Got my header and the work began - Page 3 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 Old 11-16-2009, 11:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Its something to consider. I like the way Boost Addicts sounds. It just sounds like performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 11-16-2009, 04:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

ratfink is a helpful contributing member
The STi exhaust would sound a little different, but his is a touch loud for my tastes. My car is a DD and I carry people in the back seat on a weekly basis. I don't want any drone or loud reverb on decel in the cabin. I like to pretend it's a business/economy car during the week. LOL

Brad

AEM CAI, Perrin ELH wrapped, Catted Downpipe, Stage II XPT tune, K4RT30Y STS, lip, shark fin
#33 Old 11-16-2009, 04:57 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratfink View Post
The STi exhaust would sound a little different, but his is a touch loud for my tastes. My car is a DD and I carry people in the back seat on a weekly basis. I don't want any drone or loud reverb on decel in the cabin. I like to pretend it's a business/economy car during the week. LOL
Brad that last statement made me laugh pretty good. I took 3 of my co-workers around the other day. The whined about being a little cramped (all of us arond the height of 5'11"- to 6'1"), until of course I hit the go pedal. And they were like ??, its only a 4-cyl?? lol

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#34 Old 11-16-2009, 05:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

LOL One of the reason I bought an 08 instead of a previous gen is the interior room. It has the same room as my 325 did, but about 6" more headroom. It's great for 4 people. 5 is tight in anything but a full size sedan or SUV IMO. We drive an elderly women around sometimes, and my wife drives while I sit in the back seat. I am only 5'8", but I have plenty of room.....especially if I sit behind my 5'1" wife. LOL

Brad

AEM CAI, Perrin ELH wrapped, Catted Downpipe, Stage II XPT tune, K4RT30Y STS, lip, shark fin
#35 Old 11-17-2009, 04:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

Thought I'd throw up a couple installed pics I took before I put the belly back on. This is after about 100 miles or so. (horrible cell pics I know)

Brad

#36 Old 11-17-2009, 05:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
It looks like you put some 80s leg warmers on your car. LOL. Nicely done though. I also love the business/economy car statement , its nice to think it is every now and then.
#37 Old 11-17-2009, 06:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
It looks like you put some 80s leg warmers on your car. LOL. Nicely done though. I also love the business/economy car statement , its nice to think it is every now and then.
Flash Dance anyone? LOL

Brad

#38 Old 12-12-2009, 06:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

AWD COnvert is an unknown
Question About Installation

Hi,

Great writeup by ratfink. I have a Perrin EL header on order for my 2002 WRX and had one question after reading your story.

Did I understand correctly that you temporarily installed header on your car to see where slip joint was positioned, then removed it, completed the entire weld, then shipped it out for coating before permanently installing?

I gather that you re-installed the stock manifold while the header was out for coating?

I ask since I wonder if I should coat first, leaving slip joint area untouched (if possible) and then install only once.

Again, very nice post with pictures. I hope you don't mind a question from a "lesser" 2.0L owner. I did own an 04 STI once.

Thanks,
Jean
#39 Old 12-12-2009, 07:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

Not exactly. First off, mine were very used, so I figured they had shrunk as much as they would and were safe to weld. Second, I mounted the headers and welded them on the car so they would fit perfectly. I reused the old gaskets at that point, and used new gaskets on final install. Then I sanded/wire brushed them until clean and coated them myself with spray header paint. It's suppose to have ceramic, but I dunno. I just wanted to protect them from surface rust under the wrap. I coated with about 6-7 coats, cured fully, and then wrapped. Coated the wrap with silicone header spray another 6-7 coats. After 300 miles of running around in rainy conditions without the belly pan they still looked the same as when I installed them. Hope that helps.

Brad

#40 Old 10-12-2010, 10:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

baumgartenb is an unknown
Garage
hey, I'm getting an el header tomorrow, how long did it take for you to install it?