrin Subframe Lockdown Kit
Perrin 25mm front and 22mm rear swaybars
Perrin front and rear endlinks

-Chris
post #9 of 43 Old 05-11-2010, 08:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

rollertoaster is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
I knew you would be the first to chime in lol.

Plumbing it back in cuts out a lot of the benefits of having an EWG (one of which is reducing turbulence and back pressure in the dp), and it really only opens up when I get on it, which is rare. I'll plumb it in if I get sick of hearing it when I do get on it; if not, it'll stay as a dump tube.
Plumbing it back in does not nullify the benefits of having an EWG. You are partially correct about the turbulence. The only reason for people loosing power due to recirculating, is that they either plumb it back in too close, at the wrong angle, or both. You have 3" exhaust so if you do it right you won't lose anything by going recirc.

Try it out, make your own decision, but if you do decide to plumb it in follow these two rules:

1. Plumb it back in as far away from the turbo as possible (an absolute minimum of 18" behind the turbo)

2. intersect the DP at an angle of no more than 45degrees (30 would be optimal)

here a couple pics of my recirc setup on my last car.

I had 3-4ft of 3" downpipe before my recirc junction. Then all the tubing went to 3.25"

14psi out of a gt3076r on a 2.4l @ 9.7:1 compression ratio. Can you guess what kind of car it's on??
post #10 of 43 Old 05-11-2010, 11:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

jdowrx is an unknown
Looks awesome man. I've been looking to get one for my car. Where did you buy it from? I searched around and ebay seems to be the cheapest place to get the up pipe and wastegate. Anyways, let us know the results from the tune. Im interested to see the results with it installed.
post #11 of 43 Old 05-12-2010, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollertoaster View Post
14psi out of a gt3076r on a 2.4l @ 9.7:1 compression ratio. Can you guess what kind of car it's on??
Elipse/talon?

-Chris
post #12 of 43 Old 05-12-2010, 01:16 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
rollertoaster, great info. I was about to post the same myself but I didn't have those sexy pictures.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #13 of 43 Old 05-12-2010, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I figure if I do plumb it back in I will try to get it attached where the dp bends to go under the car.. My buddy has a welder and I'm an ok welder so it shouldn't be too much work.

-Chris
post #14 of 43 Old 05-12-2010, 06:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

rollertoaster is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
rollertoaster, great info. I was about to post the same myself but I didn't have those sexy pictures.
thanks, I know from experience. I went through 4 different setups until I found the best compromise. Good thing I have a Mig and Tig at my disposal..
post #15 of 43 Old 05-15-2010, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Well I may have set a record.. Took the exhaust manifolds/crosspipe, up pipe, turbo heat shield, intercooler, and downpipe in barely an hour. That made me happy.

I was able to get everything else back on except the exhaust manifold. Still waiting on the heat wrap to dry and then I can coat/bake it in the morning. That's all I have to do and I'm done. I'm getting retuned on Monday night so I'm just going to run spring pressure on the wategate until then. I don't plan on seeing boost until we tune though.

Once my wife gets off my phone I can load my pictures I took to photobucket and load em up... Stand by.

Here are the pictures:

GrimmSpeed EWG Up Pipe vs Stock Catless Up Pipe. GrimmSpeed pipe is thermally coated, then wrapped, then sprayed. Heat=bad!

Wastegate itself

Looking at the dump tube

Clears the axle pretty well

Closer shot of axle clearance

Shot of the whole assembly

Looking at the wastegate from above. Also the grimmspeed IWG bracket. Solid piece and holds the gate shut EXTREMELY well.

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement