Finally Stepping up to an STi! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 08-03-2010, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
Finally Stepping up to an STi!

It's finally come time to retire from a regular old WRX and take the step into an STi. The hatchback has really grown on me, but it's mostly about getting the car I've always expected my car to be, though to this point it's fallen short. I love my WRX, but there are a few things I have to say are sparking the motivation for this change.

I want something that feels balanced for power to braking ability. I feel like the WRX just yearns for more brakes, but you can't give it more in the pedal.

I upgraded the sway bar to that of an '09 (thanks to Rcrs Wet Dream) to stiffen it, but yet again was left wanting more. I changed the springs to the STi Pinks and they were every bit I expected them to be. Smooth but firm when combined with the sways.

I modded the car to stage 2 with Perrin's package with a Perrin-specific map for the downpipe, which was a significant increase in power, but when I went to Seattle recently I visited my friend who has an '09 (which by Perrin's advertised power figures should be about the same) but the pull is so low in the rev range that I just expect something more as I press in the throttle. His car continued to pull all the way to redline, and mine dies off as early as 5500.

I'll miss my navigation and winter package a la premium package (heated seats, mirrors, and windshield wipers), but for all the STi goodies I think it's worth it.

Now on to the good part. Monday I'll complete the purchase (I have the process started as my brother works for CarMax and you have to start a process with Safety/IM stuff to hold it, but am in London right now so I'd getting it when I get home) of an '08 STi WRB with gold BBS wheels. It has 7K miles and is 100% clean. No accidents, never had a panel removed, repainted, nothing. It is generally unmolested, except for a Cobb downpipe and a Blitz Nu -something exhaust. I was surprised how quiet the car is with the exhaust. It has these huge quad out exhaust that you'd expect to belt out tons of noise, but it's surprisingly subtle. At idle, you hear it, but when you romp on it, the engine up front is louder than the back. That's what I want when I actually get going. I didn't like the drone of my SPT exhaust. My car has 44K on it, and I'm reverting it back to stock before I trade it in. The STi doesn't have an AccessPort or anything I could see for EM, but it doesn't have a CEL and it runs apparently fine as is, but I want to keep my AP for the STi. I believe I'll have to have Cobb do something with it because I'm not sure they're compatible as is. I'll otherwise be selling/holding on to all my other parts. I'm in no way trying to advertise these parts on here. That's why I won't list what parts I'll be selling. Here is a before and after of sorts. . . My old WRX to the new STi:

-The WRX

- The STi

I've wanted better performance out of my WRX, but I also feel like I've reached the point where I won't be satisfied with the base of this WRX and not an STi. Brakes and suspension alone would cost more to upgrade the WRX to equivalent, so I'm calling it quits on my current baby, and adopting a new one.

Oh, and the STi has Rally Armor already. I'm not really a fan of Rally Armor, so I may be making a new post sometime to offer to trade somebody who wants it for their stockers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 08-03-2010, 08:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
congrats bro.....i think in 2 more years I'll also make the switch. Nice looking STI.

so stock its not even funny...just kinda sad :(
-Randy
post #3 of 29 Old 08-03-2010, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
I was going to wait for the 11 STi sedan, but this is too good of a deal, and with only 7K miles, there's nothing to lose. I'm back under manufacturer's warranty! Thanks for the support!
post #4 of 29 Old 08-04-2010, 01:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Congratulations! Can't help but feel excited for you from just reading your post!

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
post #5 of 29 Old 08-04-2010, 10:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Score... But it has rallyarmor? Mudflaps? If so you just take them off, there is nothing to put in it's place to revert it back to stock if that's what you're talking about. Just sell em on nastyoc for $75 or something.

-Chris
post #6 of 29 Old 08-04-2010, 10:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
The sexyness of the STI can not be denied...lol. You'll love it. Nice find on the new ride. Another one gives into STI envy.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #7 of 29 Old 08-05-2010, 10:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
I WILL NEVER GIVE IN!!!...just saying

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #8 of 29 Old 08-05-2010, 11:12 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Congrats on the step up. But Im standing proud with Matt on never (ever) owning an STI.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #9 of 29 Old 08-05-2010, 11:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by basco View Post
I WILL NEVER GIVE IN!!!...just saying
It's easy to stick to your guns when your car puts down 150+whp more than a stock STI and you have a fully upgraded suspension.

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
post #10 of 29 Old 08-05-2010, 12:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
Congrats on the step up. But Im standing proud with Matt on never (ever) owning an STI.
YESSS!!! but when I'm done with this car I think I'll step out of subarus for a while, been looking at B5 Audi S4's for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisiX View Post
It's easy to stick to your guns when your car puts down 150+whp more than a stock STI and you have a fully upgraded suspension.
haha right now it's a bit more than that, I just don't have a scanner to upload the new dynosheet...just a teaser but 5XX

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #11 of 29 Old 08-05-2010, 10:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ducks is an unknown
Im switching from my 09 wagon to an 08 sti. If you have an WRX you will never have a 6speed and be stuck with the glass box tranny,also you will never have true all-wheel drive like the sti. You can have 300hp more then a stock STI but your tranny will shatter. Thats why im switching.
post #12 of 29 Old 08-06-2010, 03:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks View Post
Im switching from my 09 wagon to an 08 sti. If you have an WRX you will never have a 6speed and be stuck with the glass box tranny,also you will never have true all-wheel drive like the sti. You can have 300hp more then a stock STI but your tranny will shatter. Thats why im switching.
(in best Yosemite Sam voice) "Dems fightn' words!"

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
post #13 of 29 Old 08-06-2010, 08:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks View Post
I don't care about 6th gear...plus the 5 speed is better geared for racing...and I'll raise you my PPG dogbox 5-speed and Quaife differentials anyday

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #14 of 29 Old 08-06-2010, 01:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
This might be a dumb question, but are PPG gears significantly heavier than stock gears? I don't remember reading anything about that. And if that's the case, does gas mileage decrease significantly when the gears are installed? Not that I care about that... just curious. Plus when you have PPG gears, odds are that a plethora of other goodies have been installed/upgraded and gas mileage is affected by that stuff more than the trans.

Also, how often do you change your trans fluid Matt? I've been reading that it's common to change it more often than the factory recommended 30k intervals...

John
07 WRX
post #15 of 29 Old 08-06-2010, 06:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

to be honest I couldn't really tell you if they're heavier, I didn't pay attention when installing them lol...and as for fuel economy my cars just so modded I couldn't tell one way or the other if the gears affect the fuel economy, although ever since I switched to standalone I've been getting insane HWY mileage like 35+...and as for the gear fluid changes PPG recommended between 10-15K or once a year whichever comes first.

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement