Finally Stepping up to an STi! - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 08-06-2010, 10:15 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
PPGs and the likes (other gears similar in design, i.e Albins, PAR, DS1) are heavier than stock. I catn remember by how much. But the gears are wider and the teeth usually taller, adding more metal, in turn adding more weight. Your MPG depends on alot (we all know that). Gear ratio, HP (which can net better sometimes) and the likes. My Albins gearset is 1-5, stock ratio, Im hoping to keep about the same gas mileage, if not, oh well thats the price you pay for modding your car.

Sorry for getting OT but thought I would add my two cents here.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 08-06-2010, 10:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
all I know is that my dogbox 5 is still hella light compared to the 6 speed...although part of that could be the diffs because I know the quaife's are significantly lighter than stock

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#18 Old 08-07-2010, 04:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

Ducks is an unknown
A five speed is better for drag racing but usually real drivers like to add some turns to their track and in that case a six speed is much better. I have done autocross with a 5 speed and a 6 speed and the 6 is far better. Also, with the money you would spend on a new trans that makes up the price difference in the STI and the WRX.

No matter what the STI is always a better sports car then the WRX if money is not an option. But if you plan on modding an WRX more then $3000 you might just think before you buy that WRX and spend the extra 3k on an STI.
#19 Old 08-07-2010, 08:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
autocross yes, road courses it all depends

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#20 Old 08-07-2010, 01:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
No matter what the STI is always a better sports car then the WRX if money is not an option. But if you plan on modding an WRX more then $3000 you might just think before you buy that WRX and spend the extra 3k on an STI.
I couldn't agree more, even though I'm paying more than $3000 to take the step up. But speaking of the transmission, I couldn't believe how much smoother it felt! It made my W feel clunky, but of course I didn't have anything done with the bushings or shifter at all. The clutch is lighter, but still adequate, but it seems like it will be more tolerable in traffic. My friend's 09 WRX had the same clutch feel as the STi does, so maybe that was a change between 08-09 WRX's?

Only 2 more days and I'll have it! Does anyone know about the AP if I can load the STi maps to begin with, or if it has to be sent in to Cobb for a change in firmware first? I'm putting most of the stock parts back on the WRX so that I can remove the AP, but I don't know if that will go straight in with the different maps loaded or not? I'll try it either way and post the results if no one has the answer off the top of their heads.

Also, would my STi Pinks be an upgrade from the stock springs on the STi? Or should I try to sell those? Does anyone know what the sway bar rates are on the 08? I know the 09 WRX is 1mm thicker F/R. I think I may have seen that the 08 WRX-STi had the same diameter sways. Is that correct? If so, I'll keep the sways for the STi too. Thanks for everyone's input.
#21 Old 08-07-2010, 10:18 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Have you checked out Cobbs site, or contacted them about the AP?

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#22 Old 08-08-2010, 12:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

gastoys is an unknown
Congrats!!!

I was in the market for the STI, but after seeing the $10k price difference and an additional $30 per month for insurance along with a limited budget I had to go with the WRX. Maybe in a few years when they release the 350hp STI I might step up.
#23 Old 08-09-2010, 07:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

tonyturbo13 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastoys View Post
Congrats!!!

I was in the market for the STI, but after seeing the $10k price difference and an additional $30 per month for insurance along with a limited budget I had to go with the WRX. Maybe in a few years when they release the 350hp STI I might step up.

^^
That's what I think I'll wait for too...I'll stick with my '09 WRX for now, mod it just a bit... Congrats on the find and the step up though Hondafan, I hope you enjoy your new ride...
#24 Old 08-15-2010, 04:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

So I got it. I haven't really gotten on the internet in a little while though so I thought I'd post a picture for everyone to see it cleaned in the sun.

Last edited by Hondafan; 08-15-2010 at 04:46 PM. Reason: wrong image...
#25 Old 08-24-2010, 07:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Loving it....Looks really good.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#26 Old 08-26-2010, 11:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

Thanks. I like it! I did also find out that the AP is the exact same thing between all the models that use the AP-SUB-003. You just download the firmware for it and then the maps for it too. Actually, the maps are on there twice now, so you probably don't need to move the maps onto it. The car already did have an AP, so I don't know why they didn't leave it with the car as it's useless without paying Cobb $400 to reprogram it. At least now I KNOW what tune is on the car, even if it is just an OTS map. I've been thinking about getting the AEM CAI, as now Cobb is offering a specific map for the 08-09 STi with the AEM CAI. I really like the sound that comes with an intake, and that's the only reason I really want it, as I can't imagine it adds THAT much power. I'll keep everyone posted as I always do.
#27 Old 08-26-2010, 11:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Also, there's a dyno coming to SLC. Ziptie Dynowerks. Should be open soon, and it's a mustang.

-Chris
#28 Old 08-26-2010, 11:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

Sweet! Good to know! Let me know if you see it open any time, please. I'll keep looking though
#29 Old 08-26-2010, 12:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I sent them an email yesterday asking if they have any specific dates and prices. No response yet. All I know is their website says coming August 2010.... So they have a week lol.

-Chris