Got my header and the work began - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 40 Old 11-14-2009, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ratfink is a helpful contributing member
Are you wrapped too? I know it kills the warranty, that's why I bought used.

Brad

AEM CAI, Perrin ELH wrapped, Catted Downpipe, Stage II XPT tune, K4RT30Y STS, lip, shark fin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 40 Old 11-14-2009, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Well here is the raw video I took with my small digital camera. I tried to edit the sound to get it more realistic but couldn't get it right. You need to have the volume very low to even get close to how it really sounds.

Brad

AEM CAI, Perrin ELH wrapped, Catted Downpipe, Stage II XPT tune, K4RT30Y STS, lip, shark fin
post #18 of 40 Old 11-14-2009, 07:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
that sounds pretty damn mean.

so stock its not even funny...just kinda sad :(
-Randy
post #19 of 40 Old 11-14-2009, 09:05 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Doesnt sound bad at all. Seems like it still sounds some what like a subie, nothing like any other 4 cylinder.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #20 of 40 Old 11-14-2009, 09:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
^^^agreed

-Randy
post #21 of 40 Old 11-14-2009, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

It's actually allot more mellow then it sounds in the video. It's just sounds a bit smoother then stock.

I might try to get another clip from the side so it won't overwhelm the mic. Maybe tomorrow.

Brad

post #22 of 40 Old 11-14-2009, 10:36 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Well from listenting to numerous video clips, and then hearing so many others in person since having my subie. I can understand what you are trying to describe and can kind of underestand the sound of the car. I think since you are first about performance, you made a wise decision. I have seen you be of much help here Brad, you dont just do something to do it. You definetly have me contemplating my setup when it comes time to add go fast bits (again). Im glad you shared this, thanks.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #23 of 40 Old 11-14-2009, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Thanks for the kind words. It's not like I don't like the boxer sound, I just like the skinny pedal better. LOL Couldn't get romraider to work last night so I have no logs, but its feeling really good.....still smells though. hehehe

Brad

post #24 of 40 Old 11-14-2009, 11:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
Doesnt sound bad at all. Seems like it still sounds some what like a subie, nothing like any other 4 cylinder.

still much more "throaty" than the typical honda or toyota sound under comparable conditions...I like it.

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
post #25 of 40 Old 11-15-2009, 12:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
Honda doesn't do 4 cylinders this big. . . not usually. The biggest 4 cylinder Honda you get is the 2.4L TSX that I know of. You don't see too many of those with a decent sounding exhaust. That leaves it to their dinky little 1.6L Civics, and maybe even as large as the 2.0L RSX (Wait, did they do a 2.2 in the RSX?) Anyway, no matter what you do with an equal length header, a Subie will always sound throatier than a Honda. Plus, add in the resistance the turbo puts on the exhaust, and you'll never get the bumble bee buzz out of the engine. Just my point of view. The more EL headers I hear on Subies, the more I like the way they sound and the more I feel like they really sound cooler than unequal.
post #26 of 40 Old 11-15-2009, 06:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
your right...they did a 2.0 and a 2.2 in the RSX....Porsche did put a 3.0 in the 944 and 968. Thats a big 4 cyl.

-Randy
post #27 of 40 Old 11-15-2009, 01:38 PM
Suspended

Boost Addict is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratfink View Post
If anything the car is slightly quieter. You don't hear the exhaust pulses in the cabin quite as much anymore. I was surprised how much smother the motor feels. Even at mild throttle is just seems not to need to work as hard. I need to let it learn for a few more miles before I make a guess on power. BTW my mileage is up about 2 MPG as it's learming. LOL
This is exactly why this is one of my favorite mods!

I think I described it as a lighter and more effortless rev up. It really does make the car feel different, even in gentle driving. Glad you're loving it!
post #28 of 40 Old 11-15-2009, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

So far so good. BTW Boost, did you wrap or coat yours? I was just wondering how much longer it's gonna stink. It's been cold here, and my skid is still off, so I think the wind is keeping it cooler then usual. I'll be putting the skid back on in the next day or two.

Brad

post #29 of 40 Old 11-15-2009, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I just realized what the car sounds like now (only a whole lot quieter), It sounds like my 98 Honda VFR Interceptor after I built an underseat exhaust. It was a 800cc V4 with equal length headers as well.

Sold that bike and one very similar to it to get the STi. LOL

Brad

post #30 of 40 Old 11-15-2009, 04:06 PM
Suspended

Boost Addict is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratfink View Post
So far so good. BTW Boost, did you wrap or coat yours? I was just wondering how much longer it's gonna stink. It's been cold here, and my skid is still off, so I think the wind is keeping it cooler then usual. I'll be putting the skid back on in the next day or two.
I haven't coated or wrapped mine. It's something I may do in the future. If I do, I'll be doing everything at once: header, turbo, downpipe.

Many people have told me that my car sounds a LOT like a bike. Especially when you give it a little free-rev before engaging the gear at a light... Obviously, it's not as free or high revving as a bike, but I definitely agree that the sound is probably closer to that than anything else (from the interior).

--

Just added a video of it with my new TXS CBE on my page, if you wanna check it out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement