Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-on Tech (EJ255/EJ257 2.5L 2008+ WRX, STi, and GT) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Fms/process/spearco? (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/fms-process-spearco-31377/)

djc1827 09-25-2011 05:02 PM

Fms/process/spearco?

I am trying to decide on these two intercoolers tmic or fmic? I am not going to run meth although if I do go tmic I will be using turbo blanket. I do not plan on upgrading my turbo in the future because I do not wanna build my bottom end or rebuild my trans. I like the vf52 and I think its the best street turbo out there and makes plenty of tq. If I were to going to upgrade it would be an hta68 cause the 18g seems to be a let down vs vf52 unless you go 10cm blouch. I want feedback from people who own or have owned one of these intercoolers! I also want to know the install time for both intercoolers and quality of welds, chances of leaking etc?

I have owned a perrin it did the job but rubbed on slave cyl. I want to run something that is better than the perrin. Process is wider but not as thick. Is that really better? Do I have to cut or hack to install FMS FMIC? Is the FMS tmic as good PROCESS tmic? The pictures and opinions are mixed. Does that coating keep it cooler or has anyone thought about wrapping pipes with thermal wrap? Any details on the size of this imaginary SPEARCO core?

2011 wrx sedan base (3200lbs)

bout half done on mods

750cc/pump
invidia catless dp
nameless cb exh/muffler delete/possible cutout
gt spec equal header and up pipe
cobb AP and short ram intake
perrin inlet hose
17x8 enkei pf01 rims 5lbs lighter that stock
Stock Dunlop tires
ACT HD street clutch
Kartboy short shift kit

Goals high 11s on pump map and mid 11s on 110oct map (stock turbo) Is this possible? Of course with me driving and this time I will use flat foot shifting!

If you got something negative to say about the vf52 or you are mad that your wrx/sti runs 12s with 20g and bigger intercooler click here
My old car [url=http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1992809]New record on vf52 - NASIOC[/url]

RcrsWetDream 09-26-2011 08:33 AM

My comment on the thickness of the core: the thicker the core the more the air gets heated up by the time it gets to the bottom of the TMIC/back of the FMIC (so just think of the front 50% getting cooled properly and the back 50% not getting cooled as well).

The perrin being thicker isn't necessarily a good thing because of this. The process west, on the other hand, is long and thinner, so it actually does a good job cooling because the air cooling the intercooler gets heated less, and has more surface area facing the ambient air to cool as well. I only have experience with the Perrin, but everybody I know with the PW loves it, and you can use pre LGT style turbos with a simple adaptor pipe if you ever decide you want to do that.

djc1827 09-26-2011 09:59 PM

The price is so high for process west tho and I can buy a fmic for that price and prob install it in 2-3 hours. I heard the fms fmic isn't bad and install goes well too. A shitty fmic is better than top quality tmic when it comes down to cooling the air. The lag can't be more than 300rpms and stop n go traffic with tmic your screwed. I had to ice my perrin tmic in between runs when it was 85. I couldn't imagine running a tmic in texas or ariz lol. I can't run old skool turbos with fms fmic? It does have spot for stock bov too I heard

RcrsWetDream 09-26-2011 10:09 PM

You can run any kind of turbo you want with an FMIC, just not a TMIC like the Perrin that has the flange to bolt to the turbo. FMS comes with adaptors to work with the LGT style turbo of the 08+ WRX as well as the standard style turbo layout like the STI still has.

If it matters, the FMS is on my list. If you want a smaller FMIC, check out RacerX. It even keeps the stock crash bar.

turmic 09-26-2011 10:21 PM

My custom FMIC from my tuner will keep the stock crash bar because my tuner sees too many people ruin their FMIC, radiator, and other accessories from a front end collision that the stock crash bar could've saved some damage. Too many people get rid of the crash bar and it just opens up a can of worms on even slow speed crash damages.

djc1827 09-27-2011 11:05 PM

Does racerx fmic keep stock crash bar?

pzr2874 09-28-2011 05:47 AM

[quote=RcrsWetDream;268565]You can run any kind of turbo you want with an FMIC, just not a TMIC like the Perrin that has the flange to bolt to the turbo. FMS comes with adaptors to work with the LGT style turbo of the 08+ WRX as well as the standard style turbo layout like the STI still has.

[B][COLOR="Lime"]If it matters, the FMS is on my list. If you want a smaller FMIC, check out RacerX. It even keeps the stock crash bar[/COLOR][/B].[/quote]

Think so

djc1827 09-30-2011 08:59 PM

Damn racer x fmic sounds like a done deal...waiting to see this spearco tmic tho it looks nasty..might blow process west away and be cheaper by 200$